So who can give me the most honest answer? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > So who can give me the most honest answer?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 03-07-2013, 01:17 PM   #1
BjBk11
2011 JK Wrangler 

So who can give me the most honest answer?

Yes once again, a newbie asking about a lift kit. Before I lose half of you and click away, all I am asking for is a simple answer.

I have spent countless hours reading about lifting, tires, gear ratios, etc.

And basically from what I have gathered is no one gives a direct answer regarding driveshaft issues and moderate lift heights.

Obviously, anything over 4" is gonna destroy a stock wrangler with out some serious investments in the undercarriage and driveline.

However, the 2"-3.5" range is sort of a grey area on the these forums.

So who wants to bite and give me their honest opinion.

I hate the idea of using "pucks" and maintaining the same suspension components. If thats the route you recommend I'd rather just fit a smaller tire and do some trimming and use wheelspacers.

I also hate the thought of putting a lift on only to cause major problems down the road.

So lets hear it, what do I need to create the best daily driver, won't destroy my driveshaft, and prevent other issues such as axle allignments, DW, etc.

I know a lot of you are gonna give me the because its a Daily Driver, but I have yet to find a thread that is tailored to creating the best daily driver and doing it the RIGHT WAY. If there is such a thread and I haven't found it, please forward me there.

I have a 2011 2dr 6 spd manual 3.21s

Will be re-gearing.

Interested in 33s-35s.

BjBk11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2013, 01:19 PM   #2
Noxian
2011 JK Wrangler 

2.5 inch, flat fenders and 35s is a great combo for a dialy driver, but you will want to regear if you have 3.21s
Noxian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2013, 01:33 PM   #3
BjBk11
2011 JK Wrangler 

2.5" seems like the safest way to go, but it seems like more people like the 3.5" AEV lift vs. the AEV 2.5". And I don't see many other brands that are highly recommended in that range. Please Inform me if I am being a sucker for branding...
Regardless of which height and brand...

To Do it correctly and gain the best alignments etc... here is what I understand I will be needing:
1.) Adj. Front Track Bar: Best brand to get?
2.) Control Arms? Can anyone elaborate on these?
3.) Springs: Progressive
4.) Shocks: Bilsteins or Fox 2.0s
5.) Steering Stabilizer
6.) AEV ProCal

Basically that is all included in the AEV 3.5" Dualsport SC. BDS also offers a nice package at 3"

But the problem I am running into, and the main reason I started this thread is the grey area I mentioned, I have read conflicting things regarding the Drive shaft and lift heights greater than 3".

So am I being crazy boiling this down to the difference of .5"-1" difference in height? The 3" kits definitely seem more complete but could cause damage in the long run....
Unread 03-07-2013, 02:12 PM   #4
XTRyan
ExtremeTerrain.com

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BjBk11 View Post
Yes once again, a newbie asking about a lift kit. Before I lose half of you and click away, all I am asking for is a simple answer.

I have spent countless hours reading about lifting, tires, gear ratios, etc.

And basically from what I have gathered is no one gives a direct answer regarding driveshaft issues and moderate lift heights.

Obviously, anything over 4" is gonna destroy a stock wrangler with out some serious investments in the undercarriage and driveline.

However, the 2"-3.5" range is sort of a grey area on the these forums.

So who wants to bite and give me their honest opinion.

I hate the idea of using "pucks" and maintaining the same suspension components. If thats the route you recommend I'd rather just fit a smaller tire and do some trimming and use wheelspacers.

I also hate the thought of putting a lift on only to cause major problems down the road.

So lets hear it, what do I need to create the best daily driver, won't destroy my driveshaft, and prevent other issues such as axle allignments, DW, etc.

I know a lot of you are gonna give me the because its a Daily Driver, but I have yet to find a thread that is tailored to creating the best daily driver and doing it the RIGHT WAY. If there is such a thread and I haven't found it, please forward me there.

I have a 2011 2dr 6 spd manual 3.21s

Will be re-gearing.

Interested in 33s-35s.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BjBk11 View Post
2.5" seems like the safest way to go, but it seems like more people like the 3.5" AEV lift vs. the AEV 2.5". And I don't see many other brands that are highly recommended in that range. Please Inform me if I am being a sucker for branding...
Regardless of which height and brand...

To Do it correctly and gain the best alignments etc... here is what I understand I will be needing:
1.) Adj. Front Track Bar: Best brand to get?
2.) Control Arms? Can anyone elaborate on these?
3.) Springs: Progressive
4.) Shocks: Bilsteins or Fox 2.0s
5.) Steering Stabilizer
6.) AEV ProCal

Basically that is all included in the AEV 3.5" Dualsport SC. BDS also offers a nice package at 3"

But the problem I am running into, and the main reason I started this thread is the grey area I mentioned, I have read conflicting things regarding the Drive shaft and lift heights greater than 3".

So am I being crazy boiling this down to the difference of .5"-1" difference in height? The 3" kits definitely seem more complete but could cause damage in the long run....
BjBk11,

It seems like you have really done your research in terms of what you will need to make your rig a good daily driver and weekend wheeler. Honestly that what most of the guys on this forum have. They run a 2.5"-3" lift with some 35's and either cut their stock fenders or get some aftermarket ones for some extra clearance and flex.

When it comes to options for brand there is a TON of great brands out there other than just AEV. Rock Krawler and Teraflex are 2 of the best on the market today. They both have strong components that will last a long time. Along with very detailed instructions, and they come complete with all the parts you will need to install it, other than shocks with the Rock Krawler kits. That will allow you to choose your own shocks, which is a great way to make sure your rig rides the way you want it too.

