Snorkel question/recommendation - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Snorkel question/recommendation

UCF Halloween Sale - 15% Off Until Midnight on Friday!Jeep Wrangler Complete Gear Upgrade Kits with Installs andZone Offroad Body and Suspension Lift Kits, Brackets, Disc

Unread 02-26-2013, 04:54 PM   #1
Paio2012
2012 JK Wrangler 

Snorkel question/recommendation

Guys:

I want to install a snorkel on my JK 2012. The main reason for me is to improve/increase cold air intake on my Pentastar 3.6l and doing so I believe I can get some gas mileage improvement. Please correct if I am wrong here. I have looked up two options: River Raider Offroad Expedition Snorkel (Quadratec http://www.quadratec.com/products/12591_0041_07.htm at $546.99) and Rugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel Kit (Quadratec http://www.quadratec.com/products/17011_0011_07.htm at $349.99). Does anyone have any experience with these products? Thanks in advance for your advices.

Last edited by Paio2012; 02-26-2013 at 05:25 PM.. Reason: I am correcting links
Paio2012 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2013, 05:12 PM   #2
Tanimal
Why are you reading this?

2008 JK Wrangler 

I have the Rugged Ridge snorkel and really like it. Didn't really see any MPG gains but I did feel a pickup in low end torque. I based my decision on price, ease of installation, cheap insurance if I'm ever in the situation where the water is a bit high, and also liked how the Rugged Ridge sat on the top of the cowl and was "protected" from side damage for the most part. I don't really plan on ever using the low mount but it's nice to have that as an option. The only negative about the RR snorkel is it blocks some of your view and adds to that "blind spot" from the windshield pillar. Also I got it through Northridge 4x4 for 287 shipped to my door. Quadratec is a nice site to browse on but sometimes isn't the site to buy from.

and by the way....both your links are to the RR snorkel.

-=-CLICK HERE FOR MY XJ BUILD THREAD-=-

Learning as I go and it's worth every penny!
Tanimal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2013, 05:27 PM   #3
Paio2012
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanimal View Post
I have the Rugged Ridge snorkel and really like it. Didn't really see any MPG gains but I did feel a pickup in low end torque. I based my decision on price, ease of installation, cheap insurance if I'm ever in the situation where the water is a bit high, and also liked how the Rugged Ridge sat on the top of the cowl and was "protected" from side damage for the most part. I don't really plan on ever using the low mount but it's nice to have that as an option. The only negative about the RR snorkel is it blocks some of your view and adds to that "blind spot" from the windshield pillar. Also I got it through Northridge 4x4 for 287 shipped to my door. Quadratec is a nice site to browse on but sometimes isn't the site to buy from.

and by the way....both your links are to the RR snorkel.
Thanks for the recommendation. I have corrected the links and I agree regarding Quadratec. Site is good but pricewise is questionable...
Unread 02-26-2013, 05:27 PM   #4
awinski
young & dumb

2012 JK Wrangler 

i like them both, i do like the river raiders umbrella idea, i eventually plan to make my own snorkel and incorporate something along those lines. but that is a little ways off.both are great designs imo
Unread 02-27-2013, 10:32 AM   #5
MountainMan864
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Look into Volant. It would be the only snorkel/cai I would run.
MountainMan864 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2013, 11:00 AM   #6
cyberpyrot
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paio2012 View Post
Guys:

I want to install a snorkel on my JK 2012. The main reason for me is to improve/increase cold air intake on my Pentastar 3.6l and doing so I believe I can get some gas mileage improvement. Please correct if I am wrong here. I have looked up two options: River Raider Offroad Expedition Snorkel (Quadratec http://www.quadratec.com/products/12591_0041_07.htm at $546.99) and Rugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel Kit (Quadratec http://www.quadratec.com/products/17011_0011_07.htm at $349.99). Does anyone have any experience with these products? Thanks in advance for your advices.
be carefull Quadratec somtimes is mis informed there is no mention of the 12-13 snorkle on the rugged ridge website they do however have this one

http://www.ruggedridge.com/xhd-low-h...-wrangler.html

Thought of the day
Trust people who like big butts they cannot lie...
cyberpyrot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2013, 11:08 AM   #7
Demp
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
...I want to install a snorkel on my JK 2012. The main reason for me is to improve/increase cold air intake on my Pentastar 3.6l and doing so I believe I can get some gas mileage improvement....
You will find threads regularly about CAI and exhaust to improve performance, which the broad answer is "not so much". You would need to do a lot more to improve flow and increase power than just a CAI. A snorkel also has the extra tube length that will contribute to restriction.

