Soft Top / Bikini Top Question - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Soft Top / Bikini Top Question

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Reply
Unread 06-13-2014, 12:57 AM   #1
79cj7amc304auto
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 77
Soft Top / Bikini Top Question

I've been reading for hours and haven't found an answer for this. I have a 2013 unlimited with dual top package. I just took my hardtop off and was thinking about purchasing a mesh bikini top for those times when the wife an kids don't wanna get sun stroked, but I want the open air feeling of going topless. I notice you can buy bikinis with or without a windshield channel. I haven't put up the soft top yet, but I'm wondering. Does the soft top come with a windshield channel that can also be used to secure the bikini top to the front windshield, or do I still have to purchase the channel for the bikini top? Thanks in advance for your input.

79cj7amc304auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2014, 04:55 AM   #2
Dirtay_Harry
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 48
Can't go wrong with spiderwebshade.com great product. I have it on my jeep and no need for a windshield channel it secures it's to the roll bar and the metal loops that's on your windshield. If you have a soft top you can put it right over the spiderwebshade. If not it's very easy to take off and store in a box and put back on
Dirtay_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2014, 05:43 AM   #3
jeepcouple
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 238
I have the dirtydog mesh top that can be used alone, with the hardtop or with the softtop. Simple with no special frames etc. Get one! You won't regret it.

No bs I wouldn't be without one. It makes driving in slow traffic and hot sun more tolerable and also cuts down on the wind at high speeds so my hair doesn't get messed up.

Before you make any wise comments.......I'm 67 and have a full head of hair (grey lol) so I'm not worried about sunburn on the top of my head.

Back to being VERY serious. As much as I like a mustang GT convertible I couldn't tolerate the direct overhead sunlight on a hot day in slow traffic. I never really thought about it much until I got the screen. It also cuts down the glare on your eyes. My wife prefers it without the screen but I do most of the driving (especially while she's working) and I'm the boss.......of the jeep anyway. Lol
jeepcouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2014, 12:07 PM   #4
XTRyan
ExtremeTerrain.com
 
XTRyan's Avatar
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Malvern, PA
Posts: 1,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by 79cj7amc304auto View Post
I've been reading for hours and haven't found an answer for this. I have a 2013 unlimited with dual top package. I just took my hardtop off and was thinking about purchasing a mesh bikini top for those times when the wife an kids don't wanna get sun stroked, but I want the open air feeling of going topless. I notice you can buy bikinis with or without a windshield channel. I haven't put up the soft top yet, but I'm wondering. Does the soft top come with a windshield channel that can also be used to secure the bikini top to the front windshield, or do I still have to purchase the channel for the bikini top? Thanks in advance for your input.
The mesh tops are great for keeping the open air feel but blocking some of the intense sun. The header that is in your current soft top can't be used with a mesh top so you'll have to get one that comes with a header or get one separately.

The other option is to go with something like the Dirty Dog Mesh Tops which attach to the roll bars and don't require a header. These can also stay on under your soft top or hard top if you'd prefer to not have to take it on and off. That link is to the full set up but they sell it in pieces as well so you can get the coverage you want.

Let me know if you would like a quote or if you have any questions!

-Ryan
__________________
Ryan H. | ExtremeTerrain.com Off-Road Outfitters
Toll Free: 800-988-4605 | Mon-Fri 10AM-6PM EST
Free Shipping on Orders Over $75!
EARN UP TO $200 TOWARD YOUR NEXT PURCHASE!
PM me for our JeepForum Discount Code (must have 25 posts) or Price-Matching!
GET YOUR FREE JEEP PARTS CATALOG!
XTRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2014, 10:25 AM   #5
Godholio
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: West Haven, UT
Posts: 1,859
Spiderweb Shade attaches to the roll bars and the loops along the header (where your hard top latches), not a channel.
__________________
Utah Jeep Crew #148
No powerball here? How am I supposed to finance the mods?!?
'12 Sport...miss my YJ for all the wrong reasons though
Godholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2014, 09:08 AM   #6
Bringbackmikey
Registered User
2008 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Gastonia, NC
Posts: 17
Are there any shades that'll just go over the front seats on an Unlimited? Don't really take off the bikini but do flip back the front portion on my soft top/take out the freedom panels on hard top. So something that could stay in place up front with those tops on would be sweet.
Bringbackmikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2014, 09:24 AM   #7
jeepcouple
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bringbackmikey View Post
Are there any shades that'll just go over the front seats on an Unlimited? Don't really take off the bikini but do flip back the front portion on my soft top/take out the freedom panels on hard top. So something that could stay in place up front with those tops on would be sweet.
Dirtydog.

Leave it on with hard top, softtop, whatever.
jeepcouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2014, 10:27 AM   #8
Doctor7474
Registered User
2013 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Marietta, Georgia
Posts: 790
If you have the freedom top the front panels can be attached and you would have a hard bikini top.
Doctor7474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2014, 07:42 AM   #9
JKPaul
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: , Alpha Centauri
Posts: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor7474 View Post
If you have the freedom top the front panels can be attached and you would have a hard bikini top.
OK, may sound stupid but is there any sagging with the freedom top panels on? Does it rub or come close to the top of your head?
I have a mesh top but it has its own windshield channel and is a bit of a pia. This sounds great.

Anybody try the RR model? http://www.quadratec.com/products/11124_0100_07.htm
__________________
O|||||O

"Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.......'!
JKPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2014, 09:28 AM   #10
jeepcouple
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKPaul View Post
OK, may sound stupid but is there any sagging with the freedom top panels on? Does it rub or come close to the top of your head?
I have a mesh top but it has its own windshield channel and is a bit of a pia. This sounds great.

Anybody try the RR model? http://www.quadratec.com/products/11124_0100_07.htm
No there is no sagging with the Dirtydog screen. I'm 6'2" and don't have a problem with headroom. I do like the seat in the lowest position regardless.
If I ordered a new jeep (mine is a 2012) I'd order a new shade at the same time. I wouldn't be without it.

I wouldn't consider trading for the quadratech version without seeing the quality first hand. Also mine secures VERY SECURELY with bungee cords and a long Velcro strip over the roll bar. Virtually no wind noise or flapping.
jeepcouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2014, 09:34 AM   #11
jeepcouple
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 238
More to add.........if I had my way I'd have a framed RETRACTABLE screen almost exactly like the ones sold for patio/garden doors. I don't understand why someone has come up with one. If I'm not mistaken all the shades in cars with sunroofs are solid sun blocking and need to have the glass closed as well????
jeepcouple is offline   Reply With Quote




Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.