Smittybilt 76896 XRC Atlas Rear Bumper Install and Review - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Smittybilt 76896 XRC Atlas Rear Bumper Install and Review

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-01-2013, 05:22 PM   #31
gijoeyb
2010 JK Wrangler 

Nicely done. What are the chances that the Bestop HighRock 4X4 Tailgate Rack would work with the Atlas?

b4141101_2_1000.jpg  
gijoeyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2013, 09:19 AM   #32
Overdrive
2013 JK Wrangler 

No idea gijoeyb if it will work with that rack. Let me know what measurements you need from the Atlas and I will try to get back to you.

Quick update after big wheeling and camping outing. Bumper did well. Towing worked well however the holes for the safety chains are a little difficult to get chain S-hooks hitched up. Might post a pic later showing the issue.

Had some creaking from the trailer hitch (weight distro) after a couple of hours of towing up the mountains. That night, checked mount bolts and a few of them were not torqued down. Very difficult, for ANY bumper, to get a torque wrench on the bolts so I just umphed' it tight on all the mounting bolts. Had no further creaking for the rest of the trip.

Last edited by Overdrive; 12-02-2013 at 09:22 AM.. Reason: Added Trip Towing items
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2013, 03:30 PM   #33
715racing
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Great write-up! After you touch up that "rusty" spot, have you thought about using some black seamsealer/silicone to fill the gap?
Unread 12-03-2013, 02:37 PM   #34
bmf1419
2010 JK Wrangler 

Awesome job! Wish I went with the Atlas instead of the regular XRC with tire carrier.
bmf1419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2013, 06:09 PM   #35
gblock
2013 JK Wrangler 

Have to say that I, too, am really loving the XRC Atlas. The only problem I've had so far is that opening the latch has a problem about 3/4 of the time where the first time you try to open it doesn't catch properly; makes opening the back a real chore. Not sure what the cause is yet.

That's it, my only complaint in the last 3 months of use.
gblock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2014, 01:31 PM   #36
hingedthinker

Hello All-

This is my first post. I read this review and because of the review I decided to purchase the Atlas rear bumper and tire carrier. I just finished the install. As noted in the review, the fit and finish / quality of the powder coat is great. All the hardware was included. The carrier swingarm sleeve is difficult to install, but I had my wife help me while she whacked the pivot with a rubber mallet. got it on the 5th try.

I have only one major problem. I had to use 2 washers like you did for the latch pin. But, the latch will not securely close. I can slam it and it will still not close tightly against the rubber posts. If I wiggle it, the latch will come loose. Did you have this problem?

BTW, it appears to be perfectly aligned... I adjusted it with the cam.
hingedthinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2014, 01:34 PM   #37
hingedthinker

Also, I'd like to give MAJOR KUDOS to Matt at mudflaps.com. There was a mixup on my order and Matt was great with comms and taking care of business. A+++ customer service.
Unread 02-15-2014, 04:35 PM   #38
hingedthinker

OK. I am seriously frustrated and a bit torqued. The latch on the Atlas Rear bumper is garbage. I can pull on it moderately and it will open. No way it will stay closed / latched on washboard much less a real trail. JUNK. Smittybilt better answer the phone on Monday and have a good solution. I just spent another hour and half trying to adjust it to no avail.
Unread 02-20-2014, 05:59 AM   #39
task82

Hi all, recently fitted the Atlas bars to my JK. I'm pretty happy with mine, my only complaint is the latch system as well. I've adjusted the cam properly, however the tyre carrier rattles pretty loudly when I hit any kind of bump on the road and it is pretty bloody frustrating!! JK is currently at the dealership getting some warranty work done on it. It's interesting what you say about the tyre carrier not touching the two rubber posts, the company that sold me the bar recommended I check this as it could be the cause for the rattling. On a positive, I did not require any washers to adjust the locking pin.

Keep us posted with your progress hingedthinker!!
task82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2014, 07:25 AM   #40
hingedthinker

So, I called Smittybilt. The guy I talked to said to adjust the latch. I did and now it works. This is partially my fault, and partially Smittybilt. I had looked at the latch to see if I could adjust it and it looked as close as possible to the pin. I was wrong. So, no rattles and it now fully engages both stages of the latch.

Other than the latch problem that I believe should have been set correctly from the factory... it is a great product. The only blemish in an otherwise excellent powder coat finish was in a crook of the hitch (right side). Thanks to all for the help.
Unread 02-21-2014, 07:31 AM   #41
hingedthinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gijoeyb View Post
Nicely done. What are the chances that the Bestop HighRock 4X4 Tailgate Rack would work with the Atlas?
I have the atlas bumper and this appears that it would work fine. The only issue may be if you put jerry cans in. Will the space be enough to clear? I don't have cans yet, otherwise I would measure for you.
Unread 02-21-2014, 10:49 PM   #42
darkknight1999
Aut Vincere Aut Mori

2007 JK Wrangler 

Nice write up!

"So yeah... if you're not going to do a job right, either because you're just to damn lazy or you're don't know how... then yeah, don't touch it, because then someone has to clean up the freaking mess you made." - ME!

KCCO
darkknight1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2014, 11:09 AM   #43
okeedoky0
2012 JK Wrangler 

Atlas bumper latch

I just finished installing the Atlas bumper and tire carrier on my 2012 JK and am having the same issues with the locking mechanism. Can anyone explain or show some pics of how and what were adjusted on the latch? I can get it to latch on the first stage but then if I lightly bump the tire carrier it comes undone. It will not engage the 2nd stage of the latch at all. I have added a washer to the latch post just to be sure it is not hitting the end of the post and it is dead center.
okeedoky0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2014, 11:54 AM   #44
hingedthinker

If anyone else is having problems getting it to latch to the second stage, loosen the 4 bolts on the latch mechanism and use a lever of some sort to jam it forward while you re-torque the bolts. Worked for me. You do have to slam it pretty good to get it to close with a satisfying and slightly scary "thunk" but it works.
Unread 03-15-2014, 06:54 PM   #45
okeedoky0
2012 JK Wrangler 

I used the method that hingedthinker posted and it works like a charm. Takes 2 minutes to fix. I can hang on to the tire carrier and pull with all of my weight now and it does not move. Thanks a bunch for your help hingedthinker! I will be posting a few pics of the new bumper setup for all to see. If anyone has any questions feel free to ask. The instructions are crap.
okeedoky0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.