Smittybilt XRC Atlas Rear Bumper - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Smittybilt XRC Atlas Rear Bumper

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 02-27-2013, 04:18 PM   #16
CrawlingForward
Rookies Happen.

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Just took a second look.

Seriously!

Integrated jacking points, hi-lift jack mounting, gas-can mounts, unique latch, storage capability, integrated 2" tow, good departure angle, brake light relocation, d-ring mounts...I am sincerely impressed!

The only thing I can think of that it's missing is an integrated CB mount, and that's a minor thing.

95 YJ, Rio Grande - The Wannabe Sleeper Wheeler
2010 JKU, Islander Edition - The Burly Stock Overlander

- North Shore Jeep Club -
Build/Wheel/Break/Educate/Upgrade/Repeat
CrawlingForward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2013, 12:58 PM   #17
gblock
2013 JK Wrangler 

...and for the curious, here's what it looks like on a JK.

For the curious, just had one installed myself. Really happy, though as others have said in other places about the partial covering of the rear license plate am slightly concerned about getting busted.

Front is an XRC M.O.D, G+ album at plus.google.com
gblock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2013, 07:21 PM   #18
CrawlingForward
Rookies Happen.

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Awesome!

It'll probably be a bit before I can set aside the cash for one, so you'll have to do a follow up report after some abuse!

Unread 09-28-2013, 07:47 PM   #19
Filthy-Beast
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gblock View Post
For the curious, just had one installed myself. Really happy, though as others have said in other places about the partial covering of the rear license plate am slightly concerned about getting busted.
what's in the rear hitch receiver?

For Sale: 2013 4dr JK Painted black Hard Top JKUR 18/59 springs and shocks

97 TJ: daughter 1 - 2.5L, Auto, 2" BB, 31" GY Duratrac
98 TJ: Daugher 2 - 4.0L, 5spd, D44 rear
06 LJ Rubicon: mine - Rokmen full up-armor, 8 adjustable CAs, front bumper, sliders, corners, Shrockworks rear bumper, 3" AEV/BDS lift, Currie HD stearing and Antirock, MT/r - k 35x12.5, SuperWinch, MC Overlines, York OBA
13 JKU Rubicon: Wife's for now, Ace Rock rails & rear bumper tire carrier, Truck Lites, MC Game changer 3.5 lift, RR skids, PSC Brawler front bumper, Warn 9.5cti-s, 35" GY MTRs
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2013, 12:29 PM   #20
rfjeeper

2007 JK Wrangler 

Looked at the front andrear bumpers last weekend at Indy Jamboree,Rubicon Express was there and had both bumpers on it,looks killer but i too am little concerned about blocking part of plates,i really like front bumper too,they finially making bumper that incorporates factory driving lights,i love the MOD bumper except i had to do away with lights and didnt want to lose them
rfjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2013, 07:01 PM   #21
yjjason
X-Y-J-Con

1988 YJ Wrangler 

That's a lot like the one I made for my yj years ago !!!!! Should have copy righted it and the Jerry can tool box I made !!!
Unread 09-30-2013, 03:49 AM   #22
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy-Beast View Post

Id like to know too????
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2013, 01:50 PM   #23
ljvsnyder

i really like the rear bumper. How was the fitment? My side bars had to be drilled out a little to fit. I really like the atlas front bumper as welll.
ljvsnyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2013, 02:43 PM   #24
DangFoo
I Had Bacon Today

2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncb View Post
I'd wait and see it in person. I have found most of their products to be low quality.
True

Quote:
Originally Posted by awinski View Post
everything by smitty is made in china
True

I'm not here to get into a debate or bag on anybody that has and likes their S*ittybilt stuff, so I'll keep it factual and give you my abbreviated 1st-hand experience with my S*ittybilt XRC Rear Bumper + Carrier:

- The handle came off the carrier on mine during a long trip. The handle would never seem to rest fully closed from day one, so I had to use a carabiner [rock climbing clip] as a safeguard from the carrier working its way loose and swinging open on its own.

- Replacement handle from Shi**ybilt took a month to receive, so all the while I'm driving around and having to use pliers every time I want to open the rear carrier.

- The bumpers are made in China and the quality blows ... [#1] I have texture coating that wore off prematurely and [#2] the carrier's swing arm simply does not not line-up with the locking mechanism smoothly; I have to push down on the carrier to secure it each and every time. [#3] I'm far from being the only person that has quality issues with Shi**ybilt; plenty of other folks here at JF have similar stories.

Spend a little extra coin and buy quality. I learned my lesson the hard way and blame my self for not having researched before committing to the XRC bumper on our 2008 JKU. For our 2013 JK, I'll be going with AEV or something else that costs a bit more, but has a proven track record of making solid products. I seriously would not buy another Smitty bumper/carrier if it was 50% off - the product sucks that bad and I will likely replace it some day.
DangFoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2013, 07:15 PM   #25
SilverStreaker
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gblock View Post

Front is an XRC M.O.D, G+ album at plus.google.com
That looks great! I hope to be ordering mine in the next month or so.

My Wife's Jeep - 2007 Grand Cherokee - only mod - K&N Cold Air Intake system
SilverStreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2013, 10:08 AM   #26
gblock
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy-Beast View Post

Sad but true: dog step. I have a basset hound. She's 26 kilos at target weight, so she really needs to get in and out on her own.
Unread 10-02-2013, 10:16 AM   #27
gblock
2013 JK Wrangler 

On quality: I can't speak to the rest of what's out there, but I have no real life issue with the atlas part. The handle is stiff, and doesn't have as smooth an action I'd wish for - but it certainly isn't opening on its own. Given the dog has to get in an out of this thing, the action is getting a lot of use. Good pivot.

The stubby M.O.D. on the front is a much lower quality part, IMO. But its a bumper, and I'm kind of expecting to f*** it up.

I won't be able to gauge reliability for a while. I'll report back.
Unread 10-02-2013, 10:20 AM   #28
rayder1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gblock
I see the plate. Being its California and I worked 30 yrs as a CHP officer...the answer is "maybe" you'll get stopped for the plate. You may want to jury rig the license plate light wiring and run the plate on the swing out. But chances are 90% that most officers will not screw with you because 90% think modded Jeeps are cool. Take your chances the ticket is a free fix-it or at the most $25 to clear it.
rayder1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2013, 07:55 AM   #29
Overdrive
2013 JK Wrangler 

Atlas Rear Bumper Arriving Today

Hey folks! It has been forever since I posted on Jeep Forum. Back in my 04 TJ days I think....

Anyway, I am scheduled to have a new Atlas rear bumper delivered this afternoon and I noticed that no one seems to have a review/install up. Any interest in seeing a detailed install? I plan on install this weekend.
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2013, 08:00 AM   #30
CrawlingForward
Rookies Happen.

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdrive View Post
Hey folks! It has been forever since I posted on Jeep Forum. Back in my 04 TJ days I think....

Anyway, I am scheduled to have a new Atlas rear bumper delivered this afternoon and I noticed that no one seems to have a review/install up. Any interest in seeing a detailed install? I plan on install this weekend.
Yes, please!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.