snow + soft top = ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > snow + soft top = ?

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 08-21-2007, 07:16 PM   #1
llik1tohs1

snow + soft top = ?

i know its a bit early but with winter coming up how does the soft top hold up with the weight of inches of snow on it?

llik1tohs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2007, 08:08 PM   #2
nycaubrun
2006 TJ Wrangler 

if it is like my tj you will be fine. i like the plastic windows better because you just smack the from the inside and all the ice come right off no scraping.
nycaubrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2007, 08:12 PM   #3
Rossta

They hold up just fine; I've had mine for several years now, it stays outside all the time, and I've never had a problem. If it's a particularly wet and heavy snow, I'll go out and brush the snow off once it builds up - just to be safe.

But, be careful of smacking your windows too hard when they are cold, since they are more brittle and prone to breaking.
Rossta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2007, 09:48 PM   #4
Durk
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycaubrun
if it is like my tj you will be fine. i like the plastic windows better because you just smack the from the inside and all the ice come right off no scraping.
Now that's what I like to hear!
Unread 08-22-2007, 06:28 AM   #5
JKcarp

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycaubrun
Becareful doing that, because I put a whole right through my rear window like that. I gave it a quick tap to get everything off and it cracked the plastic window.

I've seen a guy put his ice scraper through a plastic window also.

This was on my TJ.
JKcarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2007, 06:56 AM   #6
Grant211
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by llik1tohs1
i know its a bit early but with winter coming up how does the soft top hold up with the weight of inches of snow on it?

sorry dude, I can't help ya. I haven't seen snow since 1997.
Unread 08-22-2007, 08:12 AM   #7
squid2004

My TJ soft top holds up just fine and we had a pretty harsh winter last year. The only trouble is the wet heavy stuff will tend to freeze/bond with the top so you can't get it all off... and then later when you are going down the highway and it starts to "unstick", huge chunks will go flying and could hit other cars.

But that just makes it fun!

I'm curious how my huge JK 4-door softop will hold up.
Unread 08-22-2007, 12:02 PM   #8
llik1tohs1

thanks for all the quick replies. was worried that i would come up and the build up of snow would cause the top to cave in. guess it's stronger than it seems. thanks again
llik1tohs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2007, 01:10 PM   #9
KrasnayaZnamya

Never had a problem with my TJ, and that had the denim top, not the better top that's on the newer ones.

I'd be careful about the sheets of stuff coming off...while I agree it's pretty cool looking, you can also get a ticket for it, at least around these here parts....

Still, does look really cool as it hits the pavement and virtually explodes...
Unread 08-22-2007, 01:20 PM   #10
PeteC
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Look at where the Jeeps are designed, built and tested. Michigan/Ohio. Not exactly your sun belt.

We have plenty of JK's around here that spend all winter with the softtops in whatever Michigan can send it's way. The tops survive just fine.
There is no Bandaid for Stupidity
Sorry if my support of legal wheeling offends you
PeteC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2007, 02:04 PM   #11
packrat213
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I am here in Northern Virginia and got my JK in Dec '06. We had several storms with some wet heavy snow, one about 8 inches. My top sagged a good bit but when I brushed the snow off it went right back into shape. Didn't have any problems. It was very easy to push the snow off in big chunks with a broom.
packrat213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2007, 05:26 PM   #12
BeerMonkeY
2007 JK Wrangler 

mine sagged alot with about 12" of wet snow on it. and water started to seep through when it got warmer, it was a spring storm.
Unread 08-29-2007, 04:20 PM   #13
Durk
2007 JK Wrangler 

Has anyone tried spraying (Pam Cooking Spray) on the plastic windows just b-4 a winter storm? Just wondering what it might do.
Unread 08-29-2007, 07:53 PM   #14
MIKE007
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durk
Has anyone tried spraying (Pam Cooking Spray) on the plastic windows just b-4 a winter storm? Just wondering what it might do.
I use real butter and just a hint of garlic.

2007 BLK Sahara Unlimited 4WD Loaded Dual Tops, 18's and Bone Stock (For Now)[B][/B]
MIKE007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2007, 03:02 AM   #15
pe_jeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKcarp
Becareful doing that, because I put a whole right through my rear window like that. I gave it a quick tap to get everything off and it cracked the plastic window.

This was on my TJ.
Did the same thing with my old YJ, I used to run soft doors all winter as well, that was interesting some mornings.
pe_jeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.