Skyjacker Hydros? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Skyjacker Hydros?

Advance Adapters SYE KitsRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Rubicon express discounts from oconee off-road

Unread 12-17-2009, 11:37 PM   #1
Hellbound13
2008 JK Wrangler 

Skyjacker Hydros?

So I am thinking of changing my shocks. My ride is tight and handles well, however it rides ROUGH AS HELL. I feel every little bump, crack and pothole.

I can go over a crack an inch in size and it feels like my teeth are being rattled out.

I was running the Bilstein HD nitro shocks, and switched them out for Edelbrock IAS shocks which are also nitro. The ride was a little better, but barely.

Both of these shocks are expensive. The Edelbrocks are $80 a pop.

I am now thinking of switching to Skyjacker Hydros, as I have heard the hydro will ride much smoother than the nitro.

However I am hesitant to replace expensive shocks with cheap ones. I am afraid that the Skyjackers won't last too long, or that the ride will overall be smoother but since they are not as stiff they won't be able to control larger bumps as well.

Anyone have any thoughts on all this? The Jeep is my DD and its getting to the point where I don't even take the thing anywhere anymore its so harsh.

Hellbound13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2009, 12:23 AM   #2
alaskanthunder
2007 JK Wrangler 

What's the PSI in your tires?
Unread 12-18-2009, 12:32 AM   #3
Hellbound13
2008 JK Wrangler 

Around 28/29. Running stock size Silent Armors on 17" steel wheels. My tire/rim combo is about 70 lbs.

Not lifted, 3/4 inch front spacer, stock 2 DR rubicon springs on 2DR X.
Unread 12-18-2009, 12:35 AM   #4
alaskanthunder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Hmm, that's interesting. I run my 33's @ 30psi and I have Gas shocks that I purchased along side my 2" lift. Feels a (too me) bit smoother than stock.

Maybe someone with a bit more experience with different shocks can chime in.
Unread 12-18-2009, 12:37 AM   #5
Hellbound13
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskanthunder View Post
Hmm, that's interesting. I run my 33's @ 30psi and I have Gas shocks that I purchased along side my 2" lift. Feels a (too me) bit smoother than stock.

Maybe someone with a bit more experience with different shocks can chime in.
Steel or alloy wheels? I am wondering if the rough ride could be the weight of that combo.

Also your lift might make the ride softer with gas shocks.
Unread 12-18-2009, 03:37 AM   #6
alaskanthunder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Steel cragars!
Unread 12-18-2009, 03:40 AM   #7
planman
Thanks to all Mod erators

2007 JK Wrangler 

I ran the SJ Hydros for over a year on my 2dr.

They were inexpensive & nice and soft.

I recently upgraded to OME long travel shocks. They are slightly stiffer but give a little more length for flex.

You would be happy with the hydros for all but washboard roads at higher speeds--because they begin to fade if over-heated.
planman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2009, 06:59 AM   #8
ctown67
2007 JK Wrangler 

Skyjacker Hydros here. 44k miles and no problems. they behave very well. i have beaten on them quite a bit. I have even broken a bar pin on a rut and the shock was undamaged. i would buy them again.

good luck
List of stock parts that have been eviscerated.

power steering pump, tie rod, front left knuckle, horn, weld on rear track bar, rear track bar bracket, both rear fenders, front passenger fender, punctured spare tire, rear bar pins, steering stabilizer shock, front drivers side shock, spare tire carrier.
ctown67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2009, 05:33 AM   #9
asuperheat
2008 JK Wrangler 

I like them, only had them for about 9k so far though. But they are cheap enough that if they fail I will just replace them.
asuperheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2009, 08:02 AM   #10
daggo66
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellbound13 View Post
So I am thinking of changing my shocks. My ride is tight and handles well, however it rides ROUGH AS HELL. I feel every little bump, crack and pothole.

I can go over a crack an inch in size and it feels like my teeth are being rattled out.

I was running the Bilstein HD nitro shocks, and switched them out for Edelbrock IAS shocks which are also nitro. The ride was a little better, but barely.

I am now thinking of switching to Skyjacker Hydros, as I have heard the hydro will ride much smoother than the nitro.

However I am hesitant to replace expensive shocks with cheap ones. I am afraid that the Skyjackers won't last too long, or that the ride will overall be smoother but since they are not as stiff they won't be able to control larger bumps as well.

Anyone have any thoughts on all this? The Jeep is my DD and its getting to the point where I don't even take the thing anywhere anymore its so harsh.

Would it be a correct assumption that you have only owned passenger cars in the past? I used to own a 1980 CJ7. In comparison the JK ride is as soft as an old Buick.
Unread 12-19-2009, 08:39 AM   #11
Hellbound13
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by daggo66 View Post
Would it be a correct assumption that you have only owned passenger cars in the past? I used to own a 1980 CJ7. In comparison the JK ride is as soft as an old Buick.

Yes this is my first Jeep. But when it was stock it felt a lot smoother.
Unread 12-19-2009, 09:28 AM   #12
Helldorado Customs
Addicted...

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellbound13 View Post

Unfortunately, your rough ride is a byproduct of 17" and 18" wheels.....not your shocks. The problem with 17 and 18" wheels on jeeps.....jeeps don't ride "well" in the first place. In the "old" days, 15" wheels had much larger sidewalls and absorbed the cracks and small things and you never noticed. But alas....the world of looking good and asthetics came and here we are.....larger wheels to look good and handle better with a suspension that's made for offroad, not cracks and potholes.

With all that said, I've have the nitro's and hydro's on prior vehicles. The nitro's felt good offroad with the stiffer ride, and the hydro's felt better onroad with a bit of squishy feeling offroad. So....to answer your questions, yes, the hydro's will ride better than the nitro's on the road......but it's still going to be rougher ride than if you went to a smaller diameter wheel.

Call it what you will, but it's the inconveinent truth.
Helldorado Customs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2009, 10:44 AM   #13
daggo66
2009 JK Wrangler 

Perhaps the best solution might be the Bilstein 5100's that have an adjustable ride feature.
Unread 12-19-2009, 01:14 PM   #14
Hellbound13
2008 JK Wrangler 

The wheel size theory makes sense bit when I was stock with stock shocks it rode smooth. However those were much lighter wheels since they were alloy and it was street tires.

I guess it's the fact that my wheels are almost 80 lbs with tires on them.

That's another reason I have no gotten the skyjackers I'm afraid that instead of giving a softer ride they won't be able to dampen all that weight at all.

I can't get the bilstein 5100s cause they are only for lifted applications.
Unread 12-19-2009, 02:53 PM   #15
daggo66
2009 JK Wrangler 

You're correct about the 5100's, I meant the Rancho 9000. They fit a stock suspension and have an optional wireless adjustment remote control.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.