Snow Question - Stock 2008 Sahara Unlmt - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Snow Question - Stock 2008 Sahara Unlmt

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits

Unread 02-14-2010, 04:51 PM   #1
krip
2008 JK Wrangler 

Snow Question - Stock 2008 Sahara Unlmt

I'm in the northeast and found myself in a kind of bottlenck situation in a state park where due to others gettong stuck people were trying to leave the park going the wrong way on a one way.

So there I am waiting for peple to figure out who was going to back out. Going off the plowed road meant negotiating snow that was about 20 - 25 inches deep. (not really the light stuff but not super wet either). So I sat and wondered if I should just go around all teh minivans and get home or if i would end up getting stuck myself. I broke my fibula before christmas and am still on crutches having a plate and screws installed in my left leg so getting stuck mysel was especiallly not appealing.

So waht would u guys do? Would I have made it easy?

Thanks
Krip

krip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2010, 05:05 PM   #2
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

No.
ronjenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2010, 05:20 PM   #3
nwbronco
2014 JK Wrangler 

Nope, wouldn't have been a good idea. You'd also need to air down a considerable amount to increase your footprint. And then, hopefully you'd get enough under you to pack down a path to ease onto. If not, you'd just nose into a drift with everything from the bumper and below being a snow blocker and possibly breaking the traction you might gain in the first place by airing down. Being injured, you need to stay the path, regardless of the mini-van count in front of you.

Bob
nwbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2010, 05:29 PM   #4
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

**IF** you were healthy and we were talking about 10 inches of snow, I'd say go for it. However, in the situation that you faced (20 plus inches of snow) and the fact that you were not healthy, I have no doubt you made the correct call.
little_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2010, 05:32 PM   #5
krutj
2009 JK Wrangler 

I have been in very few circumstances where 4-lo wouldn't work. Just for future ref. 4lo at a crawl in snow, with no spinning, will get you there.

someday you may need to get around.
Unread 02-14-2010, 05:50 PM   #6
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by krutj View Post
I have been in very few circumstances where 4-lo wouldn't work. Just for future ref. 4lo at a crawl in snow, with no spinning, will get you there.

someday you may need to get around.
Open diff Jeep with about 11 inches of ground clearence and 20 to 25 inches of snow..... Crawl?? I wouldn't try it.
Unread 02-14-2010, 06:05 PM   #7
JeffinWesternWA
2010 JK Wrangler 

low tire pressures in snow are an old INCORRECT myth...Snow tires need as "as advertised" pressures to decrease the footprint and "grip" by exposing the snow tread (narrow is more effective in snow), go w/ the door tag sticker (probably 35lbs) and pressure "up", sand and MUD need lower pressures, snow, needs MORE...(snow tires in the ol' bias belt tire days needed approx 4lbs extra to expose the tread to grip), old pro truck drivers know... it should be NO problem, even w/ open diffs and all season M&S tires on Jeep...one reason I ordered a trac lock on my '10, for when the 4wd becomes 2 WD (one front and on rear tire), brings back bad memories, but, enough years of driving 2wd cars and 4wd trucks in snow covered Maine was great experience...
Unread 02-14-2010, 06:10 PM   #8
krawler510
1999 XJ Cherokee 

These guys run 2-8 psi. Not saying it's the same conditions but lower pressure seems to be the ticket sometimes for sure.

Unread 02-14-2010, 06:45 PM   #9
sean2857
2001 XJ Cherokee 

i would have to say it all depends on what type of tires you have. i just got maxxis bighorns put on mine and i feel like i can go anywhere.i was able to go through about 10in in 2wd. granted i had a little bit of momentum built up. In 4wd i feel like i can go anywhere.
Unread 02-14-2010, 06:59 PM   #10
nwbronco
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffinWesternWA View Post
low tire pressures in snow are an old INCORRECT myth...Snow tires need as "as advertised" pressures to decrease the footprint and "grip" by exposing the snow tread (narrow is more effective in snow), go w/ the door tag sticker (probably 35lbs) and pressure "up", sand and MUD need lower pressures, snow, needs MORE...(snow tires in the ol' bias belt tire days needed approx 4lbs extra to expose the tread to grip), old pro truck drivers know... it should be NO problem, even w/ open diffs and all season M&S tires on Jeep...one reason I ordered a trac lock on my '10, for when the 4wd becomes 2 WD (one front and on rear tire), brings back bad memories, but, enough years of driving 2wd cars and 4wd trucks in snow covered Maine was great experience...
Jeff,

You are here in the great Northwest. I have to say, it's no myth on our excursions up in the Wenatchee Forest. We may be talking apples and oranges though. A snow covered trail is vastly different than a snow covered road.

Bob
Unread 02-14-2010, 07:19 PM   #11
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

The good part about wheeling with a group is you learn what works and where it works.
And if something doesn't work, you have help right there.
ronjenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2010, 07:17 AM   #12
krip
2008 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for all the replies and advice. I'm glad I hung tight and waited although it was killing me to not have it a go. I think being on crutches really is what made me wait. I really need to get some experience wheeling. I'm an admitted rookie. I live just outside Princeton, NJ and there isn't anywhere real close to go that I know of. Need to keep looking and maybe hook up with a local club.

Thanks again.
Krip
Unread 02-15-2010, 07:49 AM   #13
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjenx View Post
The good part about wheeling with a group is you learn what works and where it works.
And if something doesn't work, you have help right there.
I agree 110%, also, you learn the correct way to do things in a safe manner, or at least as safe as it gets. When I started wheel-n, I just went out with some buddies...... didn't know it at the time, but we broke every rule. This is NOT the way to learn.
Unread 02-15-2010, 08:19 AM   #14
krip
2008 JK Wrangler 

can anyone recomend some clubs local to Princeton, NJ?
Unread 02-15-2010, 09:00 AM   #15
nwbronco
2014 JK Wrangler 

North East USA - JeepForum.com

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.