Skid Plates - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Skid Plates

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! ECGS Black Friday Sale!!1993-1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Stainless Steel Exhaust Mani

Unread 10-25-2013, 02:24 PM   #1
RalphTomaccio
2012 JK Wrangler 

Skid Plates

My 2012 JKU is still stock except for some Rubi rails I've added this summer. In the past few months I have gotten into a little light off-roading and am beginning to realize the value of skid plates. I was going to add some Ace rails first, but now I think those can wait. Now, here's my problem that I am turning to you for advice.

I'm retired and have a modest income. I can't do everything all at once and need to prioritize purchases. I knew I would do some light to moderate trails, but still feel I won't go beyond that due to the more extreme costs involved. I will eventually add 33" tires (currently have 32" stock tires) and a modest lift.

So, from the list below, please prioritize:

1. Front Skid
2. Evap Skid
3. Oil Pan Skid
4. Transmission Skid
5. Steering Box Skid
6. Control Arms Skid
7. Differential Covers
8. Muffler Skid
9. Fuel Tank Skid
10. Ace Sliders
11. 2.5" Lift (Type?)

Thanks!

RalphTomaccio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2013, 02:33 PM   #2
Turbineguy
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphTomaccio View Post

Front Skid
Evap Skid
Oil Pan Skid
Transmission Skid
Steering Box Skid
Control Arms Skid
Differential Skids
Muffler Skid
Fuel Tank Skid
Ace Sliders
2.5" Lift (Type?)

Thanks!
Your list is already perfect. Start from the bottom and work up.

Seriously, I wouldn't worry about the skids for a while. Lift, tires, rockers will do more to protect you on light to medium trails.
Turbineguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2013, 02:41 PM   #3
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

ditto - with lift, some larger tires, rock sliders you will be fine on the trails you mention. Remember if it hits the skid plate on the JK, it is OK as that is what it is supposed to hit! The stock skid is IMO OK for the trails you mention...good riding.
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2013, 02:57 PM   #4
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

x2 Skids not required for light offroad. You'll be better off with a 2.5" lift and tires first. That will be more functional and you'll get more performance out of your JK! Watch the Teraflex video on the performance difference between a stock sport and another with a 2.5" budget boost, you'd be surprised. Just watch your lines when your (light) offroading and you can avoid the requirements for heavy skids.
SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2013, 10:42 PM   #5
TheBoss
2012 JK Wrangler 

I would agree with the others on the lift , but being a 2012 an engine \ transmission skid would be a worth while investment. The cooler lines and tin can of an oil pan are vulnerable and need protecting. River Raider and JCR are two contenders.

[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/built-not-bought/"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #690[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson[/COLOR][SIZE="2"][/SIZE]
TheBoss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2013, 11:48 PM   #6
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Another vote for the lift and tires first. After market skids are fine and all but really not necessary for the type of wheeling youíre describing.
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2013, 11:55 PM   #7
xcstar
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I'm gonna go against the masses and say at least an engine skid before anything else. A lift does no good if you happen to hit a rock and put a hole in the pan. Even on easy trails stuff still can happen
xcstar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2013, 12:29 AM   #8
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Although anything is possible, smashing the oil pan, especially on easy trails is next to imposable (thereís always the exception). Youíre going to be hitting other things way before making contact with the pan. Although exposed itís still tucked up out of harmís way unless you are playing in the rocks were the Jeep can drop down on an unseen object.

Iím not running with one now but will be getting one just for the peace of mind after Iíve done other things on my Jeep and have the money.
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2013, 08:54 AM   #9
TheBoss
2012 JK Wrangler 

If it has an automatic transmission the lines hang precariously in harms way for a branch or rock to snag it. Not to mention the trans pan which judging by the looks of it is plastic.

It would be my dumb luck the line would get hooked on a dead limb on a hunting or forest trail pulling the plug on it's lifeline. I went with a JCR engine trans skid with the exhaust loop skid for piece of mind. At less than $300. it made sense

[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/built-not-bought/"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #690[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson[/COLOR][SIZE="2"][/SIZE]
TheBoss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2013, 09:54 AM   #10
Corvito
2014 JK Wrangler 

i just got a full set of skid plates and it cost me around $1000 for purchase and install
2014 JKU Wrangler "UMBRA" - 3" Rubicon Express Lift Kit | Bilstein 5100 shocks | 33" Nitto A/T | 17Ē Pacers | RockHard Skid Plates | Smittybilt XRC Front Bumper | Mile Marker 8000 LB winch | Black Mesh grill | Rampage Locking Gas Door |
Corvito is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2013, 10:05 AM   #11
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphTomaccio View Post
My 2012 JKU is still stock except for some Rubi rails I've added this summer. In the past few months I have gotten into a little light off-roading and am beginning to realize the value of skid plates. I was going to add some Ace rails first, but now I think those can wait. Now, here's my problem that I am turning to you for advice.

I'm retired and have a modest income. I can't do everything all at once and need to prioritize purchases. I knew I would do some light to moderate trails, but still feel I won't go beyond that due to the more extreme costs involved. I will eventually add 33" tires (currently have 32" stock tires) and a modest lift.

1. Front Skid
2. Evap Skid
3. Oil Pan Skid
4. Transmission Skid
5. Steering Box Skid
6. Control Arms Skid
7. Differential Covers
8. Muffler Skid
9. Fuel Tank Skid
10. Ace Sliders
11. 2.5" Lift (Type?)

Thanks!

1. Evap Skid or relocate
2. Oil Pan Skid4. Transmission Skid: most are all in one.
3. Front Skid
5. Steering Box Skid ? On a Jk? If you get rock there, well.....
6. Differential Covers
7. Control Arms Skid
8. Muffler Skid? not needed. I wheel hard trails and the muf is the better of the looking things under my jeep.
9. Fuel Tank Skid. you have one, aftermarket is much stronger but at the cost of a lot of weigh.
10. Ace Sliders, what ever floats your jeep
11. 2.5" Lift (Type?) at 2.5 I would say spring only.
Unread 10-26-2013, 10:11 AM   #12
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoss View Post
If it has an automatic transmission the lines hang precariously in harms way for a branch or rock to snag it. Not to mention the trans pan which judging by the looks of it is plastic.
the pan is just thin tin on the auto.

Make note to the OP: there is a recall on these autos. the cooling lines. I am in line for the recall but they have no parts. They are very thin aluminum. dealer said from what he knows a few things will be done.

some kind of plastic separator to keep the lines from chaffing.
If needed replacing lines.
power steering separation from line if needed. they could rub.
Unread 10-26-2013, 10:14 AM   #13
SoK66
2009 JK Wrangler 

Your priorities are the evap canister and the trans pan. Rocker skids next. The factory t-case skid is actually pretty good, and if you use some care the tank skid will live. Muffler skids are useless. Poly's system is great as are Rockhard and Asfir.
Unread 10-26-2013, 10:48 AM   #14
brianjw
2012 JK Wrangler 

The stock transfer case skid is ok but the cross member sucks. I'd get a poison spyder HD cross member and run the stock skid before adding a skid to the stock cross member.
My factory skid is fine and the sheet metal crossmember is already bent, and I know mine is not the first.
brianjw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2013, 11:38 AM   #15
SoK66
2009 JK Wrangler 

Sorry, I left out the x-member. It is indeed a piece of junk, so figure in something like Poison Spyder's or Or-Fab's reinforced unit.
SoK66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.