Sound/Volume limited with soft top (only) or hard top removed - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Sound/Volume limited with soft top (only) or hard top removed

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 09-02-2013, 08:05 PM   #31
Godholio
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancientspear View Post
Godholio, wouldn't that still leave us with the problem of spraying our cargo area with wiper fluid whenever someone hits the switch? Stopping an annoyance with a real defect is not a fix, I would rather duct tape my windshield to fix a crack than do the jumper thing if it means I can pump wiper fluid in the cargo area.
I don't think either of these wires has anything to do with the wiper or the washer. It would be beyond insanity to run that through the stereo system...they just share a harness with those wires.

The last post on that page, however, is completely accurate.

Utah Jeep Crew #148
No powerball here? How am I supposed to finance the mods?!?
'12 Sport...miss my YJ for all the wrong reasons though
Godholio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2013, 09:21 PM   #32
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Actually from what I can find in the wiring diagram, the black wire is the ground for all so it would definitely affect the wipers, defroster, and washer. Why send 2 wires all the way to the very back plug if they are not required for something else as well. A simple computer input could otherwise do the same.
2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited. Auto, Tow pkg, Dual Tops, MyGig, Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, 35x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on Blackrock Viper Alloys, Flex-o-lite trans cooler, Mr Grille billet grille inserts, AEV Prem Bumper ETC.. AND a Locked and Lifted Honda Foreman for when the trails get real tight
JTPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2013, 08:48 AM   #33
JoeBIII
2014 JK Wrangler 

I have to think there's a circuit all the way back to the stereo - that is open if the top is off, and closed with the hard top on (and harness plugged in). We just need to figure out how the wires from the factory hard top harness map back to the radio. Tough for me to do though, as I don't have the hard top harness.
JoeBIII is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2013, 09:22 AM   #34
Godholio
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTPhoto View Post
Actually from what I can find in the wiring diagram, the black wire is the ground for all so it would definitely affect the wipers, defroster, and washer. Why send 2 wires all the way to the very back plug if they are not required for something else as well. A simple computer input could otherwise do the same.
Sharing a ground doesn't mean much...a lot of things share grounds without interfering with each other. I'm not saying you're wrong, but it depends on what signals are actually being sent through this harness, which so far nobody knows.
Utah Jeep Crew #148
No powerball here? How am I supposed to finance the mods?!?
'12 Sport...miss my YJ for all the wrong reasons though
Godholio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2013, 07:43 AM   #35
ancientspear
2013 JK Wrangler 

Ok I'm finally home. My 2013 (May production I think but I need to confirm) JKUR with dual top and 430N definitely has some volume change happening when you unplug that harness in the rear. Had someone listen to the sub while I plugged the harness in/out at a reasonable volume. What happened? We both heard a definite change but it wasn't as dramatic as many make it out to be. Also, no noticeable change in sound from the sub so it was definitely happening in either the front and/or sound bar speakers.

Question: I seem to recall a sound setting that does volume leveling based on speed but I can no longer locate it. Was I mistaken that we have this and I'm just remembering my old Kenwood/Pioneer decks from previous vehicles? Perhaps this feature on/off is more exaggerated with soft top removed and rather than increasing volume at higher speeds it's really just turning it down at slower speeds. I bring this up because if that feature is in our decks, perhaps turning it off would cancel out this side-effect we are talking about.
ancientspear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.