Soft top side window flapping DIY fix - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Soft top side window flapping DIY fix

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 06-17-2013, 03:16 PM   #1
Cropduster23
2012 JK Wrangler 

Soft top side window flapping DIY fix

The side windows on my soft top stay tucked into the door surrounds great as long as I drive under 60mph. Once I get above 60mph, no matter how I tuck them in they always end up flopping in the wind. I went to the local Hobby Lobby and bought two strips of Velcro. I attached the softer side of the Velcro to the plastic door surround that stays on even with the top down and attached the other stiffer side of the Velcro to the soft top windows themselves. The windows are now secure at any and every speed. The Velcro cost me $4.99 and it took about 5 mins to complete the entire job. I attached the Velcro to the door surround and side window with 3M brand double sided molding tape. When the top is down, the soft part of the Velcro does not interfere with the door at all. Very simple and effective fix to a very annoying problem. Tried to get picsc but the Velcro doesn't really show up, it is camouflaged that well.

Cropduster23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2013, 03:20 PM   #2
ncb

You must not be installing the windows correctly. You shouldn't need any Velcro.
ncb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2013, 03:25 PM   #3
Cropduster23
2012 JK Wrangler 

They are installed as properly as I know how to install them. I followed the YouTube tutorials for instruction on how to install. The top was originally on a different Jeep and the windows have fit terribly since day 1. Ive tried putting them on in several different ways and they never stay tucked in if I get up to highway speeds. No issues at all when I am under 60 mph.
Unread 06-17-2013, 03:26 PM   #4
GauchoMark
2011 JK Wrangler 

are you inserting the plastic elbow into the groove on the door surround at the door jamb and then zipping? The leading edge of the plastic elbow should be facing the rear of the jeep when installed correctly.
GauchoMark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2013, 03:35 PM   #5
Cropduster23
2012 JK Wrangler 

I have never been able to get the elbows to fully seat in and face the rear. Just went out and looked and noticed that my door surrounds had silicone in that groove up near the top of the surround. I'm guessing the previous owner of the top had some type of leak and for some unknown reason, put silicone in the groove. I removed the silicone and will see how the windows fit the next time I have the top up. I'm guessing that silicone was causing all of my troubles.
Unread 06-17-2013, 03:41 PM   #6
Mol
Disclaimer: I'm Polish

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncb View Post
You must not be installing the windows correctly. You shouldn't need any Velcro.
this

edit -just read your last post...weird. Hopefully you're now good to go.
Mol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2013, 03:41 PM   #7
GauchoMark
2011 JK Wrangler 

that should do it.

Here is how I do the sides:
1) start the zipper for maybe 3-4 inches.
2) insert that elbow into the groove.
3) zip the rest of the way.
4) make sure it is pulled tight towards the back of the jeep. (the corners can slide a little, so I give them a good yank once it is zipped to make sure it didn't cheat forward)
5) re-check the elbow is seated good.
6) fold the bottom flap under the body lip.

I made the same mistake the first time I did the windows on mine.
GauchoMark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2013, 10:43 AM   #8
NJeepChicJK
2011 JK Wrangler 

Proper way to install windows
001.jpg   002.jpg   003.jpg   004.jpg  
NJeepChicJK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2013, 11:24 PM   #9
COLOUXJ
Web Wheeler
2010 JK Wrangler 

Yea I would say your top is screwed up somehow. I have had the doors off and only the side windows in and they have stayed in place.
Mechanical Engineers Build weapons Civil Engineers build targets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberpyrot View Post
is it a plink plink kerrrrdunk? or more of a brrrrrconk doc doc miiiidge pang!!!? or is it a badonk ka donk? if it is the latter its just the normal fat *** of the JK

COLOUXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2013, 06:38 AM   #10
5foot19
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncb View Post
^
5foot19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.