Smoked head & tail lights...pics and procesures - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Smoked head & tail lights...pics and procesures

Gear Packages Available! Your # 1 Diff Shop is ROCKRIDGE 4ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 08-21-2013, 09:11 AM   #31
BlueBabySound
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayder1 View Post
You skipped this part. When researching law, selectiveness leads to being wrong:

A. The United States Department of Transportation specifications and standards for headlamps, auxiliary driving lamps, tail lamps, signal lamps, reflectors, and other lighting equipment and signal devices, pursuant to 49 C.F.R., Section 571.108, are hereby adopted by the State of Oklahoma.

Thanks for the Fed Regs, I always enjoy new info. I didn't however see anything to support your claim or anything about modification as it applies to tint, only modification of the horizontal axis. Could you provide the verbiage from the code or a link to support your claim?

Genuinely interested, not trolling.

Unread 08-21-2013, 09:37 AM   #32
rayder1

No. The safety regulations are thousands of pages. I gave you the Federal Statute FMVSS 108 that describes in technical depth the specific requirements. I also gave you the punitive statute for Oklahoma regarding adopting the Federal Regulations. In California the section is 24002 cvc. Which prohibits the unsafe operation of a motor vehicle component...a catch all. The specific in California is 24252a VC. You need to do your own research. I takes weeks to teach this stuff and years to understand.

Bottom line is: it is illegal in all 50 states to modify lights from stock unless the lights comply with Federal Law.

Now I'm done with this thread.
rayder1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2013, 10:26 AM   #33
BlueBabySound
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayder1 View Post
No. The safety regulations are thousands of pages. I gave you the Federal Statute FMVSS 108 that describes in technical depth the specific requirements. I also gave you the punitive statute for Oklahoma regarding adopting the Federal Regulations. In California the section is 24002 cvc. Which prohibits the unsafe operation of a motor vehicle component...a catch all. The specific in California is 24252a VC. You need to do your own research. I takes weeks to teach this stuff and years to understand.

Bottom line is: it is illegal in all 50 states to modify lights from stock unless the lights comply with Federal Law.

Now I'm done with this thread.
I don't want this to be an internet pissing contest.

I understand you have an educated opinion, but it is still only an opinion until proven. I employee over 18 off duty local police officers in my day job some of whom I enjoy a friendship outside of work, but none could provide me text proving tinting was illegal. Only opinion. The OK law clearly states the specifics of tail light visibility which my personal car meets.

I truly would love for someone to be able to clarify in the federal code where it prohibits tinting as I cannot find it in the research I did with the codes rayder1 provided.

I'll stick with my original assertion that you should do your own research and determine if it is legal in your state. As my opinion will not protect you in court.

Unread 08-21-2013, 12:44 PM   #34
micahwc
2013 JK Wrangler 

What about just smoking the amber colored fog lights on the front? I think they would look a lot better on my black JK.
micahwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2013, 12:54 PM   #35
EndlessMtnRubi

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by micahwc
What about just smoking the amber colored fog lights on the front? I think they would look a lot better on my black JK.
I think the ambers look nice with one coat. Just enough tint. Not a JK but you get the idea.
image-407786538.jpg

EndlessMtnRubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2013, 07:39 PM   #36
ClassicTj
2013 JK Wrangler 

I smoked out the turn signels and tail lights on my old tj. Never had a problem in pa they were pretty dark bit you could still see fine. I did 2 light coats of VHT niteshade
image-3220981731.jpg

image-1415827977.jpg

ClassicTj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2013, 09:21 PM   #37
rayder1

I'm going to admit a partial overstatement on my part. I contacted the motor carrier safety unit in Oklahoma. They stated there is no specific law prohibiting tinted lenses. However it is accepted by courts that tinted lighting devices disrupt minimum photo metric requirements of the lights. You would be hard pressed to find a tint that doesn't, because most stock lights meet minimum standards already. Most officers who are well versed in mechanical violations and FMVSS nomenclature and case law can make a case for a violation of an adopted standard.

The actual wording states (FMVSS 108 S5.1.3) No additional lamp, reflective device or other equipment shall be installed that impairs the effectiveness of lighting equipment required by this chapter.

Understand that this stuff is so far beyond the knowledge of 99% of officers out there...you stand a great chance of never being bothered. Regardless you are cutting into the effectiveness of your lights and real dark tinting is obvious to an officer (well versed in FMVSS requirements or not) making the perception cause for a stop.

I've made a career helping officers make cases and research laws to support their case. Most states specify "no tint" for lenses. At least 27 that I could easily find. However all states adopt Fed regs and the ultimate fall back is the code I mentioned above.

Anyone can read and interpret words to fit their own needs. There are numerous layers to accurate legal research. You start with Federal, State, County Court Decisions and then through various levels of case law as interpreted by municipal, supreme and superior courts. As states face legal challenges and appeals do you find them adopting specific wording to incorporate the law. In my state, tinting lights is specifically prohibited. As well as most of the bordering states. Tinted windows are another issue.

Sorry this is long, but it is a very challenging legal interpretation. Yes...ultimately it seems chicken sh** to get pulled over for it, just don't get pissy. You can probably escape with a good attitude and ignorance. But you can say that it meets the photo metric requirements of FMVSS108 and confuse the heck out of the officer. Though it probably doesn't.
rayder1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2013, 06:49 AM   #38
GeckoFun
2012 JK Wrangler 

Omg a bunch of you need to relax, I didn't smoke , I blacked out my rears and brake but upgraded to LEDs all around and they are much brighter than stock , they were literally blinding without blacking them and I love the look. If you can't see this gecko green monster in front of you, something is seriously wrong with your driving ability and you probably shouldn't be on the road
image-636241288.jpg

image-5727389.jpg

GeckoFun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2013, 03:05 PM   #39
bluerockymtn

Gecko- where did you get your tail lights from? Is the second pic just running light or is that brake light?
bluerockymtn is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.