softtop issues. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > softtop issues.

Rugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped OGreat prices on seating!--Oconee Off-RoadOconee Off-Road Now Offering Zone Off-Road Products!!!

Unread 05-23-2013, 08:50 PM   #1
newguywrangler
2008 JK Wrangler 

softtop issues.

Hey guys,
set up my new soft top this weekend and got a few questions.
On my old soft op, when i latched the front latches i felt like the header moved forward or up a little bit, yet with the new top the ear of the header ( closet to your forehead) drops down upon latching.
Also the old top would go flush with the metal above the windshield, no groove or nothing, yet with the new top there is enough space that a pencil could sit in the groove and not roll out.

By the way its all new material, old hardware, and it was about 84 degrees out, top sat out all day in the heat before installation..

Any feedback?

newguywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2013, 08:54 PM   #2
ncb

I haven't seen a stock soft top where the leading edge of the header touched the metal windshield frame. All have a gap where you can see some of the seal.
ncb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2013, 08:57 PM   #3
newguywrangler
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncb View Post
I haven't seen a stock soft top where the leading edge of the header touched the metal windshield frame. All have a gap where you can see some of the seal.
sorry, maybe i didn't describe this in the best of ways, what i mean was, the previous top had a sliver of seal showing, yet with the new top i can literally rest a pencil in the gap and it would still have wiggle room in the gap. This lets water in to the vehicle and honestly is a pain.
newguywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2013, 08:33 AM   #4
Double Dog
Back from da stinkin' box

2007 JK Wrangler 

Don't tuck the rear of the soft top prior to latching the front, it makes for the gap. Clamp front header first and then go to the back and tuck the rear corners, then finish off the rest. Mine has a small gap when secured.
Double Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2013, 09:15 AM   #5
doliss
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguywrangler View Post
sorry, maybe i didn't describe this in the best of ways, what i mean was, the previous top had a sliver of seal showing, yet with the new top i can literally rest a pencil in the gap and it would still have wiggle room in the gap. This lets water in to the vehicle and honestly is a pain.
Sounds like you've got too much of a gap. There is always a small gap (should be less than 1cm) between the front of the top header and the metal frame around the windsheild. But if you secure the header first, then work towards the back of the jeep securing the top you should eliminate that leak. Unless of course you are getting a leak when you open the door and have runoff from the top, that you can do nothing about other than park on an incline
doliss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.