Slow wobble during u-turn on pavement while in 4x4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Slow wobble during u-turn on pavement while in 4x4

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 07-21-2010, 09:16 AM   #1
cadeddie
2008 JK Wrangler 

Slow wobble during u-turn on pavement while in 4x4

ok took my 2008 JKU for some light offroading in the sand this weekend for the first time...(with 35")
I was driving thru some sand and jumped on a paved road really quick to do a turnaround (u-turn)...while doing this turnaround I noticed this uneasy slow wobble like if coming from the tires (while doing the u-turn on pavement only) is this normal?
Everything went back to normal once i got back on the sand and driving straight again.
Drove back home perfectly after that

what do you guys think?

cadeddie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2010, 09:20 AM   #2
2004 TJ Wrangler 

dont use 4 wheel drive on pavement unless it is covered in snow. It is bad for the jeep and will eventully cause damage. What you are describing sounds normal when one attempts to drive in 4 wheel drive on pavement but cannot be too sure becasue I have never done it. I only use 4 wheel drive off road in low and rarely use 4wd high.
Unread 07-21-2010, 09:31 AM   #3
cadeddie
2008 JK Wrangler 

I jumped on the pavement to do a u-turn for like about 15 seconds....that is all....by the way thanks for the reply
Unread 07-21-2010, 09:39 AM   #4
jerseyjeep2003
1995 YJ Wrangler 

This sounds normal, as your driveline is trying to bind up due to the wheels having traction. engaged 4X drive + DRY pavement = broken Jeep. Actually, short (25 feet or so) straight and s l o w won't hurt, as long as ya don't make a regular practice of it.

http://s488.photobucket.com/albums/r...e7-6-08105.jpg
jerseyjeep2003 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2010, 09:47 AM   #5
mikek3
2008 JK Wrangler 

This is normal when using 4 wheel drive on a dry road/pavement. However, extended use like this is not good for your Jeep.
mikek3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2010, 09:55 AM   #6
Ravik
2010 JK Wrangler 

FYI: Driveline bind, binding hubs, axle wind up, axle bind, drive line wind up - all terms for one thing: stress due to part time 4 wheel drive

Basically, to go in a circle, the outer wheels have to turn faster as the radius of the circle is bigger - hence why we have differentials. When in 4WD, all of the wheels turn at the same speed, so going around a corner will cause incredible torque on the driveline components and 'wheel hop' as the inner or outer wheel looses traction and skips on the pavement.

Hopefully you didn't break anything.
Unread 07-21-2010, 10:11 AM   #7
cadeddie
2008 JK Wrangler 

wow I am glad I asked....I had the idea of what was going on....just needed reassurance ..thanks guys
Unread 07-21-2010, 12:58 PM   #8
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Sorry to be controversial, but if the differentials are NOT locked, then not all the wheels have to turn at the same speed - the differentials are still open so wheels on the same axle can turn at different speeds, BUT, the front axle and rear axles are linked by the transfer case and hence the driven wheel on the front and rear axle will tend to bind up when turning. If your differentials are locked, then yes, severe binding can and will occur.
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2010, 01:20 PM   #9
trw
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyClymer View Post
Sorry to be controversial, but if the differentials are NOT locked, then not all the wheels have to turn at the same speed - the differentials are still open so wheels on the same axle can turn at different speeds, BUT, the front axle and rear axles are linked by the transfer case and hence the driven wheel on the front and rear axle will tend to bind up when turning. If your differentials are locked, then yes, severe binding can and will occur.
this. This is why only Fulltime 4WD or AWD can operate on dry pavement since the transfercase acts like an open differential and allows the 2 axles to rotate at different speeds, part time does not and locks both axles together (part time is superior offroad though, but some fulltime set ups include a locking feature for the Tcase to make it act like a part time Tcase such as my Quadratrac CJ thus giving the best of both worlds).
1978 Jeep CJ-7 - 304 V8, TH400 auto and quadratrac
2007 Jeep Liberty - Mother's Jeep, BFG ATs and....mud?
trw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2010, 01:21 PM   #10
strat_53711
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravik View Post
FYI: Driveline bind, binding hubs, axle wind up, axle bind, drive line wind up - all terms for one thing: stress due to part time 4 wheel drive

Basically, to go in a circle, the outer wheels have to turn faster as the radius of the circle is bigger - hence why we have differentials. When in 4WD, all of the wheels turn at the same speed, so going around a corner will cause incredible torque on the driveline components and 'wheel hop' as the inner or outer wheel looses traction and skips on the pavement.

Hopefully you didn't break anything.
Technically, correct if using lockers. The inside/outside wheel will cause bind and stress at the differential. This could lead to differential damage.

But this does not explain what is happening at the transfer case (either locked or unlocked differentials).

From what I've been told, the binding at the transfer case, occurs due to the tracking differences between the front wheels and the rear wheels while turning. When making a turn, the front tires actually travel a small percentage farther than the rear tires (drive through a puddle with your bicycle and you can see that your rear tire will cut inside the track of your front tire). On high traction surfaces (pavement), this puts extreme stress on your Jeep's transfer case. On low traction surfaces, the tires can slip, and it reduces the stress.

Someone correct me if I'm incorrect.
Unread 07-21-2010, 01:30 PM   #11
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

strat_53711
I agree with you - the tcase is locking the axles and tracking is causing the bind - what I said. Regards, Rocky
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2010, 02:37 PM   #12
KPJ
2010 JK Wrangler 

The same issue arises on hard packed dirt, btw, or on rock.

JPK
KPJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
jk , wrangler , 4x4 , 4hi , 4 lo , turn , turning , wobble

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.