Snow season coming up, how do you prepare for it? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Snow season coming up, how do you prepare for it?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 10-09-2013, 09:40 AM   #31
justin credible
2012 JK Wrangler 

Just FYI to the OP; You don't want to air down in the snow, that will make you ride on top of it and decrease traction. If anything you want to overinflate.

The best example I can think of is rally cars. When they do a snow run they use hard compound skinny tires.

justin credible is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2013, 11:24 AM   #32
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

Heh Heh, you can't compare 2wd race cars on hard snow to jeeps in 5' of soft snow

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin credible View Post
Just FYI to the OP; You don't want to air down in the snow, that will make you ride on top of it and decrease traction. If anything you want to overinflate.

The best example I can think of is rally cars. When they do a snow run they use hard compound skinny tires.
You airdown when you're trying to drive, in over 3' of new snow and that does make you float on top--it's a requirement if you wanna go somewhere and not spend all day digging/stuck-

Of course you won't airdown in 1 to 2 ft of snow, just drive carefully and clean the diff. humps when forward motion stops, backup, shovel hump, drive on

Fun in the snow-

JIMBO
JIMBOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2013, 05:43 PM   #33
MoonyJohn
Mountain Climber

2008 JK Wrangler 

Hm, I guess it makes sense.. I usually aired down but I suppose its normal to stay at regular PSI. I was thinking more for rainy season, does it help traction when the roads are wet? More tire surface that way..

"Water covers 3/4 of the earth, Jeep covers the rest"
MoonyJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2013, 05:47 PM   #34
brianjw
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonyJohn
Hm, I guess it makes sense.. I usually aired down but I suppose its normal to stay at regular PSI. I was thinking more for rainy season, does it help traction when the roads are wet? More tire surface that way..
Under inflating tires increases hydroplaning.
More tire pressure keeps the tire a contact patch a little more round, and it pushes the water toward the outside edges of the tire as it should. Too little pressure and the tread gets concave, water collects in the center of the tread pattern and you are more likely to hydroplane.
brianjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2013, 07:02 PM   #35
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

Take more time to get where you have to go. That's winter driving preparation.
SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2013, 07:27 PM   #36
Butterjeep
2012 JK Wrangler 

Don't air down. If anything add air, cooler temps cause psi in hour tires to drop slightly.
Unread 10-09-2013, 08:17 PM   #37
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

If it rains--

TAKE A CAB and support your neighborhood-

JIMBO
JIMBOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2014, 11:15 PM   #38
Spook45
2008 JK Wrangler 

Already did......bought a JEEP For extreme cold temps I add a few things to the Bug Out Bag and throw a wool blanket and sleeping bag into the back.
Spook45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.