Smittybilt 76896 XRC Atlas Rear Bumper Install and Review - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Smittybilt 76896 XRC Atlas Rear Bumper Install and Review

ARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan KitsSmittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 05-07-2014, 12:57 PM   #61
hingedthinker

Loosen the 4 bolts that attach the latch mechanism to the tire swing rail. Use 2 levers to push the latch towards the bumper while re-tightening the bolts.

If that doesn't work, I suggest you call Smitybilt.

HT

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3rmond View Post
Hi, my first post on this forum for the typical call for help.

I am a happy new Jeep wrangler JK Mountain owner and I got it fitted with the front and rear smittybilt Atlas.

The latch is a pain in the *** and after just 10-15 times I cant simply open it with my bare hands. The lever won't move the mechanism enough to disengage the latch and open.

I have to use an iron bar to probe into the space and push the mechanism down in order to open the whole thing and access the car tailgate.

I know somebody hinted about that in this very thread. Could someone please tell me how can I adjust the latch mechanism so I can again open it by simply pulling the lever up as it should be?

The whole product is awesome and super sturdy, but the latch, to my newbie eyes, is crap.

hingedthinker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2014, 08:39 AM   #62
d3rmond

Thanks a bunch! I just did that and it works. The weakest point in an otherwise nice product.

Thanks again, bud.
d3rmond is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2014, 08:48 PM   #63
RECTEX

Forgive me for necroposting but I am eyeballing this bumper combo and had a quick question for which I haven't been able to find an answer yet.

You mention that multiple wheel bolt patterns are accommodated, is 8 on 6.5 one of them? If not does it look like there's room to drill for said pattern?

Thanks a bunch.
RECTEX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2014, 08:18 PM   #64
LeighP
2013 JK Wrangler 

I have this bumper...just in the process of sorting it out to fit.....I laid my wheel PCD gauge over the holes and there appears to be two patterns....a "Y" in 5x5 and an "inverted Y" in 5 x 5.5. I'm not sure an 8 x 6.5 would fit.....I have the parts on my bench at home, I'll take a happy snap for you tonight with and without the wheel PCD gauge so you can see for yourself.
LeighP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2014, 04:34 AM   #65
LeighP
2013 JK Wrangler 

OK...heres the pics.....

5 x 5" PCD

5 x 5.5" PCD

Bare

I think your best bet would be to make a round plate to hold the 8 x 6.5" PCD studs, and then drill it to suit the 5 x 5" PCD holes and bolt it to the carrier.
Unread 09-23-2014, 04:55 PM   #66
RECTEX

Thanks so much for taking the time. I'll have to take some measurements of my wheels to see if I can get away with drilling a couple holes on the lower corners of the mount. If not I'll have to get my local guys to fab a plate for me.

Again, thanks. Really appreciated.
Unread 09-23-2014, 05:45 PM   #67
RECTEX

Damn, after some measuring and calculating(LOL)... I wouldn't be able to swing it. Even with half inch studs I'd be way to close to the edge of the plate for comfort. Looks like a thick adapter plate will have to be fabbed. If only the smittybilt mount was 3/4 of an inch wider.

I think, though, that If I bolted a plate to the smittybilt mount surface that those bolt heads might interfere with my wheel sitting flush against it. I could be wrong, I'm all in my head right now. Will be something to think on.
Unread 09-25-2014, 01:39 PM   #68
LeighP
2013 JK Wrangler 

Yeah, I thought you'd have to space the plate off the carrier (for the heads of the wheel studs) and maybe use some high tensile countersunk bolts to bolt the plate to the carrier....to leave a flat surface.
Unread 09-26-2014, 10:17 AM   #69
hingedthinker

So now that we've had the bumper for several months now I thought I'd share a few comments.

1.) If you put full jerry cans on the bumper AFTER you set the height, you will be in for a surprise when you try to close it. The extra weight causes (basic physics) too much leverage and the arm is no longer properly lined up. I now have a scratched up bumper.
2.) Rust - any dings or nicks damage the power coat fairly easily and start to rust.
3.) On a positive note, the latch still works and didn't have to be adjusted again. I don't know how, because it makes a horrible noise when you slam it shut (required). I added foam bumpers because the rubber ones that came with the bumper lasted about a week before they fell off.
Unread 09-26-2014, 01:43 PM   #70
BaddAndy
2013 JK Wrangler 

Has anyone noticed increased cowl shake since install?
Unread 09-26-2014, 09:22 PM   #71
RECTEX

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaddAndy View Post
Has anyone noticed increased cowl shake since install?
Elaborate?
Unread 09-27-2014, 08:30 AM   #72
LeighP
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hingedthinker View Post
So now that we've had the bumper for several months now I thought I'd share a few comments.

1.) If you put full jerry cans on the bumper AFTER you set the height, you will be in for a surprise when you try to close it. The extra weight causes (basic physics) too much leverage and the arm is no longer properly lined up. I now have a scratched up bumper.
2.) Rust - any dings or nicks damage the power coat fairly easily and start to rust.
3.) On a positive note, the latch still works and didn't have to be adjusted again. I don't know how, because it makes a horrible noise when you slam it shut (required). I added foam bumpers because the rubber ones that came with the bumper lasted about a week before they fell off.
Note to self - fill two Jerry cans BEFORE adjusting the swing arm.
Thanks for the heads up!
Unread 09-28-2014, 12:23 AM   #73
LeighP
2013 JK Wrangler 

I wasn't happy with how the carrier obscures part of the licence plate....the cops are big on ticketing obscured plates around here.
I had a local engineering shop mod the bar on the left side so it'll clear the plate when viewed from behind. I managed to pretty much match the wrinkle finish powdercoat using VHT wrinkle black paint, and a heat gun to bring the wrinkles out consistently over the modded area.

Before

After

The VHT finish....very close to the factory powdercoat.

Unread 09-29-2014, 12:25 PM   #74
hingedthinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeighP View Post
I wasn't happy with how the carrier obscures part of the licence plate....the cops are big on ticketing obscured plates around here.
I had a local engineering shop mod the bar on the left side so it'll clear the plate when viewed from behind. I managed to pretty much match the wrinkle finish powdercoat using VHT wrinkle black paint, and a heat gun to bring the wrinkles out consistently over the modded area.
VERY nice work on the mod! I haven't had any issues here in the Phoenix / Arizona area. Had many cops next to and behind me.
Unread 09-29-2014, 02:30 PM   #75
RECTEX

Very nice. You'd kinda tthink the smittybilt people would have had the foresight to design that mod into the product. I'm looking forward to having a bumper/tire carrier that meets my needs at this price point. Holds a 40 and cans/pax and actually is a bumper.

I would love to buy something that meets the criteria and is domestically produced but the cost of my axles put a big enough dent in my finances.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.