soft top in carwash - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > soft top in carwash

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 11-07-2007, 11:18 AM   #1
tlpvt

soft top in carwash

has anybody taken a soft top JK through a carwash?

tlpvt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2007, 11:22 AM   #2
carracer
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Yes, no leaks. Didn't seem to hurt anything, however, the manual says not to do it so we don't anymore.
carracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2007, 11:22 AM   #3
gravely_todd
2008 JK Wrangler 

My understanding is that you should not take your JK through a carwash with a softtop.....I wouldn't take my hard top though either, but that's me....

Todd
and YES I like the silver bumper inserts !!!
gravely_todd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2007, 11:39 AM   #4
TurtleMacLeod
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Why would you wash a Jeep?

RED JEEP CLUB #602
TurtleMacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2007, 12:00 PM   #5
Sammer

I haven't taken my JK through yet but I used to take my YJ soft top through one. It was one of the "touchless" car washes. Went through without any problems.
Unread 11-07-2007, 12:04 PM   #6
TXRescue
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleMacLeod
Why would you wash a Jeep?
I was waiting for someone to say something like this.
TXRescue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2007, 01:31 PM   #7
jbrit
2008 JK Wrangler 

I had a couple of drips when I went through the touchless automatic, but nothing that wouldn't keep from doing it again.
jbrit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2007, 02:24 PM   #8
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

I took my hard top through. I found that the car wash, even the most expensive one, failed to clean certain parts of the Jeep. I'm not sure they even got wet! The mirrors were one place - seems like there were some places around the fenders too. Anyway - completely unhappy with the wash job.

I prefer to wash it by hand anyway. Gives me an opportunity to look it over, spot any problems, and so forth.
waterboarder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2007, 03:55 PM   #9
mca1977jpsnet

I took My YJ through Touchless and Brush style Carwashes B4. Less water inside and more clean with Brushed style carwashes. However Brushes may scratch soft glass. Iwas fortunate I guess. I only wash my JEEPs and Vehicles by hand since My old truck's paint and parents Parents Van paint jobs were F'd up from taking them through a car wash to often. The Carwash Chemicals seem to harsh and don't clean as well as the good 'Ol Sponge and Hand brush method.

I do like some of the Carwashes that have under carriage Cleaners! HEE HEE!
mca1977jpsnet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2007, 04:48 PM   #10
ez__rider

so are there reasonable small electric water heaters a guy can buy to put on the end of a hose and wash by hand in the winter. I'd much rather do that than go to the manual sprayer!

I've been thinking I need to find a touchless automatic around here though too...
also: '03 WR450f, '03 919, '91 GLi, '76 Hobie 16

You can break the rules, but honor the [URL="http://www.jeepinwave.com/waverules.shtml"]tradition[/URL]!
ez__rider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2007, 06:48 PM   #11
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

I bought a gas-powered pressure washer to clean it with. It does a decent job, but it's not perfect. It's great for the softtop windows. Still need to go over the rest of the Jeep with a brush, but the pressure washer makes it nice and wet and soap and easier for the brush to do its job.
Unread 11-08-2007, 05:35 AM   #12
mca1977jpsnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ez__rider
so are there reasonable small electric water heaters a guy can buy to put on the end of a hose and wash by hand in the winter. I'd much rather do that than go to the manual sprayer! I've been thinking I need to find a touchless automatic around here though too...
IDK about the porible heater?? Maybe use a water heater from a garage?? if it's too cold out, Temper the water with interior Cold Tap water.
Here in Sacramento it may get below a Tepid 25-32deg F maybe a few weeks a year (at night)
When it gets that cold The Auto Carwashes shut down. What happens back east and in colder regions?
mca1977jpsnet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2007, 10:31 AM   #13
jeff@zina.com
2007 JK Wrangler 

The local place I use won't put a soft top through the automatic wash. Although they do put convertibles through (Touchless). But they also have a hand wash option that's relatively inexpensive and better than the mechanical wash, and they'll clean the soft top with cleaner. The hand wash is a pressure wash with a sponge follow up, same hand drying as the mechanical.

That said, I wash my own. When I bother to wash it...

Jeff
jeff@zina.com is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2007, 11:53 AM   #14
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mca1977jpsnet
When it gets that cold The Auto Carwashes shut down. What happens back east and in colder regions?
Here the car washes run year round, even when it is -40F and colder outside, and it seems like no matter when you go, you have to wait in line.

I cannot for the life of me imagine why your car washes are closing down when it is still shorts whether outside.
Unread 11-08-2007, 12:08 PM   #15
tx-Skydiver
1979 CJ5 

I willuse the full service car washes. They tend to be more gentile and I've never had a problem. Just be sure to get all of the mud and Gilmer dirt off of it first or they will charge you extra to power wash first.
2007 JK Wrangler Unlimited (Black), 4" SuperliftRanchoExpress Lift, 36" Super Swamper Irok's covering 16" ProComp's, AFE CAI, FlowMaster 40 Series, Shrockworks Rock Sliders, Rock Hard line of undercarriage skids, Warn Powerplant, Shrockworks Mid-width front bumper, Dana 44 Front
tx-Skydiver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.