soft top confusion - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > soft top confusion

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valuePremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGRugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped O

Unread 08-06-2014, 08:29 AM   #1
yycwrangler

soft top confusion

So in the newer JKU's (say 2012-2104), is there still a vinyl and a premium soft top available or did, in the last couple of years, they switch all soft tops to a premium fabric.

I've looked in kijiji and when contacted, most folks say their soft top (even 2013-2014's) are grey on the inside, not the black diamond which I have come to know as the premium soft top. Most are also not even aware that their are two types of soft tops available

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Cheers
Al

yycwrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2014, 10:05 AM   #2
bogleparsons
2013 JK Wrangler 

Mine said " premium sun rider soft top"

but is grey on the inside.. so I also don't know..
Unread 08-07-2014, 10:46 AM   #3
DBA2GO
2008 JK Wrangler 

The new one I just bought is a Bestbuy Twill Supertop NX and is 3 layers. Black twill on the outside, a layer of rubber (for insulation) and a layer inside of black cloth/till.

Unread 08-07-2014, 12:45 PM   #4
jeepwrnglr92
2013 JK Wrangler 

My 2013 came with a black vinyl top. Loud. I was wondering if the premium top was quieter and flapped less?
Unread 08-07-2014, 01:42 PM   #5
DBA2GO
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepwrnglr92 View Post
My 2013 came with a black vinyl top. Loud. I was wondering if the premium top was quieter and flapped less?
I had one of those vinyl tops too & didn't like it either. Now, when you say premium top, I don't think the "Premium Black Sunrider" top that is an option on new Jeeps is what I'm talking about. I think those are single layer tops also; but, I'm betting they are better than the vinyl.

The one I bought & really like is by Bestop. Here is that link:
http://www.bestop.com/component/prod...product&id=138

The Black Twill Supertop NX top that I have is much quieter than the vinyl. I can hear more than inside with the hardtop on.

It is much cooler inside my Jeep too. I was driving on the freeway & as I was passing a truck, there was some flapping. But, it does have some removable flapper stoppers (bows). I was driving without the removable bows.

Hope that helps.
Unread 08-07-2014, 02:43 PM   #6
jeepwrnglr92
2013 JK Wrangler 

Yes I was referring to the factory sun rider top option. I thought the cloth would be quieter than the vinyl top. Much harder material.
Unread 08-07-2014, 03:10 PM   #7
DBA2GO
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepwrnglr92 View Post
Yes I was referring to the factory sun rider top option. I thought the cloth would be quieter than the vinyl top. Much harder material.
But, IMHO that premium factory top is only 1 layer thick. So, not all that much more quiet than vinyl...
Unread 08-07-2014, 03:36 PM   #8
cakeeater
2014 JK Wrangler 

If the top is grey on the inside and you paid for the "Premium Sunrider*" top, then the dealer screwed you. The premium soft top on newer JK's should be twill fabric (similar to that on many convertibles) with the black rubber layer on the inside (as shown above on the Besttop). I paid for the premium soft top on my '14 JK and absolutely love it compared to the older canvas material. Hardly any flapping or noise heard from it in the 7 months I've had the Jeep.

Friend paid for the same premium top on the sticker, but the actual Jeep had the old canvas material that was grey on the inside. I told her to take it in and have them swap tops or give back $ since they probably expected nobody to realize there was a difference. They did

Previously: 2000 TJ
cakeeater is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.