Smoked head & tail lights...pics and procesures - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Smoked head & tail lights...pics and procesures

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 08-20-2013, 08:47 PM   #16
white_2003
1971 CJ5 

Do you guys have the factory fog lights? I think the stock headlights with fog lights on work great. But I wouldn't tint them, just not my style.

'48 CJ2a currently under construction. (Wedding present)
white_2003 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2013, 09:10 PM   #17
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

Smoked headlights - at least misaimed lights wont blind any one. Especially the dog you just ran over cuz you couldn't see him.
Smoked tails - yea no reason for the guy behind you to see ya until hes closer than he could possibly stop.

But I agree they look COOL.

Wanna know what else looks cool? tie a plastic bag over your head tighten a bungy around you neck and run through the middle of the freeway screaming "hit me if you can".

Can ya tell I don't like folks who dim their required lighting below the legal limits? Dont show me how they look from 10 feet away - thats well withing collision distance. Go to the legal 500ft (1000 in some states) and take a good look! A vehicle with tinted tails sitting disabled in the road is NOT visible from 150 feet away (and the reflectors no longer work if the battery is dead and no lights) - and it takes an average sedan 160ft to stop from 70 mph... a big rig? Whats was that thump? is all the driver would say....

Foggy or rainy days? geeze who wants to live if they cant look cool like Juan with his spray tinted tail lights and picacho dingle balls in the cab...

Cant stand DIMwits... especially the ones who endanger others with their stupidity.

Just because they sel it at AutoZone doesn't make it right! they sell poisonous substances as well - drink some before you tint. PLEASE.
Unread 08-21-2013, 04:06 AM   #18
rayder1

Why anyone would do that is beyond logic. Hey let's knock 100 feet off my down road visibility AND minimize my tail-light visibility at the same time. "Maybe when I smack that road gator at 50 mph that I couldn't see AND someone who can't see my smoked brake lights will rear end me."

No sense and illegal in all 50 states... Just in case getting pulled over for "nothing" concerns you.
rayder1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2013, 04:15 AM   #19
Repauli1
2008 JK Wrangler 

I bought brighter lights, so I can see the "cool" before I hit them??? Don't be a *******!
Unread 08-21-2013, 04:50 AM   #20
rayder1

I strongly suggest 26" rims and low profile tires so you can get the full mall cruiser effect.
Unread 08-21-2013, 07:03 AM   #21
bogleparsons
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayder1 View Post
I strongly suggest 26" rims and low profile tires so you can get the full mall cruiser effect.
Have you considered ground FX light kits?
Unread 08-21-2013, 07:20 AM   #22
EndlessMtnRubi

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Just smoked out my tail lights, 3rd brake, and front blinkers. They came out better than I expected using the spray can. Used some carb cleaner on all the lenses first to get them clean. In my opinion the brake lights are actually brighter now when engaged. Plus they look sick. Not the best pics tho.
image-716545263.jpg

image-777480859.jpg

EndlessMtnRubi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2013, 07:39 AM   #23
rayder1

Don't fool yourself and try to convince us. You put an opaque paint over stock lights. You didn't make anything "look" brighter. You tinted your lights. During my 30 year career as a CHP officer was one of my favorite tickets. Easy to find and write on my way to the bagel shop. Ticket was a free sign off. Fixing the tint cost some $$$.
Unread 08-21-2013, 07:44 AM   #24
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndlessMtnRubi View Post
In my opinion the brake lights are actually brighter now when engaged.
Then in my opinion sunglasses make you see MORE glare because you are truly special. All other humans in the world see LESS light through darker lenses... and you wasted your money because darker was supposed to be the whole point! (and in two years those lenses will be cracked and crazed from the trichlor 111 in the carb cleaner reacting with the polymer bond of the plastic lens)

Park next to a stock JK and both turn on your lights. Walk a 1\4 mile away and compare. 10 ft away does NOT tell crap.
Unread 08-21-2013, 07:57 AM   #25
BlueBabySound
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayder1 View Post
Don't fool yourself and try to convince us. You put an opaque paint over stock lights. You didn't make anything "look" brighter. You tinted your lights. During my 30 year career as a CHP officer was one of my favorite tickets. Easy to find and write on my way to the bagel shop. Ticket was a free sign off. Fixing the tint cost some $$$.
I'm sure all states are different, I researched the law before I applied the tint on my car. It is well within the legal limits in Oklahoma.

