Smittybilt 76896 XRC Atlas Rear Bumper Install and Review - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Smittybilt 76896 XRC Atlas Rear Bumper Install and Review

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippRCI FUEL CELL BRACKET - Perfect for the back of your JeepARTEC LABOR DAY SALE - 15% off

Unread 10-12-2013, 07:51 AM   #16
Overdrive
2013 JK Wrangler 

Bumpstops and snugness

Installed the factory bumpstops onto the tailgate. They press against the Rotopax nice and snug. May trim them down just a bit but will wait and see how it goes over time.

Now the CB mount no longer touches the Rotopax. Will keep my eye on this to see if I can get away with leaving it.

Swing arm seems to be latching better and better with more weight added to it (makes sense). With everything closed up and latched the setup is VERY snug and secure. The spare tire is solid with no rattling and there are no squeeks or free play when I grab the swing arm and rock it with both hands. Solid! Much less play, if any, than I had with the previous Bestop bumper/swing arm combo.

Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2013, 08:40 AM   #17
BlueBabySound
2014 JK Wrangler 

Great write up. Thanks!
Unread 10-14-2013, 09:21 AM   #18
Overdrive
2013 JK Wrangler 

Install Summary

Install summary of the Smittybilt XRC Atlas rear bumper (76896).

I am calling it done on the install of the rear bumper. Other than some shackles this was my first Smittybilt product for my Jeep. I am giving a thumbs up to the install and the bumper. There were a couple of issues (and mistakes on my part) and a couple of things I would have liked the bumper to have but overall the cost and quality are pretty good. I didn't realize the magnitude of impressions out there about Smittybilt products so I went into this project with no preconceived notions of what I was getting into but I was a little concerned based on other posts.

The Atlas was well packaged with no shipping damage, no missing parts, and good instructions. The finish appears to be of good quality. I have had a few past homemade projects powdercoated before and the finish on the Atlas is just as good.

The overall setup does not look as bulky in person as some pictures I have seen. The design is the minimum distances required to add the can storage racks which I hope you can see in some of the pics I have posted.

I think Smittybilt did a good job. The bumper looks good and will allow me to carry the spare as well as four 2 gallon Rotopax and my Hi-lift. I will follow-up after a while to see how it holds up.

I am planning a Jeep run in the next week or so and will report back trail usage as well as towing results.

Summary of Issues
1. Bumper to chassis: Hard to start driver's side bumper frame bolts (clanging against crossmember and hitch of bumper). - This may not be a "Smittybilt issue" with all the variation in JK frame specs. Might be nice to have a little more adjustment possible in the bumper mounting holes. The L brackets have lots of room to move around but the holes in the bumper are what limits adjustment (in my case anyway).

2. Swing Arm stainless steel washer under arm wouldn't fit. Powder coat needs to be sanded away for washer to fit. I should have done this but didn't. It would have been nice to have this already done before shipping but I can see the argument either way. I will check back in later as I will try to unmounts the swing arm later and get the washer in there.

3. Swing Arm latch bolt: had to add a couple additional washers than what was provided with the bumper so the latch would close properly. I am going to put this down as another very minor, part of install/fitment.

4. The swing arm tube blocks the last two digits on the license plate. I will take a couple of pics of this after I get the Jeep washed up.

Wish List (changes to design)
1. Zerk: Add a grease fitting to the swing arm pivot. Initial install has you coat the components with grease but I don't see any way to keep them lubed up after install. Of course adding a fitting would also require changes to allow the grease to flow where it needs to. I will keep my eye on this and report back after some time on how this is holding up.

2. Hold open stop: The swing arm can open well past the 90 degree mark. In off-camber or parking lot situations it would be nice to have a hold/lock open feature to prevent it slamming back into the Jeep, a person, or the car next to you. I already have plans to add a 1/2" spring pin stop I picked up on Saturday at some point.

3. Wiring routing: I have two rear lights as well as the 3rd brake light. The wiring has to be zip-tied to the swing arm. I am thinking about drilling some holes in the tubing and fishing the wire into the bumper at some point. this is a VERY picky wish item but I figured I would include it anyway.

Recommendations on install

1. Put the little bumpstop into the bumper BEFORE you do anything else. The instructions have you do this after the bumper is mounted to the Jeep. Problem is the stop required you to pull it from the backside of the bumper which you cannot get to once its on the Jeep. I may be not getting how to install this little rubber thingy but that is my advise.

2. Plan on and take plenty of time on the swing arm install to the bumper. Check the washer fitment as well as making sure the pivot pin is installed all the way into the bumper. And relax and spend some time zeroing in the swing arm adjustment it is worth the effort and will give you a nice smooth latching and release. I set mine up with just a hint of up tension.

Final Adjustments
After finishing up wiring up the 3rd brake light and the two LED rear flood lights I went over the setup and made some adjustments.

I didn't like the Hi-Lift sitting in a vertical position so I flipped the 3rd brake bracket (the base part) around and moved the jack mounts more horizontal. The nice thing is that you have a few options on how you mount your jack.

