Soft-top question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Soft-top question

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 05-27-2013, 03:31 PM   #1
BadBarret
2007 JK Wrangler 

Soft-top question

Is there suppose to be straps on the rear of the factory frame? It seems like mine is missing something because the rear is saggy. Or any suggestions to tighten it up.

BadBarret is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2013, 03:48 PM   #2
TheBoss
2012 JK Wrangler 

If you mean in the upper rear above the window ,those are to hold the window when it is rolled up.

The top should end up tight with the rears tucked under the body lip and the header clipped to the windshield. Is this a new factory top?

[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/built-not-bought/"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #690[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson[/COLOR][SIZE="2"][/SIZE]
TheBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2013, 03:59 PM   #3
BadBarret
2007 JK Wrangler 

Sorry the the vagueness of my question :P I'm referring to the center cross bar and the rear bar right above the rear window. There are rivets on both as if something use to connect the two. It's the factory frame and a Quadratec replace a top.
Unread 05-27-2013, 04:34 PM   #4
TheBoss
2012 JK Wrangler 

On a factory top there is a strap between the bows riveted to the frame.

[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/built-not-bought/"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #690[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson[/COLOR][SIZE="2"][/SIZE]
TheBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2013, 04:44 PM   #5
BadBarret
2007 JK Wrangler 

Hmm bought this jeep used. Wonder why they would have removed them...
Unread 05-27-2013, 05:15 PM   #6
Jiblet
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoss View Post
On a factory top there is a strap between the bows riveted to the frame.
for some strange reason they are called "staypad straps".

there are service kits available. but when one of mine pulled from the rivets, I just used some appropriate screws.
Jiblet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2013, 05:21 PM   #7
Jiblet
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBarret View Post
Hmm bought this jeep used. Wonder why they would have removed them...
they tend to get ripped out at the rivets if the top is put up carelessly.

I've snagged my own before and have seen it happen when the front bow is yanked forward to pull the whole top up.

I try to lift the whole top up from the rear to the middle then let the rear portion drop back down while pushing the front the rest of the way. Easiest to by stepping up on the bumper.
Unread 05-27-2013, 05:31 PM   #8
BadBarret
2007 JK Wrangler 

So do you guys think this could be the cause of my saggy rear end :giggles: the rear corners fit loosely into the body lips and have come out when the front windows have been down and rear rolled up...
Unread 05-27-2013, 06:37 PM   #9
Jiblet
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
So do you guys think this could be the cause of my saggy rear end :giggles: the rear corners fit loosely into the body lips and have come out when the front windows have been down and rear rolled up...
Yes, without the staypad straps the rear bow will sag and the sail panels will come out from the corners.

A quick search looks like the straps cost around $40-50 per strap.

Part#: 68003640AB
Unread 05-27-2013, 09:10 PM   #10
BadBarret
2007 JK Wrangler 

Awesome, thanks for the help! But, I'm pretty sure I can make some straps for a long cheaper haha
Unread 05-28-2013, 08:22 AM   #11
Jiblet
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Awesome, thanks for the help! But, I'm pretty sure I can make some straps for a long cheaper haha
no doubt!

check out:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/re...bbing-1240039/

(that's a TJ, but you get the idea....)

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.