Smittybilt 76896 XRC Atlas Rear Bumper Install and Review - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Smittybilt 76896 XRC Atlas Rear Bumper Install and Review

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 03-16-2014, 02:05 PM   #46
okeedoky0
2012 JK Wrangler 

Here are a few pics of my Smittybilt Atlas bumper and tire carrier. I will post more as I take them.
A few things I noticed on the install were:
1. I had to enlarge the bolt hole on the drivers side frame rail to get the bolt to line up with the receiving nut on the frame bracket.
2. I had to grind out the powder coating in the bottom hole for the tire carrier pin in order for it to seat all the way down.
3. If you dont have a press then you will need a vise to hold the tire carrier bracket so you can get the tire studs in the holes by threading a nut on and tightening it up.
4. The latch will more than likely not work from the factory and you will need to loosen the 4 bolts and slide it forward as far as it will go.
5. I had to add a washer to the latch stud in order for the latch to catch it correctly.
6. If you are going to use the 3rd brake light assembly you will have to reroute your wiring and add some length to it. To do it right you will need to drill a hole in the tire carrier arm and fish the wires through.
7. Not sure how to cover the hole in the tailgate left by the original 3rd brake light wiring yet. Any suggestions?
8. Instructions from Smittybilt suck and they may provide you with some extra parts. Be prepared for the part numbers in the instructions to be different than the ones on the seperate bags.....
9. A 315/70/17 tire mounted on a rim is heavy to lift almost above your head.....

With that said, I am very happy with the outcome and I should be used to things not going as they should at the age of 43 ... but I am not.
If anyone receives this kit and does not receive the directions I will be scanning them in and posting them in a seperate post titled Smittybilt Atlas 76896.
I also may get ambitious and get some detailed pics so I can create a write up for the install.

smittybilt-atlas-install-1.jpg   smittybilt-atlas-install-2.jpg   smittybilt-atlas-install-3.jpg   smittybilt-atlas-install-4.jpg   smittybilt-atlas-bumper-box-1.jpg  

smittybilt-atlas-tire-carrier-box-3.jpg  
okeedoky0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2014, 09:36 PM   #47
2013JK4Rubicon

2013 JK Wrangler 

My ATLAS tire carrier is a rattle trap... What else did you do to quiet yours down please???
2013 10A JKU ANVIL - Metal Cloak (MC) GC & 6-Pak shocks, MC Overland innner & outer Fenders, rock sliders and lower body armor,5:13's, ARTEC Axle Truss, 3 piston SS calipers,Tom Woods 1310 shafts, MT 37" ATZ-P3's, SPOD, Genisis Dual Battery Holder & Isolator w/ dual Optima's, Warn 9.5 CTI-S & Pro Link, ARB CKMTA12 w/ CMM ARB Compressor Underseat Mount, Rigid Industries 40" E-2, 2-SRQ's out back, 4-D2 drivers up front, XRC Atlas rear bumper and tire carrier, GOBI Rack, Truck Vault w/110V power inverter & ARB 50QT
2013JK4Rubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2014, 05:16 PM   #48
okeedoky0
2012 JK Wrangler 

I have not had to do anything to it yet and it is solid. I di not have any cans mounted yet but as long as the straps are tight that should not cause any rattles. I also have my hi-lift jack mounted to my roll bar inside and it does rattle a bit on the bigger obsticles but other than that I dont know what is causing your rattles...
Unread 03-24-2014, 10:29 PM   #49
BaddAndy
2013 JK Wrangler 

Mud flaps-when there's a will, there's a way. I'm surprized it was doeable. I cut a v-notch out between the middle screws and used a heat gun to bend the part in that fits the flare and to have the flap angle back some. I still need to cut a filler piece from the stock bumper to fill the gap.
snowman-033.jpg   snowman-022.jpg   snowman-021.jpg   snowman-025.jpg  
Unread 03-25-2014, 10:24 PM   #50
BaddAndy
2013 JK Wrangler 

Filler panel makes it look so much better. I never read that the bumper alone precludes use of the stock tire carrier, so until one falls in my lap for cheap, I hacked a relief for my tire. Ran out of daylite, so will weld it back up Saturday.
snowman-040.jpg   snowman-034.jpg   snowman-037.jpg   snowman-039.jpg  
Unread 03-27-2014, 09:42 AM   #51
hingedthinker

why didn't you buy the tire carrier instead of hacking your bumper?

BTW, mine does not rattle. You have to make sure the latch is adjusted properly to fully engage both stages of the latch.
hingedthinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2014, 11:55 AM   #52
BaddAndy
2013 JK Wrangler 

I can't afford $1,000 for a bumper combo. Got this for $100. Hacking will allow using stock carrier until another deal of the century falls into my lap for the tire/can carrier. That, and it's a lot easier now to stand on the bumper to reach the rack, and it's not costing me one penny nor any strength in the bumper.
snowman-050.jpg  
Unread 04-17-2014, 08:33 AM   #53
ragufireman
2007 JK Wrangler 

Now that I have it installed

Just got my bumper installed last night looks awesome. How did you guys wire the third brake light in? I was looking at running it through the tire swing. Is there any place to buy a kit for it?