I also cut 1/4" of rubber off the stock bumpstops so they wouldn't push so hard into the Rotopax containers. This may not have been necessary but I did it anyway.

I kept my Rugged Ridge CB antenna mount on the tailgate. It just clears one of the Rotopax cans. I will watch this report back.

The BIG item for final adjustment was the swing arm pivot. Following the instructions I took my time to adjust the angle on the arm and it worked well. The arm now closes smoothly and latches very well. It also releases a lot smoother now that I dialed it in.

I hope this report is helpful!

Thanks for reading
Unread 10-14-2013, 07:40 PM   #19
Overdrive
2013 JK Wrangler 

Final Pictures

half of 6th and 7th digit of license plate blocked from dead behind. looking from driver's side you can see all but the edge of 7th.

Swing arm fully open

Side profile

Unread 10-15-2013, 11:19 AM   #20
Tornado
2008 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the write-up and please keep us posted on your thoughts on this bumper.

I definitely need to get my spare off of the stock carrier and really like the looks of this bumper and carrier, also like the gas can and hi-lift carrying capabilities.

I just don't like any of the previous things I have read about Smittybilt.

Would like to know how this thing holds up and if it rattles or any other developments (good and bad).

It looks great!

Thanks again.
Tornado is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2013, 05:58 PM   #21
Spencer4336

Is it only me that can't see the pics they blue question marks. I tried on my phone and computer and it would not work.
Spencer4336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2013, 06:41 PM   #22
WhiteRavenRR
2007 JK Wrangler 

The pics were working but not now for some reason.
WhiteRavenRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2013, 06:51 PM   #23
Spencer4336

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteRavenRR View Post
Hmmm idk why they would not work I was so excited to see this thread because I am about to place my order for one and now I can't see it
Unread 10-23-2013, 07:02 PM   #24
WhiteRavenRR
2007 JK Wrangler 

We'll it did look good from what I saw of it. I like the looks of it but I personally like the tire carrier attached to the tailgate. But that's me.
Unread 10-23-2013, 07:27 PM   #25
Spencer4336

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteRavenRR View Post
Hey man is there any way you could email me some pics of your bumper and one from the side because I have not seen a pic of this bumper from the side anywhere.

It would be much appreciated.
My email is spencerm528@gmail.com
Unread 10-24-2013, 06:47 AM   #26
WhiteRavenRR
2007 JK Wrangler 

I'm not the one with the bumper. Send a private message to the OP and maybe they can help you out.
Unread 10-24-2013, 08:04 AM   #27
Overdrive
2013 JK Wrangler 

Pics working again

Pics should be working again...

I posted one side pick previously. let me know if you want some more.

So far zero rattles from the bumper. I live on a dirt road so it is getting some use over bumps. The first big off-road trip is planned for Veteran's Day weekend with some trail riding as well as towing my small travel trailer (340lb tongue and 2700lb total weight) so I will report back after that.

I am VERY picky on details with my junk so one item I did notice when I washed the Jeep for the last round of pics was a small amount of rusty water drops from one of the seams on the swing arm. A little touch-up paint should take care of it. Will take a pic to show the spot. Otherwise everything is holding up great.

I test fit an old NATO jerry can on the bumper and it fit just fine. Switching out the Rotopax with Milspec water and fuel cans so will post pics of that as well. Rotopax will go on my trailer.

Also picked up a spare tire Rotopax mount that I am going to fab up a bracket for a Hummer pioneer tool rack.

Just and FYI I am also switching out my rear springs for OME Heavies this weekend with all the additional weight and towing. During towing I will be unloading the tire carrier and putting the gear in the trailer for weight distribution purposes so I don't overload the rear end.

Unread 10-24-2013, 09:51 AM   #28
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Somehow I missed this thread in the beginning but now that Iím seeing it for the first time I do have to say nice write-up and pics. I was observing the welds on that bumper (habit of mine) and they look really nice. Anyhow overall itís a nice looking bumper with plenty of options for adding containers and whatnot.
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2013, 11:13 AM   #29
Overdrive
2013 JK Wrangler 

Update

Milspec water can replaced 2 Rotopax. Fits nice and snug. I cut about 8 to 10 inches off the can straps that come with the bumper and singed the ends. I think it was a good idea to cut 1/4" off the stock bumpstops so they don't press too hard into the cans.

So far I have verified that Two Rotopax, a Nato 20L metal jerry can, and Milspec 5 gallon water can fit just fine in the swing arm can mount.

Water can comes very close to my CB mount.

NOTE: Another picky item here with the supplied straps. You have to completely remove the strap from the buckle and lower mount to get the can in or out. A quick disconnecting buckle would make this easier. You have to lift the can up a bit to get the strap in and around the lower mount. Again, very minor. Might look for a replacement quick disco strap.

Here is a pic of the seam that needs a touch-up of paint (missed powder coat). Very small joint. I think I am being picky but thought it was worth showing. A little dab of paint should fix it.

Unread 10-24-2013, 02:25 PM   #30
Spencer4336

All of the pics are working now thanks for fixing them and I ordered my bumper a couple hours ago I will get it in a few weeks.

Thanks for fixing the pictures and keeping us informed.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.