Soft top slashed last night.... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Soft top slashed last night....

Dana 30/ Dana 44 Chromoly shaft Kits- ECGSFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201

Unread 10-29-2013, 10:21 AM   #1
irishluck
2013 JK Wrangler 

Soft top slashed last night....

Woke up this morning to go to work and I opened my door to find my seat and steering wheel covered in water (rain). My windows were up so I looked up and had a 12" cut above the driver seat from some stupid punks. My doors were unlocked and nothing was taken. Damn Halloween pranks that's going to cost me a lot.

My reason for this post is what do you all do for security systems?

Ive heard something called a proximity security system for jeeps that use like infrared lasers or something for when you have the top of doors off.

Anyone ever heard of this or used this? Maybe you have found something that works?

irishluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2013, 10:40 AM   #2
brianjw
2012 JK Wrangler 

It's not going to stop someone from slashing a window just for ****s, in my opinion. Who really pays attention to a whining car alarm now anyways? Ever since the aftermarket alarms became so popular and were poorly configured everyone ignores them. One of my brothers use to spend thousands on car stereo systems and car alarms. The damn thing went off every time someone parked next it. His systems were stolen several times and nobody seemed to pay attention to the alarms.
brianjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2013, 10:42 AM   #3
Valkyrie0002
2009 JK Wrangler 

I have some old car alarms that we modified to work on motorcycles. These had an optional proximity sensor with adjustable sensitivity. I installed a sensor in the cap of my truck by the cab. It would go off if anyone got within inches of the truck.
Valkyrie0002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2013, 11:28 AM   #4
irishluck
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjw View Post
It's not going to stop someone from slashing a window just for ****s, in my opinion. Who really pays attention to a whining car alarm now anyways? Ever since the aftermarket alarms became so popular and were poorly configured everyone ignores them. One of my brothers use to spend thousands on car stereo systems and car alarms. The damn thing went off every time someone parked next it. His systems were stolen several times and nobody seemed to pay attention to the alarms.
It works when I wake up with a shotgun pointed at them =D
But my neighbors do. Police officer lives next door to me so if he hears anything, he'll be right outside.

I am installing a few infrared security camera outside our house because we have had brake in attempts as well

But I still want a security system on my vehicle.
Unread 10-29-2013, 11:30 AM   #5
irishluck
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkyrie0002 View Post
I have some old car alarms that we modified to work on motorcycles. These had an optional proximity sensor with adjustable sensitivity. I installed a sensor in the cap of my truck by the cab. It would go off if anyone got within inches of the truck.
See I was more thinking of some type of infrared laser system.

Where if anyone even reaches inside of the door when the top and doors are off, it would go off. And I wouldn't be using a little quit horn either. It would be a very loud one that would wake up everyone.
Unread 10-29-2013, 11:43 AM   #6
HappyTrails
Registered Voter w/ID

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishluck View Post
See I was more thinking of some type of infrared laser system.

Where if anyone even reaches inside of the door when the top and doors are off, it would go off. And I wouldn't be using a little quit horn either. It would be a very loud one that would wake up everyone.
In order to get people's attention, hook up your alarm system to an under hood TRAIN horn and a smoke grenade. HeHeHe....
Re-inventing the circle and straight line.
HappyTrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2013, 11:55 AM   #7
spinlock

When I have my soft top on, I follow the same procedure as when I am rolling topless. I don't leave anything in my Jeep and I make it obvious there is nothing there. I even took the glove and console doors off on my old TJ because of the places I had to park it.
spinlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2013, 11:59 AM   #8
Psycho-X-Jeep
Free hugs <<< just ask!

2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTrails View Post
In order to get people's attention, hook up your alarm system to an under hood TRAIN horn and a smoke grenade. HeHeHe....
Not sure about the smoke grenade , but the Train horn idea definitely works. I have train horns hooked up to the normal horn in the xterra. That way if the alarm goes off, so does it. And boy is it friggin loud!

Psycho-X-Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2013, 12:14 PM   #9
Breitling
2013 JK Wrangler 

Park in better area or garage which is sometimes not very possible. I am using surveillance internet cameras around my home including parking spot recording 24/7 to my computer and stream video to the dropbox same time. Also I placed large stickers on my first floor windows about, it might help.
Unread 10-29-2013, 01:03 PM   #10
HOKIES2010
Web Wheeler

2011 JK Wrangler 

Same thing about rolling topless even with a soft top. I actually do not even put in my rear windows or lock my doors. Nothing in my Jeep to steal. If someone cuts my top they are either really dumb for not checking the handle, mad because there wasn't anything in it or just being a dick.
Unread 10-29-2013, 01:06 PM   #11
HOKIES2010
Web Wheeler

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Woke up this morning to go to work and I opened my door to find my seat and steering wheel covered in water (rain). My windows were up so I looked up and had a 12" cut above the driver seat from some stupid punks. My doors were unlocked and nothing was taken. Damn Halloween pranks that's going to cost me a lot.

My reason for this post is what do you all do for security systems?

Ive heard something called a proximity security system for jeeps that use like infrared lasers or something for when you have the top of doors off.

Anyone ever heard of this or used this? Maybe you have found something that works?
And if this was on your property you can use or home owners or renters insurance to get a new top. I made a renters insurance claim when by buddy's truck got dented in my driveway and it did not raise a penny. Check with your ins.
Unread 10-29-2013, 02:13 PM   #12
irishluck
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTrails View Post
Lol that's exactly what I was thinking! Using a train horn! The vandals would probably S*** there selves ha
Unread 10-29-2013, 02:16 PM   #13
irishluck
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinlock View Post
When I have my soft top on, I follow the same procedure as when I am rolling topless. I don't leave anything in my Jeep and I make it obvious there is nothing there. I even took the glove and console doors off on my old TJ because of the places I had to park it.
See thats just it, My doors were unlocked, nothing in it to steal or anything! Just a few tie down straps and they were still there. Just a couple of punks thinking its funny to cut tops.
Unread 10-29-2013, 03:22 PM   #14
Psycho-X-Jeep
Free hugs <<< just ask!

2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
See thats just it, My doors were unlocked, nothing in it to steal or anything! Just a few tie down straps and they were still there. Just a couple of punks thinking its funny to cut tops.
This really gets under my skin. I hate it when punk kids (or "adults") go around doing stuff like this. Just as shi++y as keying someones car. Scum of the earth! I will put a dollar in your "help me buy a new soft top" jar if you cant get insurance to cover it.

If it makes you feel any better, I once found a USED tampon smashed onto my windshield... Can you imagine what someone had to go through to get it there? Not to mention how mad she had to be at me to do it!
Psycho-X-Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2013, 03:30 PM   #15
brianjw
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishluck

And an alarm is going to stop a mindless vandal who just wants to be a dick and trash something?

They probably won't know there is an alarm until the knife cuts through anyway.
Save the money and build a garage! Lol
brianjw is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.