Thanks
jk2.jpg  
ragufireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2014, 11:28 AM   #54
hingedthinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragufireman View Post
Just got my bumper installed last night looks awesome. How did you guys wire the third brake light in? I was looking at running it through the tire swing. Is there any place to buy a kit for it?

Thanks
I considered drilling a hole to run the wire through the tube, but decided it wasn't worth it. I just zip tied it and ran the wire in through the rubber seal on the bottom right of the door, behind the plastic cover and back to the original connector.
Unread 04-19-2014, 08:08 AM   #55
okeedoky0
2012 JK Wrangler 

I have not hooked mine back up yet. Going to run the wire out by the hinge on the tailgate and through the carrier though. I think that will be the cleanest look. There is already a hole coming out of the top of the tube just under where the brake light bracket mounts. Will have to drill a hole at the tubing by the pivot point of the arm.

I did have some trouble with the first stage of the latch coming undone when I had the tire mounted so I have been running around town with the tire off. It has not come undone since I removed the tire from the carrier (2 weeks). I think I had the tire mounted too far away and bumps in the road were causing it to bounce around quite a bit making the latch come undone. I have now moved the carrier brackets a bit closer to the tailgate and will remount the tire. Hopefully that solves it. To be clear the catch is a 2 stage catch and it never did come completely undone so the tire would swing out. It only released the first stage. Still annoying...
Unread 04-20-2014, 09:15 AM   #56
hingedthinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by okeedoky0 View Post
I have not hooked mine back up yet. Going to run the wire out by the hinge on the tailgate and through the carrier though. I think that will be the cleanest look. There is already a hole coming out of the top of the tube just under where the brake light bracket mounts. Will have to drill a hole at the tubing by the pivot point of the arm.

I did have some trouble with the first stage of the latch coming undone when I had the tire mounted so I have been running around town with the tire off. It has not come undone since I removed the tire from the carrier (2 weeks). I think I had the tire mounted too far away and bumps in the road were causing it to bounce around quite a bit making the latch come undone. I have now moved the carrier brackets a bit closer to the tailgate and will remount the tire. Hopefully that solves it. To be clear the catch is a 2 stage catch and it never did come completely undone so the tire would swing out. It only released the first stage. Still annoying...
have you adjusted the latch as discussed earlier in the thread? Mine was doing the same until I adjusted the latch forward on the carrier.
Unread 04-20-2014, 10:26 AM   #57
okeedoky0
2012 JK Wrangler 

Yes. I adjusted the latch using your earlier thread. I could not get it to stay latched at all prior to my initial adjustments.
Unread 04-22-2014, 06:37 AM   #58
JCMILLER

2010 JK Wrangler 

I installed the Atlas bumpers on my 2010 JK and I love them. It took my wife and I about 3 1/2 hours for the rear bumper and 2 1/2 hours for the front. Everything lined up pretty well. I have yet to mount and rewire the brake light over the spare tire and I may just leave it off. Mine locks up pretty snug with no rattles, so far. It's been on since December.
JCMILLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2014, 06:16 PM   #59
okeedoky0
2012 JK Wrangler 

Posting a few more pics of the bumper / tire carrier. Will be putting the tire back on this weekend to see how the latch handles. I adjusted the tire mounting bracket closer to the tailgate because I think the tire was hanging out too far away from the carrier. If you look at the side view pic it has about 2 inches of space between the carrier and the tire. Hopefully resting the tire against the carrier arm will reduce the wobbling of the tire and keep the latch from coming undone. If not I will try the latch mechanism again.

I also placed an order for the Smittybilt Atlas front bumper and Smittybilt XRC-9.5K WINCH W/ SYN ROPE. Bumper is of course on backorder but my customer service gal tells me its only a couple of weeks out.

Anyone know what the OEM front and rear bumpers are reselling for or if they will be easy to get rid of? They are in excellent condition. Plan on putting them on Craigslist locally since I dont want to have to pay to ship them.

sb-tire-carrier-1.jpg
jk-rear-pass-side.jpg
sb-tire-carrier-2.jpg
Unread 05-06-2014, 09:24 AM   #60
d3rmond

Problem with my smittybilt Atlas latch

Hi, my first post on this forum for the typical call for help.

I am a happy new Jeep wrangler JK Mountain owner and I got it fitted with the front and rear smittybilt Atlas.

The latch is a pain in the *** and after just 10-15 times I cant simply open it with my bare hands. The lever won't move the mechanism enough to disengage the latch and open.

I have to use an iron bar to probe into the space and push the mechanism down in order to open the whole thing and access the car tailgate.

I know somebody hinted about that in this very thread. Could someone please tell me how can I adjust the latch mechanism so I can again open it by simply pulling the lever up as it should be?

The whole product is awesome and super sturdy, but the latch, to my newbie eyes, is crap.
d3rmond is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.