Skid Plate Prioritization - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Skid Plate Prioritization

The Boss is away but Erin is here to STAY with a F.Y.S. SaIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 04-06-2015, 10:20 AM   #1
Spagent
2012 JK Wrangler 

Skid Plate Prioritization

Hey guys!

I'm looking to gather your thoughts on:
-What skid plates are worth adding?
-Which ones are the most important (which order you'd add them)?
(Fuel tank, transfer case, breather canister, oil pan, "front")
-Thoughts on brands?

Thanks!!

Spagent is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2015, 10:38 AM   #2
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

I started with where it hit. Front differential skid/protection, AEV rear differential skid plate (also protects rear drive shaft joint) and finally added the Synergy gas tank skid plate. The most hits are on the stock skid plate and I
just remove it every couple of years, beat it out and repaint it.
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2015, 11:26 AM   #3
tchaap
2008 JK Wrangler 

You missed one....

Sliders

Should be number one IMO. Pretty easy to bash up you lower panels and when that happens you'll be pissed and you don't have to be a heavy duty rock crawler to do it either. You can bash up your rockers in a dirt ditch or hitting a tree root too.

then:

dif covers
Oil pan skid
evap

stock TC and gas skid work. I would replace those last.
Unread 04-06-2015, 12:06 PM   #4
Spagent
2012 JK Wrangler 

Cool. I was thinking basically the same order. Wasn't sure what people thought of the stock stuff. Figured it was "under-suited"
Spagent is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2015, 12:40 PM   #5
JeremyatKOR
WWW.KRAWLOFF-ROAD.COM
2008 JK Wrangler 

Spagent,

You could look at a fully integrated system for skids like Evo Protek system or Rock Hard 4x4. That way you get eh engine/oil pan skid, transfer case skid and gas tank skid. Like stated you would also want to get a set of rock rails to protect the rocker of the Jeep. I run rock rails right now since rocks in Florida are few and far between. I will be getting the skids eventually before I get up to Alaska.

Jeremy
JeremyatKOR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2015, 01:02 PM   #6
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Yeah, actually I had sliders before any of the others...I was thinking underbody I guess. And, the bumpers were right there with the sliders.
My stock gas tank skid had seen too many rocks to continue...that was my most recent addition.
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
Unread 04-07-2015, 08:38 AM   #7
jwmbishop
Accidental Obfuscator

2011 JK Wrangler 

I put bumpers and sliders ahead of belly armor simply because at 3" lift I turtle quite a bit on the hard rock climbs. So not really there for protection as much as a way to get the rig to go where I want it to go when the rocks say otherwise. Front skid and sliders are "sacrificial" when compared to the mechanics being protected by the armor. Fortunately my budget allowed for both.

because being able to get INTO the rock garden made the need for belly armor...

The transfer and engine get my mechanical sympathy - but not so much the rails and front skid.

Thats why I went with the PS Rocker Knockers. Pretty easy to clean up the gouges and scrapes. Or not... chicks dig scars...
Unread 04-07-2015, 09:22 AM   #8
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Agree John, rock rash adds character....beats the chrome dome look of the mall crawlers.
Unread 04-07-2015, 11:27 AM   #9
Harriedtwo
2011 JK Wrangler 

In New Mexico Rocks and sand are the worst issues. Oil pan and transmission pan are number 2 and three for protection but number 1 are the rock rails. Easy to slide in an arroyo and bang up the side so the sliders protect the area easily damaged but difficult to repair. I have a Rubicon and the first time out I had to climb out of a canyon by driving up the 60° canyon wall to avoid the 2~3 foot tall boulders which had rolled down the canyon after a rainstorm. The leader of our group got hung up and needed to winch off the rocks; he scraped rocks the entire length of his lifted and armored FJ. Based on my experiences: 1. Sliders; 2. oil pan; 3. transmission; 4. cooler for A/T; 5. fuel tank (if the stock tank armor isn't enough.
Harriedtwo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2015, 12:18 PM   #10
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

I'll have top agree with the "Sliders" as No. one, but

The aux tranny cooler isn't a skid plate, but should be No. one mod. on any 07 thru 11 JK/JKU jeep/w automatic tranny-and

That's for ANY pre 2012 JK/JKU jeep, even if it's never taken off-road-

JIMBO
JIMBOX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2015, 01:36 PM   #11
YATZI1980
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMBOX
I'll have top agree with the "Sliders" as No. one, but The aux tranny cooler isn't a skid plate, but should be No. one mod. on any 07 thru 11 JK/JKU jeep/w automatic tranny-and That's for ANY pre 2012 JK/JKU jeep, even if it's never taken off-road- JIMBO
I have to do an aux cooler. Got any links to a good write up? I don't want to use one that mounts in front of my radiator because the winch is already there and feel it would block too much air flow. Is it enough to just add an inline one?
YATZI1980 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2015, 01:42 PM   #12
jwmbishop
Accidental Obfuscator

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YATZI1980 View Post
I have to do an aux cooler. Got any links to a good write up? I don't want to use one that mounts in front of my radiator because the winch is already there and feel it would block too much air flow. Is it enough to just add an inline one?
I've been running without one. The only time I have "overheated" was after towing a CJ uphill in 4hi. About 1/4 mile after towing it (and the TJ that had started the pull and broke halfway) up Cadillac Hill, I just figured I was okay to go to 4hi. Wrong, it got hot pretty fast - like within a 1/4 mile of shifting to hi... let her idle about ten minutes - went back to 2lo and pulled him the rest of the way out with no more problems.

So my thinking is ANY kind of cooler takes you out of that "marginal" red zone.
Unread 04-07-2015, 04:37 PM   #13
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

Well, if you google "Aux cooler-JK" there are a lotta options and you can find one for your setup-

Quote:
Originally Posted by YATZI1980 View Post
I've gone a little redundant, cause I have the rad. aux cooler and an old racing MOROSO frame mount/aluminum 500cc cooler, I used in my CUDA-

So My tranny usually stays well below 180° F-even off-road when towing my trailer

Since my warranty has been fairly useless for years, I've cut the stock cooler () completely outta the loop and just use the two aux coolers-

I also haven't honored the J30 RECALL (Aug 01-2010)to reprogram the ECU for "Hot Oil" msg and shutdown for "Limp Mode"--I didn't want that feature in mine--

Good luck

JIMBO
JIMBOX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2015, 08:29 AM   #14
Maertz
2009 JK Wrangler 

I need a skid for my hardtop rails....
forumrunner_20150408_082917.jpg  
Unread 04-08-2015, 08:33 AM   #15
jbeebe
1991 YJ Wrangler 

IMO, sliders and a full engine skid are the most important.

For an engine skid, go with skid row.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.