Soft top thoughts, Fog lights, and BEARS?! OH MY! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Soft top thoughts, Fog lights, and BEARS?! OH MY!

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 11-03-2011, 06:37 PM   #1
AlanZ
2007 JK Wrangler 

Soft top thoughts, Fog lights, and BEARS?! OH MY!

Long time since I posted here, needless to say my Jeep didn't get much attention this summer, Short of a new bumper and winch.
First:
My soft top. Factory one. The other day we got a good 7 inches of snow overnight. As I was lazy, I only cleared off the fenders and hood, what I needed to drive. Hence even with a little driving (No highway) There was still some left up top. I went to my brother's later than night, and when I went to leave the inside of my top was SOAKED. It hadn't dripped anywhere, but it warmed up later, hence I think it was condensation. Or perhaps could my Sailcloth be losing it's water-proofness?

Fog Lights: I removed the factory ones due to my Smittybuilt Stinger bumper. I was gonna put them as rock lights, but I miss having fog lights. Is there any way to grab harnesses that will plug into my factory harnesses up front that won't trip the breakers with some Dually LED lights? Maybe a set of cheap Wal-mart fogs? I know the factory harness didn't like anything but OEM bulbs, but I figured I'd ask. This would just let me keep away from using another switch, and let me use the factory one.

Phew! Sorry for the book guys. Thanks in advance!

AlanZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2011, 06:45 AM   #2
Spike6901

Bears?

Soft tops are only good for so much...it is better to keep 'em dry for sure if you can. I used to throw a heavy blanket over the top on my CJ so when I came out in the morning, I could yank it off along with the ice and/or snow. It saved a ton of prep time.

Those cheapo Walmart fog lamps are really, really bad so don't use 'em unless you are just set on it. One wheeling trip and they may not work anymore.

Do a little homework and I will bet you can splice into the harness but I am not a fan of that approach...in reality, if you want some 'real' fog lamps, you will want to run them on a dedicated wire and switch because they will simply draw too much through the factory setup.
2014: Wrangler#1 Father and oldest Son build and teach project
2016: Wrangler#2 Father and youngest Son build and teach project
Spike6901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2011, 08:41 AM   #3
xplosivo1
2011 JK Wrangler 

You can run any light you want off of the factory harness as long as the harness is used to activate a relay. The cpu only throws a code ans shuts things off when there is over draw. Under draw does not affect it's operation. (atleast it didn't on my 07, I haven't done any mods to my 11). From my experience and others here the only workaround for using the factory switch is to run it through a relay.

"I can never again see a UNITED STATES MARINE without experiencing a feeling of reverence." -GEN. JOHNSON, US.ARMY
xplosivo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2011, 07:28 PM   #4
AlanZ
2007 JK Wrangler 

Like I said I'll probably pick up a set of LED fog's from Dually or whatever the company is called. I was just curious how to wire them in using the factory fog harness and plug that's up front.

Bears? You've never seen The Wizard of Oz?

I might do that next snowstorm with the blanket. That's a good idea.
AlanZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2011, 08:08 PM   #5
thirstypirate
2007 JK Wrangler 

I really like the blanket idea. I just bought a hardtop tonight off of Craiglist for the winters here in Pittsburgh or I would be adding that trick to my repertoire.
thirstypirate is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.