JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   JK Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/)
-   -   Snow season coming up, how do you prepare for it? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/snow-season-coming-up-how-do-you-prepare-1657129/)

MoonyJohn 10-06-2013 03:42 PM

Snow season coming up, how do you prepare for it?

Just a thread on you guys showing how you get your rig ready for winter driving. I know for me being that I havent had a winter with the JK yet, I added new brighter headlights and replaced the fog lights with some new warn fog lights for better visibility. What are some mods that you have done that youve noticed helped alot?

For me, my plans are..

1. Better light visibility
2. Roof rack rails for a snowboard/ski rack
3. Air down my tires lower than the normal for better traction
4. Upgraded windshield wipers
5. Winch (because you never know)
6. Sound system (for those road trips :thumbsup: )

Just curious to see if there are things that some of us might not have done!

:wave:

Jiblet 10-06-2013 04:03 PM

Just took off my half doors and soft top in favor of the full doors and hard top.

Check the coolant and battery. Watch the tire pressures a little more closely.

I put on front mud flaps and a fuel-filler door to keep the slush off the sides and off of the gas-cap.

Some folks extend the tubing of their washer fluid so they can loop it a few times around the coolant top hose. Gives them heated washer fluid.

I'll eventually throw a cold weather bag in the back, too. Small fleece blanket, a hoodie, extra warm hat and gloves.

Have to love the remote starter....

jabsther 10-06-2013 04:18 PM

Put hard top on yesterday. Keep blankets under seats (wife/kids sometimes use them year round).
Place boat wet suit under seat to use at work when go boating if needed. Or just incase.

MoonyJohn 10-06-2013 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jiblet (Post 16605393)
Just took off my half doors and soft top in favor of the full doors and hard top.

Check the coolant and battery. Watch the tire pressures a little more closely.

I put on front mud flaps and a fuel-filler door to keep the slush off the sides and off of the gas-cap.

Some folks extend the tubing of their washer fluid so they can loop it a few times around the coolant top hose. Gives them heated washer fluid.

I'll eventually throw a cold weather bag in the back, too. Small fleece blanket, a hoodie, extra warm hat and gloves.

Have to love the remote starter....

I like that heated washer fluid idea.. Do you know where there is a picture of something like that?

I completely agree with you on the remote start! Just have to remember to keep the heater on when you last leave your jeep.

Godholio 10-06-2013 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jiblet (Post 16605393)

This is a really good idea, I've never heard it before.

Yendor 10-06-2013 05:07 PM

I've never had a block heater before. But when mine comes in three weeks from now, I'll have that option. I work nights, and maybe I can plug it in for a while before I head home on BFG All Terrain TA KOs with True Track.

AlbertaJeeper 10-06-2013 06:11 PM

I've got some Toyo winters coming in right away for mine. Also synthetic oil is really nice to have if you get really low temps where you are. Always having ice scraper and mitts and toque is a must. More than anything it comes down to driving technique, and don't try to rush somewhere if you're late and its a blizzard!

gcan 10-06-2013 06:16 PM

1. put the top on
2. put the doors on
3. change out my go-to box in the back (take out sunblock, flipflops, ect, add a blanket, extra gloves, hand warmers, camp shovel, spare boots, ice scraper, ect)

Love the washer line idea. gonna play with that tommorrow!

Jiblet 10-06-2013 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Godholio

This is a really good idea, I've never heard it before.

I read about it on another forum. Can't recall who thought it up.

If I remember it involved a length of washer tubing and a couple adapters. Coil the tubing around the upper coolant hose and connect to the stock washer tubing.

Jiblet 10-06-2013 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoonyJohn

I like that heated washer fluid idea.. Do you know where there is a picture of something like that?

I completely agree with you on the remote start! Just have to remember to keep the heater on when you last leave your jeep.

Couldn't find pictures. I'll look around some more.

I recall folks turning to the defrost setting of a fully-hot heater with a cold windshield and cracking the windshield as the result. JKs can throw some heat!

MoonyJohn 10-06-2013 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jiblet (Post 16610937)
Couldn't find pictures. I'll look around some more.

I recall folks turning to the defrost setting of a fully-hot heater with a cold windshield and cracking the windshield as the result. JKs can throw some heat!

I was wondering about that.. I had my wet work gloves on my dash when I had my WJ and it was snowy outside, ended up sending a crack from side to side. I would be worried about that happening especially if you already have a rock crack somewhere.

Gumby1 10-06-2013 08:28 PM

The only thing I do is put on the hardtop and pray it dumps so much snow only jeeps can get around. The license plate on my 911 is "snowh8r" I was gonna get one for my Jeep "snolovr" :laugh:

222Doc 10-06-2013 09:59 PM

here a good bikini top is about all you need all year, unless you like sun burn. I have the soft doors/half that pop on or off if needed. windjammer if its gets to cool.

its just now getting cool enough to start are local wheeling season in the desert.

Wrigley 10-07-2013 05:06 AM

I moved to Florida! :laugh:

Mike

fitzz47 10-07-2013 06:57 AM

I go to Florida

The time now is 01:25 AM.