Snow season coming up, how do you prepare for it? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Snow season coming up, how do you prepare for it?

WJ Tube Doors Now Available!*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 10-06-2013, 03:42 PM   #1
MoonyJohn
Mountain Climber

2008 JK Wrangler 

Snow season coming up, how do you prepare for it?

Just a thread on you guys showing how you get your rig ready for winter driving. I know for me being that I havent had a winter with the JK yet, I added new brighter headlights and replaced the fog lights with some new warn fog lights for better visibility. What are some mods that you have done that youve noticed helped alot?

For me, my plans are..

1. Better light visibility
2. Roof rack rails for a snowboard/ski rack
3. Air down my tires lower than the normal for better traction
4. Upgraded windshield wipers
5. Winch (because you never know)
6. Sound system (for those road trips )

Just curious to see if there are things that some of us might not have done!

"Water covers 3/4 of the earth, Jeep covers the rest"
MoonyJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2013, 04:03 PM   #2
Jiblet
2008 JK Wrangler 

Just took off my half doors and soft top in favor of the full doors and hard top.

Check the coolant and battery. Watch the tire pressures a little more closely.

I put on front mud flaps and a fuel-filler door to keep the slush off the sides and off of the gas-cap.

Some folks extend the tubing of their washer fluid so they can loop it a few times around the coolant top hose. Gives them heated washer fluid.

I'll eventually throw a cold weather bag in the back, too. Small fleece blanket, a hoodie, extra warm hat and gloves.

Have to love the remote starter....
Jiblet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2013, 04:18 PM   #3
jabsther
2010 JK Wrangler 

Put hard top on yesterday. Keep blankets under seats (wife/kids sometimes use them year round).
Place boat wet suit under seat to use at work when go boating if needed. Or just incase.
jabsther is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2013, 04:18 PM   #4
MoonyJohn
Mountain Climber

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiblet View Post
Just took off my half doors and soft top in favor of the full doors and hard top.

Check the coolant and battery. Watch the tire pressures a little more closely.

I put on front mud flaps and a fuel-filler door to keep the slush off the sides and off of the gas-cap.

Some folks extend the tubing of their washer fluid so they can loop it a few times around the coolant top hose. Gives them heated washer fluid.

I'll eventually throw a cold weather bag in the back, too. Small fleece blanket, a hoodie, extra warm hat and gloves.

Have to love the remote starter....
I like that heated washer fluid idea.. Do you know where there is a picture of something like that?

I completely agree with you on the remote start! Just have to remember to keep the heater on when you last leave your jeep.

Unread 10-06-2013, 04:35 PM   #5
Godholio
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
This is a really good idea, I've never heard it before.
Utah Jeep Crew #148
No powerball here? How am I supposed to finance the mods?!?
'12 Sport...miss my YJ for all the wrong reasons though
Godholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2013, 05:07 PM   #6
Yendor
2013 JK Wrangler 

I've never had a block heater before. But when mine comes in three weeks from now, I'll have that option. I work nights, and maybe I can plug it in for a while before I head home on BFG All Terrain TA KOs with True Track.
Yendor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2013, 06:11 PM   #7
AlbertaJeeper
2013 JK Wrangler 

I've got some Toyo winters coming in right away for mine. Also synthetic oil is really nice to have if you get really low temps where you are. Always having ice scraper and mitts and toque is a must. More than anything it comes down to driving technique, and don't try to rush somewhere if you're late and its a blizzard!
AlbertaJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2013, 06:16 PM   #8
gcan
2008 JK Wrangler 

1. put the top on
2. put the doors on
3. change out my go-to box in the back (take out sunblock, flipflops, ect, add a blanket, extra gloves, hand warmers, camp shovel, spare boots, ice scraper, ect)

Love the washer line idea. gonna play with that tommorrow!
gcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2013, 07:41 PM   #9
Jiblet
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godholio

This is a really good idea, I've never heard it before.
I read about it on another forum. Can't recall who thought it up.

If I remember it involved a length of washer tubing and a couple adapters. Coil the tubing around the upper coolant hose and connect to the stock washer tubing.
Unread 10-06-2013, 07:46 PM   #10
Jiblet
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonyJohn

I like that heated washer fluid idea.. Do you know where there is a picture of something like that?

I completely agree with you on the remote start! Just have to remember to keep the heater on when you last leave your jeep.
Couldn't find pictures. I'll look around some more.

I recall folks turning to the defrost setting of a fully-hot heater with a cold windshield and cracking the windshield as the result. JKs can throw some heat!
Unread 10-06-2013, 08:05 PM   #11
MoonyJohn
Mountain Climber

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Couldn't find pictures. I'll look around some more.

I recall folks turning to the defrost setting of a fully-hot heater with a cold windshield and cracking the windshield as the result. JKs can throw some heat!
I was wondering about that.. I had my wet work gloves on my dash when I had my WJ and it was snowy outside, ended up sending a crack from side to side. I would be worried about that happening especially if you already have a rock crack somewhere.

Unread 10-06-2013, 08:28 PM   #12
Gumby1
2014 JK Wrangler 

The only thing I do is put on the hardtop and pray it dumps so much snow only jeeps can get around. The license plate on my 911 is "snowh8r" I was gonna get one for my Jeep "snolovr"
Gumby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2013, 09:59 PM   #13
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

here a good bikini top is about all you need all year, unless you like sun burn. I have the soft doors/half that pop on or off if needed. windjammer if its gets to cool.

its just now getting cool enough to start are local wheeling season in the desert.
Unread 10-07-2013, 05:06 AM   #14
Wrigley
2013 JK Wrangler 

I moved to Florida!

Mike
Wrigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2013, 06:57 AM   #15
fitzz47
2013 JK Wrangler 

I go to Florida

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.