Now, if you do a lot of water fording in your jeep, that is where you want that snorkel. The stock location with the hood contour isn't the best if you like to high speed through water, which a snorkel fixes.
Demp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2013, 11:14 AM   #8
Paio2012
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberpyrot View Post
be carefull Quadratec somtimes is mis informed there is no mention of the 12-13 snorkle on the rugged ridge website they do however have this one

http://www.ruggedridge.com/xhd-low-h...-wrangler.html
Thanks. I checked Rugged ridge site and there is no mention of a 12-13 snorkel!
Unread 02-27-2013, 11:18 AM   #9
MeatCurtains
2012 JK Wrangler 

I thought about putting a snorkel on my Jeep. I know the performance gains or benifits for what I do is probably minimal at best, but there is something about having one that gives me a little peace.

I like the river raider low snorkel, it seems like it would be more or less out of the way.
MeatCurtains is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2013, 11:38 AM   #10
Paio2012
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demp View Post
You will find threads regularly about CAI and exhaust to improve performance, which the broad answer is "not so much". You would need to do a lot more to improve flow and increase power than just a CAI. A snorkel also has the extra tube length that will contribute to restriction.

Now, if you do a lot of water fording in your jeep, that is where you want that snorkel. The stock location with the hood contour isn't the best if you like to high speed through water, which a snorkel fixes.
Thanks. It is summertime in Brazil and the temperature is currently very high. When I open the hood after a ride the temperature is much higher for the obvious reason. I agree on the CAI that does not increase performance as they advertise and I am not interested at all. Looking into snorkels I saw the possibility to have colder air from outside the hood. This is what I am looking for and that is the main reason I am also looking for the low mounts with less tubing and consequently less air restrictions.
Unread 02-27-2013, 11:41 AM   #11
Tanimal
Why are you reading this?

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Thanks. It is summertime in Brazil and the temperature is currently very high. When I open the hood after a ride the temperature is much higher for the obvious reason. I agree on the CAI that does not increase performance as they advertise and I am not interested at all. Looking into snorkels I saw the possibility to have colder air from outside the hood. This is what I am looking for and that is the main reason I am also looking for the low mounts with less tubing and consequently less air restrictions.
Because of your situation I would also suggest taking a look into a hood louver. Sounds like for your situation it would work pretty well with all the heat.
http://shop.poisonspyder.com/Jeep-JK.../17-53-010.htm

-=-CLICK HERE FOR MY XJ BUILD THREAD-=-

Learning as I go and it's worth every penny!
Tanimal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2013, 11:50 AM   #12
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

Running a snorkle with the intent of gaining MPG? No way if any thing it will get less. This has been cited here in many threads. The only reason to run a snorkle is to run deep water, or looks.

Your best bet for MPG. Keep it stock. drive it slow.

I bet its hotter hear in the summer. We have no issues. summer temps are 115-120+( i have seen 126* Our 012 is/has DD and ran 4rated trails out here with the freeking ac on. The cooling system seems to work more than enough, ford has a proving ground to test just see how well things hold up in hell. If it can run here it can run anywhere.
Unread 02-27-2013, 01:56 PM   #13
Paio2012
2012 JK Wrangler 

Agree! Arizona is hotter, hotter than any other place I visited... :-) And I am disappointed... I really thought I could have an improvement on MPG with a low mount snorkel like the river raid one.
Unread 02-27-2013, 02:13 PM   #14
awinski
young & dumb

2012 JK Wrangler 

if you can get one that has less restricted air flow while also getting air from outside the engine bay, this will indeed improve performance. this is why i like the River raider version. the tubing looks nice and wide, id find how it fits, and replace with pvc piping from home depot, this way it insulates the incoming air. most cai's are just ram airs, this is why performance often stay the same, or in some cases even decreases. we had a kid dyno test his cai, 3less hp, teacher told him to copy the design with pvc, +18 hp at the wheels. kinda wish i printed the sheets but it was in class. a week later every honda in the parking lot had pvc cai's lol
Unread 02-28-2013, 03:23 AM   #15
PapasJP
2013 JK Wrangler 

I will be getting the Rugged Ridge as soon as it comes out.

I have been in contact with them and they say about 3 weeks now for the 12-13's.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.