Soft top during winter - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Soft top during winter

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 06-12-2008, 04:43 PM   #1
RedRock84
2008 JK Wrangler 

Soft top during winter

So im just wondering if any1 has left there soft top on for an entire winter and in some place that gets a decent amount of snow and cold temperatures. Has it wrecked it at all any info would be great.

RedRock84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2008, 04:47 PM   #2
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Cold and snowy here in Alaska. I would never consider leaving the soft top on for the winter.

I will not claim the hard top is any warmer, quieter, or resistant to damage.

However, trying to make it through the winter without a rear defroster and wiper would just suck!!! So much dirt accumulates on the back window so fast - I clean it off with glass cleaner and a squeegee every day, just so I can see. I think having a soft window back there would be an absolute nightmare. No thanks. Not under any circumstances.

On a side note - in the winter, I leave winter gear in my car (warm coat, gloves, socks, boots, etc.). I would be concerned about having it ripped off if I were using the soft top. The hard top in the winter gives some extra security for this stuff.

Last edited by waterboarder; 06-12-2008 at 07:34 PM..
waterboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2008, 04:48 PM   #3
wTheOnew
2008 JK Wrangler 

I've had a soft top through 5 winters in northern Ohio to no ill effects. It gets a little chilly but so does everything when it's 0 degrees outside.
wTheOnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2008, 07:29 PM   #4
ZX14Rider
2008 JK Wrangler 

My hard top is going back on for winter, I agree with everything TexasDog said, very good points....we tend to get just a little bit of winter here in upstate NY and I would rather not mess with a soft top.....
ZX14Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2008, 07:36 PM   #5
marko686
1998 TJ Wrangler 

i am in mid-Michigan and have had a soft top on for a few years now and leave it on in the winter. The only negative thing ive encountered is how cold it is when i first get in it in the morning. Last winter i went about a month with the soft top and NO heat. haha im still alive and the top is still in great shape.
marko686 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2008, 08:03 PM   #6
Key
2008 JK Wrangler 

Our winters are down right COLD!!!
Ok, we might get below freezing 15 days of the year. I still put the hard top on. Why... because I have it, thats why! You feel like using the soft top, then put it on. If you want to change to the hard top, then throw it on. Thats part of owning a jeep, you can change it up without too much effort. Hey, if you feel froggy, go topless!!! To hot here for that, at least if you drive it to work and where dress shirts everyday.
Key is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2008, 08:41 PM   #7
sethco
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key View Post
Our winters are down right COLD!!!
Ok, we might get below freezing 15 days of the year. I still put the hard top on. Why... because I have it, thats why! You feel like using the soft top, then put it on. If you want to change to the hard top, then throw it on. Thats part of owning a jeep, you can change it up without too much effort. Hey, if you feel froggy, go topless!!! To hot here for that, at least if you drive it to work and where dress shirts everyday.
What are you talking about below freezing 15 days of the year? maybe 15 HOURS!!! I put the hard top back on for the summer and plan on putting the soft top on durring the winter. It was a chilly 70 deg on Christmas morning. but when the temp is over 100 deg and about 85% humidity and the heat index is around 125 deg, the hard top holds in the ac better than the soft.

http://zoneoffroad.com/bad-to-the-bone?feat=34
sethco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2008, 09:12 PM   #8
MiamiPaco
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdog View Post

On a side note - in the winter, I leave winter gear in my car (warm coat, gloves, socks, boots, etc.). I would be concerned about having it ripped off if I were using the soft top. The hard top in the winter gives some extra security for this stuff.
...CAR?!?!?, CAR?!?!?! TDog, is that what u call your Jeep?!?! U have been in the eternal night land too long.... come to the right corner, S FL and warm your things off. CAR?!?!?! the sheer shame of those words....
Unread 06-12-2008, 09:38 PM   #9
BrettDez
2012 JK Wrangler 

No issues with having the softop on during the winter here. None, didn't regret it once. If I had a hard top, I would've put it on, but having just a soft top I had no problems.
"The Smurf": --Pic 1-- --Pic 2-- --Pic 3-- --Pic 4--
Previous Jeeps: --2007 Jeep Wrangler JK Rubicon-- --2003 Jeep Wrangler TJ Rubicon-- --1987 Jeep Wrangler YJ--
BrettDez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2008, 11:17 PM   #10
Broken_Soldier
2008 JK Wrangler 

Had mine up all winter long. That includes the big ice storm we had early this year with no problems. Personally I found it easier to get the crud off of the plastic than waiting for glass to heat up.
Unread 06-13-2008, 08:15 AM   #11
carracer
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I only have the soft top. My wife drives it all the time and never complains about temp even when outside is single digits. She does park in the garage overnight though.
Unread 06-13-2008, 08:20 AM   #12
OrangeSands
2006 TJ Wrangler 

The Australian winters aren't that bad, and this will be our first winter back in the States.

However with only a soft top, I'm sure we'll be fine. We don't get THAT much snow here in the Ozarks.

The 2 door wrangler is pretty small inside so doesn't take long to heat up.

Kind Regards,

www.MyFamilyJeep.com

Red Jeep Club #467
OrangeSands is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2008, 12:17 PM   #13
RedRock84
2008 JK Wrangler 

Well our winters the temp, at least for a few couple week terms here gets to minus 35 or colder and we get alot of snow. And ive been puttin off taking the hard top off because im in need of a lung transplant and everything is much harder to do when i cant breath so i figured instead of changing it all the time id just leave it on. But thats one reason i bought a jeep to have the top off so instead i ordered that hard top lift from quadratech to make things much simpler so well see how that works. thatnks for the input guys
RedRock84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2008, 01:45 PM   #14
Kastiron
2008 JK Wrangler 

Bought my JK on January 18, 08.

Test drive dash reading temp was 1 degree.

Took coat off inside within 10 minutes of the test drive. No worries, the soft top worked fine. It is my only top.
Unread 06-13-2008, 03:24 PM   #15
specs
2007 JK Wrangler 

Live in upstate NY, we get lots of snow and it will drop below 0 several days a year. Had the soft top on all winter and the only thing is this spring had to use the trusty MOPAR zipper lube. (I can just hear the cracks now) Otherwise, no problems and the heater works great. Am in my middle 50s, so cold kind of gets to me. Just my 3cents, 2 cents will no longer work due to inflation.
specs is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.