Soft top question regarding straps coming off the soft top bars. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Soft top question regarding straps coming off the soft top bars.

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 06-26-2009, 10:20 AM   #1
newjeepowner05

Soft top question regarding straps coming off the soft top bars.

I'm not really sure how to explain this but the straps that connect to the soft top bars in the front and back are coming off. I believe they are there to keep the soft top taught. They are connected by two silver rivets. Are there any tips to fix that and do I really need to re-connect them? The top seems fine without them.

Thanks for any help!

Unread 06-26-2009, 10:24 AM   #2
Vertisce
2007 JK Wrangler 

Mine on the right side snapped off completely last week. Now the soft top is loose as heck and makes a lot of noise. It also prevents the back bar from flexing down too far and if I hit a hard enough bump on the road the whole rear panel on that side will pop out of place and flap in the wind. Now I am being told by the dealer that any replacements of the soft top have to go to corporate for approval. All I know is it is under warranty...they better honor it.
Vertisce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2009, 10:26 AM   #3
newjeepowner05

Thanks for the info. I'm going to take mine to the dealer next week and see what they say. Good luck with yours....
Unread 06-26-2009, 10:35 AM   #4
DeepSky
2007 JK Wrangler 

This happened to me at the B pillar, passenger side. The strap just completely fell off the bar, rivets slipped right through the strap.

I guess they aren't entirely necessary, but if you put the top down and up a lot the straps can get all twisted and get caught on stuff. If you want to avoid the headache with the dealer, and fix it for good you can try what I did:
  1. Take a dremel w/ cut off wheel and cut the head of the rivet off and let the shaft slip out of the bar.
  2. Drill out the hole that the rivet was through and find a small bolt and push it up through the bar & the strap.
  3. get a 1/2" or so sized washer to place on the bolt between the strap and bar.
  4. Secure with nut

I did this probably almost a year ago, and its held up ever since AND since the top of the bar is always covered (even when the top is folded down) you can't tell it's not those factory "rivets" holding it on.
DeepSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2009, 11:08 AM   #5
Vertisce
2007 JK Wrangler 

Ill do that...when it's out of warranty.
Vertisce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2009, 12:04 PM   #6
fuzzyz11
2007 JK Wrangler 

Yep, I've had both check straps snap off of the rivets, only 1 month after installing the soft top. I still need to do the above fix, but in the mean time I haven't noticed any more noise or flapping. I posted on this a few weeks ago and had no responses, but I'm glad I'm not the only one. The soft top didn't come with my JK and I'm out of warranty so i'm on my own here.
fuzzyz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2009, 12:20 PM   #7
SoCalJK
2007 JK Wrangler 

One of mine came off when it was still pretty new. I just put washers on and then new rivets. No problem since.
Unread 06-26-2009, 02:46 PM   #8
rjt36
2009 JK Wrangler 

Just drill the rivet out and put a screw in. I had the same problem with my TJ, so I had it warrantied before the warranty ran out and they didn't even replace the rivet. They screwed it in. I like having the screws better anyway. If the check strap rips, you can easily replace it when there's screws.
rjt36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2013, 07:00 PM   #9
2ndchance
2009 JK Wrangler 

I know this is an old thread but I'm trying to find detailed info on these straps. I have a 2009 JK 4-door and I need to replace both of the straps. I purchased two 6-ft straps and they are 3" wide.

I'm planning on replacing them next weekend but I want to be sure I put them on at the correct length. I was told it was 5-ft end-to-end, but that does not take into account the fold.

Don't suppose anyone have measurements of where the rivets actually go on the straps. How far apart they are. Anything would be helpful.
Unread 12-30-2013, 01:36 PM   #10
kevlegs
2007 JK Wrangler 

Ok, so I too have replaced the Soft top on my JK.
It doesn't seem to have the best fit at the back. Sides are fine.

I have one strap attached to the soft top frame (it was just hanging loose when I bought the Jeep), the other side is missing. Where is this strap supposed to attach?
Is the soft top frame adjustable? It seems as though it should be a bit higher at the rear to fit into the soft top corners a bit better.

Many thanks
kevlegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2013, 03:00 PM   #11
Jiblet
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevlegs
Ok, so I too have replaced the Soft top on my JK. It doesn't seem to have the best fit at the back. Sides are fine. I have one strap attached to the soft top frame (it was just hanging loose when I bought the Jeep), the other side is missing. Where is this strap supposed to attach? Is the soft top frame adjustable? It seems as though it should be a bit higher at the rear to fit into the soft top corners a bit better. Many thanks
I think you mean the stay pad straps. Should have two. They keep the rear of the top from sagging.
They usually rip out of the rivets on the rear bow.

If you unzip the rear window, the rear bow should have some holes where the straps had attached.

If you fold up the sail panels (back corners of top) to expose the rear bow, you should see what I mean.
Jiblet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2013, 03:40 PM   #12
kevlegs
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiblet View Post
I think you mean the stay pad straps. Should have two. They keep the rear of the top from sagging.
They usually rip out of the rivets on the rear bow.

If you unzip the rear window, the rear bow should have some holes where the straps had attached.

If you fold up the sail panels (back corners of top) to expose the rear bow, you should see what I mean.
Yeah they are the ones. As I said, I still have one connected to the rear bow but where should the other end attach?
kevlegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2013, 06:49 PM   #13
Jiblet
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevlegs View Post
Yeah they are the ones. As I said, I still have one connected to the rear bow but where should the other end attach?
Sorry, I have my hard top on for winter!

Usually they rip from the rear.
If one is still attached, just bring it straight forward, maybe you can see where it pulled off from.

Found this.
Looks like it attaches at the middle bow:

http://www.quadratec.com/products/11000_0935K_07.htm
Jiblet is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.