soft top in carwash - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > soft top in carwash

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 11-09-2007, 07:25 AM   #16
victoriajk
2007 JK Wrangler 

I took it through a touchless and wouldnt do it again. The force of the water was so strong (and loud) I think it beats and stretches the fabric, which will just lead to more wind noise on road.

The touchless with the hard top was fine to get the road salt off when it's too bitter out to wash by hand.

Last edited by victoriajk; 11-09-2007 at 09:01 AM..
victoriajk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2007, 08:58 AM   #17
mgibson61611
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrit
I had a couple of drips when I went through the touchless automatic, but nothing that wouldn't keep from doing it again.
Me too, I do it once a week... likely isn't too good on the plastic windows... I don't get any of the 'wax options'.
mgibson61611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2007, 09:18 AM   #18
JaKe08
2008 JK Wrangler 

I took my TJ through a full service wash (Brushless) biweekly for 11 years. The top material held up fine and the windows faired quite well.

I live in a condominium and don't have many options. I wouldn't worry unless it is a brush type wash.
JaKe08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2007, 09:24 AM   #19
ez__rider

most of the touchless I've seen are pretty low pressure, misty type.
I guess I should fine some and take the truck through before I turn it in. Otherwise I'd have to test drive it on the motorcycle, but I don't have rain gear, so...?!
also: '03 WR450f, '03 919, '91 GLi, '76 Hobie 16

You can break the rules, but honor the [URL="http://www.jeepinwave.com/waverules.shtml"]tradition[/URL]!
ez__rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2007, 09:32 AM   #20
victoriajk
2007 JK Wrangler 

I guess it depends how picky/OC you are.
The only scratches and swirls I want to inflict are from going off road.
I try to keep my JK paint showroom new otherwise and I dont wash it, I detail it.
I guess a true jeeper wouldnt care and would just let the rain wash it. I havent come around yet.
Unread 10-31-2013, 07:29 AM   #21
HDJEEP33
2008 JK Wrangler 

So consensus is touchless is ok for softtop?
I am thinking about running mine through before I put the hardtop on and store the softtop for the winter.
Unread 10-31-2013, 08:40 AM   #22
PaXJ
2007 JK Wrangler 

The wife likes her JKU clean, so I take it thorough the local Hydraspray (touchless and very high pressure), The soft top was never an issue, however every time I go through seeing the hood pressed down about an inch or so gives me the pucker factor.
PaXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2013, 06:51 PM   #23
715racing
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Bingo on the hood! I have been through the touchless wash several times with my soft top, mainly for the undercarriage wash. No problems at all, until I go through the dryer blast. Makes me cringe to see the hood rippling up and down from the air pressure. The 10th anniversary hood seems much stiffer, so once I have that on, I'll give a report.

Back on topic...zero problems for the soft top with a high pressure touchless wash. At least in my experience.
Unread 10-31-2013, 08:15 PM   #24
ancientspear
2013 JK Wrangler 

If you have to, I wouldn't recommend putting the soft-top through a touch less wash with wax. It's probably the exact reason why people complain about never being able to get their old style vinyl soft-tops clean. The dirt is literally baked into the texture of the vinyl under several layers of wax. With my newer style canvas soft top, I avoid getting quality soap on it at home and find just pressure washing it off with water gets mud and fine clay dust off really well. I would never let the super degreaser style detergents at car washes anywhere near my soft-top.
ancientspear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2013, 07:21 AM   #25
PaXJ
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancientspear View Post
If you have to, I wouldn't recommend putting the soft-top through a touch less wash with wax. It's probably the exact reason why people complain about never being able to get their old style vinyl soft-tops clean. The dirt is literally baked into the texture of the vinyl under several layers of wax. With my newer style canvas soft top, I avoid getting quality soap on it at home and find just pressure washing it off with water gets mud and fine clay dust off really well. I would never let the super degreaser style detergents at car washes anywhere near my soft-top.
Got to disagree here. The wifes JKU is 7 years old and only has the soft top. Been doing the Hydraspray touchless for about 4-5 times a year since we got it, and the soft top is still in great condition, as well as the windows.
Of course after the wash and dry I used 303 on the top and Mopar cleaner on the windows.
Oh by the way I never request the wax. Just the heavy duty wash, spot free rinse and dry
PaXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2013, 05:49 PM   #26
ancientspear
2013 JK Wrangler 

Different dirt I guess. We are bombarded with salt 6 months of the year and then we deal with clay dust in all our mud and sand when the salt is gone. Lucky you
ancientspear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2013, 07:47 PM   #27
Neo1130
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ez__rider View Post
so are there reasonable small electric water heaters a guy can buy to put on the end of a hose and wash by hand in the winter. I'd much rather do that than go to the manual sprayer!

I've been thinking I need to find a touchless automatic around here though too...
I got lucky and my hot water heater is in the garage. Just run a hose from there to wash my vehicles with...
Neo1130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2013, 07:02 AM   #28
capncraigagain
2005 TJ Wrangler 

My wife took my TJ through a car wash while I was away on business. When I came home a day early, I thought that I finally caught her with another man.
capncraigagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2013, 08:48 AM   #29
t8tjt
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Car wash yes, car wash with the brushes, NO! May be ok a few times but eventually its gonna bite you!
t8tjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2013, 09:47 AM   #30
KME
1999 FSJ Cherokee 

Soft Tops

I have a '99 Cherokee now, but I used to have a '87 Suzuki Samuraii (miss it) a long time ago with a soft top, and I used to take it through the car wash, there were small leaks sometimes around the zippers or the snaps, if the water spray hit it just right but I didn't care. They probably advise you not to do it, because anything and everything scratches the windows, and they get cloudy eventually. The soap in the car wash clouds up the windows too. As hard as you try, you can't do anything about it. They sell a cleaner for the vinyl windows, I just used glass cleaner after a while, or a chamois, but the tiniest amount of dust or grit will always scratch the windows.

I used to buy replacement canvas or vinyl tops on the aftermarket when the windows would be too far gone every couple of years. To get the snow and ice off without using a brush or ice scraper, and scratching up the windows, I'd just bounce the top a little until it fell off. One night during an ice storm, I was trying to use this same technique, hoping the ice would fall off in a sheet like it usually did, and it was so cold, and the vinyl windows were so frozen, I punched a hole in the window with not too much force. I probably replaced 5 soft tops in 20 years.

I would just look at it as enjoy your jeep, and do what you do, and just plan on replacing the top once in a while.
KME is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.