Slow to unlock - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Slow to unlock

Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippBLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!

Unread 09-06-2013, 09:43 AM   #1
ETZFAM
2010 JK Wrangler 

Slow to unlock

2010 JK Rubicon, hard to unlock the electric lockers?
Need to back up?

Thanks

Rick

ETZFAM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2013, 10:09 AM   #2
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

No need to back. They do require a bit of time but more importantly some axle movement to fully lock/unlock. Usually I hit the switch while approaching allowing about 5-10 feet for the light to go solid. Then when unlocking I just hit the switch and go - sometimes it takes a few feet to unload enough to unlock - especially if axle bound from trying to turn. I would say that if you need to turn tight so dont have the few feet to spare - rock back and forth to unbind and it should unlock pretty quick - i have had to do this when going from both locked to rear only - the fronts do bind more (as they are steering).
Unread 09-06-2013, 10:10 AM   #3
duneslider
2007 JK Wrangler 

Sounds like this is a fairly common problem. I don't have a rubicon so i haven't followed it much but try some searches and see if you can find the root cause.

Some guys have to use a screw driver to move the ring inside to get it to unlock.
duneslider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2013, 12:32 PM   #4
HappyTrails
Registered Voter w/ID

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by duneslider View Post

Some guys have to use a screw driver to move the ring inside to get it to unlock.
Just be sure to do that while your Jeep is facing UPHILL or it could become messy.

And duneslider is talking about unlocking the front locker like this: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/s...ocker-1569533/
"Don't give up 5 minutes before the miracle occurs."
HappyTrails is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2013, 05:08 PM   #5
73azbronco
2013 JK Wrangler 

also turn the wheel slightly left to right it unloads the splines to let it unlock/lock quicker.
73azbronco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2013, 07:45 PM   #6
Reluctant
2013 JK Wrangler 

my 13 JKU Sport is slow to unlock...I think it's because i don't have keyless entry

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.