Oklahoma law:

1. Shall be mounted on the rear of the vehicle at the same level, as far apart as practicable, and at a height of not more than seventy-two (72) inches nor less than fifteen (15) inches;

2. Shall display a red or amber light, or any shade of color between red and amber, visible from a distance of not less than five hundred (500) feet to the rear in normal sunlight;

http://www.oscn.net/applications/osc...p?CiteID=82386

That being said, I think the Jeep lights barely meet this requirement without anything applied and personally I wouldn't do it on my wrangler without upgrading the tails to a brighter light.

YMMV
Unread 08-21-2013, 08:10 AM   #26
Astennis1
2013 JK Wrangler 

Im plasti dipping my headlights and brake lights....

13 JKUR
Astennis1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2013, 08:17 AM   #27
rayder1

Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Regulation and Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVS 108 ) dictate the lighting requirements of all motor vehicles. States may be more stringent but NOT more lenient towards those regulations. Therefore in 1956, in order to maintain federal highway funding....all 50 states adopted the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Regulations into their punitive laws.

So all 50 states may regulate the application of tinting or the changing of lighting device luminosity. You are neither an engineer capable of determining the minimum luminosity a lighting device nor are most cops so all states wrote into their laws that in order to comply with Federal regulations, modifications of ANY kind to those devices (blue headlights, tint, cats eye lenses etc.) is against the law.

I teach this stuff. Okay? Don't tell me "well... Maybe in your state but not mine...".
B.S. it all depends on whether the officer wants to be bothered or is assigned to enforce those laws. You might pass a patrol car that cannot stop you because he or she is busy or carrying a prisoner....doesn't make speeding suddenly legal.

You want to borrow trouble? This might be the pet peeve of an officer who might just toss in a few other things if you modified them. Second favorite easy to see are mud flap,fender and tire width violations (sticking out from fended) how many of us are borderline here?

So what I am saying is...it may be cool to you....other people may do it and getaway with it but one day.......
Unread 08-21-2013, 08:27 AM   #28
EndlessMtnRubi

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Smoke em if you got em. If you happen to live in an area where local police are so bored they give out tickets for lighting tint, take out the 4 screws and clean the paint off. Problem solved. They look cool and don't detract from visibility much, if any.
EndlessMtnRubi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2013, 08:47 AM   #29
rayder1

Never said they weren't cool looking. But they very much change the safety limits of luminosity.

Just like a 6" lift becomes unsafe. May look cool on some vehicles but at freeway speeds the instability on making evasive maneuvers to avoid trouble become huge.

Every safety modification carry risk. Do it till you get caught or it causes you problems. Real non mall cruisers try and make more light emit from their vehicles. Period
Unread 08-21-2013, 09:02 AM   #30
rayder1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBabySound

I'm sure all states are different, I researched the law before I applied the tint on my car. It is well within the legal limits in Oklahoma.

Oklahoma law:

1. Shall be mounted on the rear of the vehicle at the same level, as far apart as practicable, and at a height of not more than seventy-two (72) inches nor less than fifteen (15) inches;

2. Shall display a red or amber light, or any shade of color between red and amber, visible from a distance of not less than five hundred (500) feet to the rear in normal sunlight;

http://www.oscn.net/applications/osc...p?CiteID=82386

That being said, I think the Jeep lights barely meet this requirement without anything applied and personally I wouldn't do it on my wrangler without upgrading the tails to a brighter light.

YMMV
You skipped this part. When researching law, selectiveness leads to being wrong:

A. The United States Department of Transportation specifications and standards for headlamps, auxiliary driving lamps, tail lamps, signal lamps, reflectors, and other lighting equipment and signal devices, pursuant to 49 C.F.R., Section 571.108, are hereby adopted by the State of Oklahoma.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.