Obviously the lift and larger tires will put more strain on the drivetrain as compared to stock, but with only a 2.5"-3" lift and 35's you will be fine DD'ing it.
I have over 5000 miles on my 2012 with 35's and 2" lift and have had no issues with it.

Re-gearing will be something you will want to do, and almost need to do. It will put your RPM's back in the stock range and get your power and fuel economy back close to stock. The 2011 with a manual trans, you will want to run a 4.88 gear ratio for the best performance.

If you have any other questions or need some advice on which parts to pick, shoot me a PM and I'll gladly give you some help.

-Zach
EARN UP TO $200 TOWARD YOUR NEXT PURCHASE!
PM me for our JeepForum Discount Code (must have 25 posts) or Price-Matching!
GET YOUR FREE JEEP PARTS CATALOG!
XTRyan is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2013, 03:11 PM   #5
BigBlue7
2010 JK Wrangler 

well, to be honest, your going to need a new driveshaft at some point if you get more than 2.5"

I ran a 2.5 for a year, no problems. Then I installed the 3.5 RK X Factor and 35's. I watched the DS very carefully, inspecting it after every 100 miles or so. After about 600 miles I noticed the grease was starting to fling out of the boot seal. I imediately took it off, and repaired it before it busted the boot. Ordered a Tom Woods 1310, and for $75 I sold the DS to a club member who is running a 2.5" - it's been good on his rig w/o any issues. (all this happened b/f I even had the chance to really enjoy/test the suspension, other than the suspension cycling tests.)
Unread 03-07-2013, 04:06 PM   #6
Green08

Cut pinch seam...
Green08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2013, 08:52 PM   #7
thedirtman

2007 JK Wrangler 

Flat fenders, leveling kit or 3/4" puck up front and 35's. Less height you add to the suspension the better. You wont need to do much more then coils and shocks up to 2" after that you will start adding components when you hit 4" expect to replace most of the undercarrage and steering. Remember you cannot correct your caster unless you swap axle housings or the whole axle and the higher you go the more out of spec your caster will be.
Unread 03-07-2013, 09:31 PM   #8
HighandLow
Stay Frosty...

2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue7
well, to be honest, your going to need a new driveshaft at some point if you get more than 2.5"

I ran a 2.5 for a year, no problems. Then I installed the 3.5 RK X Factor and 35's. I watched the DS very carefully, inspecting it after every 100 miles or so. After about 600 miles I noticed the grease was starting to fling out of the boot seal. I imediately took it off, and repaired it before it busted the boot. Ordered a Tom Woods 1310, and for $75 I sold the DS to a club member who is running a 2.5" - it's been good on his rig w/o any issues. (all this happened b/f I even had the chance to really enjoy/test the suspension, other than the suspension cycling tests.)
Smart and proactive! Preventative maintenance.
Unread 03-09-2013, 09:26 AM   #9
BjBk11
2011 JK Wrangler 

Thanks guys for all your input. I have seen many of you posting in some of the other threads on here and I am confident in your thoughts. I will be meeting with the shop who is doing the work in the next week or so, and will definitely take along a lot of these comments. If you guys don't mind I would like to report back with what the final build design will be and see if it is missing anything. Thanks again fellas.
Unread 03-09-2013, 04:12 PM   #10
UTAH

I faced the same lift issues on the new JK. I wanted something easy on the drive train and other components for years of worry-free daily driving as well as trail work.

I went with a 1.25 body lift and a 1" coil spacer. Running 11x34" tires with no rubbing.

Bill
Unread 03-09-2013, 04:51 PM   #11
4wdjeepguy
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Rokmen 2.5" spacers, Teraflex bumpstops, Bilstein shocks, Currie trackbars, JKS rear trackbar brace, Teraflex dropped brakeline brackets.. That's the gist of it... You don't need much if your keeping it on the street most of the time. I'd retain your factory coils. I'm willing to bet Chrysler spent a little more coin in the r&d department than most aftermarket suspension manufacturers
4wdjeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2013, 05:23 PM   #12
tnpopatop
2012 JK Wrangler 

We have 2 Jeeps one my kids call the Junky Jeep, a green 97 TJ and my wifes 2012JKU. The 2012 is just a pavement Jeep for now and like you I wanted to lift it and still be able to use it as transportation without any negative effects. I purchased a 2.5 Teraflex coil lift kit and installed it myself really was super easy no special tools except for a borrowed torque wrench. Stock wheels cause my wife likes them w/ synergy 1.5" spacers. 315/70/17 tires. Rides good, drives good, handles good, you get the picture no negative effects for my wifes daily driving rig. Just like stock except nearly 35" tires.
2013-03-09-15.44.40.jpg  
tnpopatop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2013, 05:42 PM   #13
Wavedatya
2010 JK Wrangler 

A lady in my area has a JKU with 2.5 lift. 35" tires and flat fenders. It's looks great and she said it drives nice
OF4WD member #7523. Durham 4x4 member.
Wavedatya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2013, 01:15 PM   #14
UTAH

Guys, keep in mind the OP has a 2-door Wrangler. To go more than 2" with a suspension lift is harder on the rear drive line than with the 4-door.

Bill
Unread 03-10-2013, 03:00 PM   #15
Wavedatya
2010 JK Wrangler 

Sorry OP. so maybe some 2" or 1.75" spacers and if you want get some good shocks. Good to go! Good price for spacers and get good set of shocks. Bada bing!
OF4WD member #7523. Durham 4x4 member.
Wavedatya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
build thread , daily driver , lift advice , new guy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.