JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   JK Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/)
-   -   Soft top rear window help!! (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/soft-top-rear-window-help-1516696/)

lvd76 04-30-2013 07:52 AM

Soft top rear window help!!

I need some assistance from my fellow Jeepers... I got the dual top combo with my 2013 Sahara and finally switched from Hard to Soft Top this last weekend for the summer. The top was a PITA the first time, but I expected that since its been factory packaged since November when I bought her. Anyway it loosened up a bit and I can put up and down fairly easy now by myself, but the back window does not sit right in the channel. It comes with 2 clip on rear window holders that snap on the body on either side of the door. I do have it installed the right way, I even tested the clips off the Jeep, but when they are clipped on the Jeep, it seems my back window is too short to clip in correctly. It is so tight that when i do get it started in the channel of the clips, it pulls out and if i try to force it, it seems to bend up the lip of the body since it has so much tension! Any advice or help is appreciated, I'm scratching my head on this one...:confused:

HOKIES2010 04-30-2013 08:00 AM

Any photos?

lvd76 04-30-2013 08:11 AM

I will upload pics tonight, thanks.

lvd76 04-30-2013 09:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a pic from the inside. The bar doesn't stay flush in the channel and it actually bent up the outer lip. I'm not ire if you can see but the whole clip piece is tinted back into the jeep, although it does seem to be loosening up a bit. I can't imagine this is normal and it is so right it bends the metal lip up.

HOKIES2010 05-01-2013 02:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Those clips go on the outside of the Jeep

lvd76 05-01-2013 04:08 AM

That's how it is. That pic I from inside. I'm saying the outside clip has so much tension on the lip it actually bent the outside lip up.

Jerseymark 05-01-2013 04:34 AM

Something is wrong with the window, it should not be nearly that tight. I would go back to the dealership

LIJeepJC 05-01-2013 05:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerseymark
Something is wrong with the window, it should not be nearly that tight. I would go back to the dealership

This it the same problem my bro inlaw is having with his 13' JK. We installed the soft top a few wks ago and it was super tight. Had both of us pulling down on the bows to get the rear window bar to roll into the two holders. The right side seems tighter than the left and the weatherstripping does not seat itself under the tailgate as it sticks up above it. We chalked it up to being cool out and that it needs a good warm sunny day to loosen up. Like a new pair of shoes.... Good luck!

socal_rubi 05-01-2013 09:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by lvd76 (Post 15371942)
Here is a pic from the inside. The bar doesn't stay flush in the channel and it actually bent up the outer lip. I'm not ire if you can see but the whole clip piece is tinted back into the jeep, although it does seem to be loosening up a bit. I can't imagine this is normal and it is so right it bends the metal lip up.

I think you have the tailgate bar on upside down.

lvd76 05-01-2013 12:50 PM

2 Attachment(s)
You are pointing to the seam on my top not the weather stripping. Here is a better look currently. And here is a better look at the clip. I'm fairly certain the install is correct.

HOKIES2010 05-01-2013 02:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Dunno here is mine

lvd76 05-02-2013 02:21 PM

I appreciate all the help. It was pretty warm the last couple days and it seems to be stretching apparently because it fits much better. It's unreal that it was so tight the first time that it bent the outside lip up, but I guess that was it.

SkipperTW 05-02-2013 08:28 PM

I think I see the problem - those clip are on the in the right direction, but it looks as though you don't have it snapped into the body. They must snap into the metal frame underneathh (start by clipping them in the back of the body on the inside and push (sometimes real hard) until it clips under the edge rail. It will Snap into place.

I have had 3 JK's now with dual top and a couple of my clips were slightly defective. Just take em to your dealer and they will order you new one(s) if they don't fit right. if you don't have them snapped into place, they will fall back into the jeep and the window will be loose. It's a good design, and once you figure it out, it will be great... The new premium tops (which I assume you have) it way easier to use and much better than the original. I love this top.

I tried to find a video on the clips but no joy, I will post one if you need more help.

SkipperTW 05-02-2013 08:30 PM

BTW, it starts out very tight (I always hate breaking in the new top) but a few days in the sun and elements will stretch it out and it should fit like a glove. putting it up and down will be a breeze. I can put my whole top up in 3 mins alone now. 1st time, 1 hour with two people.

The time now is 02:11 PM.