Smittybilt 76896 XRC Atlas Rear Bumper Install and Review - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Smittybilt 76896 XRC Atlas Rear Bumper Install and Review

New Vendor - ARTEC Industries Battery MountsComplete Axle Options Expanded !!!! ECGSNEW Smittybilt Gen 2 9.5 winch at JeepHut.com

Unread 05-07-2014, 11:57 AM   #61
hingedthinker

Loosen the 4 bolts that attach the latch mechanism to the tire swing rail. Use 2 levers to push the latch towards the bumper while re-tightening the bolts.

If that doesn't work, I suggest you call Smitybilt.

HT

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3rmond View Post
Hi, my first post on this forum for the typical call for help.

I am a happy new Jeep wrangler JK Mountain owner and I got it fitted with the front and rear smittybilt Atlas.

The latch is a pain in the *** and after just 10-15 times I cant simply open it with my bare hands. The lever won't move the mechanism enough to disengage the latch and open.

I have to use an iron bar to probe into the space and push the mechanism down in order to open the whole thing and access the car tailgate.

I know somebody hinted about that in this very thread. Could someone please tell me how can I adjust the latch mechanism so I can again open it by simply pulling the lever up as it should be?

The whole product is awesome and super sturdy, but the latch, to my newbie eyes, is crap.

hingedthinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2014, 07:39 AM   #62
d3rmond

Thanks a bunch! I just did that and it works. The weakest point in an otherwise nice product.

Thanks again, bud.
d3rmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2014, 07:48 PM   #63
RECTEX

Forgive me for necroposting but I am eyeballing this bumper combo and had a quick question for which I haven't been able to find an answer yet.

You mention that multiple wheel bolt patterns are accommodated, is 8 on 6.5 one of them? If not does it look like there's room to drill for said pattern?

Thanks a bunch.
RECTEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 07:18 PM   #64
LeighP
2013 JK Wrangler 

I have this bumper...just in the process of sorting it out to fit.....I laid my wheel PCD gauge over the holes and there appears to be two patterns....a "Y" in 5x5 and an "inverted Y" in 5 x 5.5. I'm not sure an 8 x 6.5 would fit.....I have the parts on my bench at home, I'll take a happy snap for you tonight with and without the wheel PCD gauge so you can see for yourself.
LeighP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Today, 03:34 AM   #65
LeighP
2013 JK Wrangler 

OK...heres the pics.....

5 x 5" PCD

5 x 5.5" PCD

Bare

I think your best bet would be to make a round plate to hold the 8 x 6.5" PCD studs, and then drill it to suit the 5 x 5" PCD holes and bolt it to the carrier.
LeighP is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.