SIRI and Uconnect now work together - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > SIRI and Uconnect now work together

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO April Instant Rebate: Up to $75 off Flowmaster Products!50% Off Sale at KrawlOff-Road.com

Unread 10-05-2014, 05:47 PM   #1
xsdbs

SIRI and Uconnect now work together

Do you have an IPhone and want SIRI, visual voice mail and voice messages to work with Uconnect? Is your vehicle built after 6-2011 and you have either a RES, REQ, RBZ or RHB radio?

I have a contact that was able to modify the Uconnect SW so that SIRI, visual voice mail and voice messages will now work. I made a short video on using SIRI and Visual Voice mail with Uconnect. The phone that I was using is a 4S however I have also used the 5 & 5S. The radio is the RHB but this SW modification will also work on the RES, REQ & RBZ radios.
After I made the video, it was brought to my attention that with iOS 8.02, that you can use SIRI without having to press the home button. But in order for this feature to work, the phone has to be plugged into a power source (lighter charger), this is how Apple has this feature working.
The video is at YouTube and the link to it is:

Last edited by JLC08JK; 10-09-2014 at 05:45 PM.. Reason: Fixed youtube link
xsdbs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2014, 02:18 PM   #2
FamousJerry
2014 JK Wrangler 

Am i missing something? looks like all you are doing is connecting to your radio via bluetooth and then hitting the home button. I was thinking you would hit the uconect button on the steering wheel and that would trigger it kind of GM's mylink or Siri handsfree. Where was the software update you mentioned and how its it actually working with the uconect? I guess i dont understand what you are showing. I program apps for the iphone and code apps for the mac and im not seeing what the difference is from what i can do right now with blue tooth connected to my uconect radio. Sorry for all the questions.
FamousJerry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2014, 09:53 AM   #3
xsdbs

1) The phone is already connected to Uconnect thru BT, there are 2 ways to get SIRI to work:
A) By pressing the home button to activate SIRI the same as outside the vehicle,
B) When you have iOS 8 and newer (8.02) if you have the phone plugged into a power source (lighter adapter) you're able to use the "Hey SIRI" VR command.

2) In the vehicles that are able to use a switch to trigger SIRI, the switch has to trigger a BT message to the phone to trigger SIRI, The Uconnect module that is used with the RES, REQ, RBZ & RHB radios doesn't have that capability. That module is considered a carry over part, meaning that the HW of it is the same HW from 2012 and has had it's last SW update in 2013. It's possible that depending on phone SW versions & Android updates that there may be other updates but there are currently none planned that I have heard of. The phones connectivity with Uconnect currently is working with pretty much all the phones on the market. Now there has been issues where a phone has been working fine until it rec'd an OTA SW update and now has issues. This wouldn't be an issue with Uconnect but with the phone MFG instead. Such as a few Samsung phones that was working fine with Android 4.2 and when they came out with 4.3 and 4.4, the working phone now has issues making an outgoing call. This is because when Uconnect queries the phone about the call, the phone responds with "no active call". So this is an issue that Samsung has made an update and supplied it to Sprint & VZW (the CDMA networks were the only ones having the issue). So at this point, the Uconnect module for these mentioned radios has no plans on implementing signaling SIRI thru a button press.

3) I am not a SW person so I don't know what my contact did in order to let SIRI and VVM work. The use of voice recognition activation is not a supported feature of this particular Uconnect system. There are 3 different suppliers of the Uconnect because of the different radios offered by Chrysler.

4) In Chrysler vehicles built after 6-2011, SIRI does not work thru Uconnect. If you activate SIRI with the home button while connected to Uconnect, she doesn't work. The screen will be there looking at you but doesn't perform. Nor can you listen to your Visual Voicemail selections.

5) Now even though SIRI is able to be used in the pre 6-2011 vehicles, there's other features that they don't have that are needed with some of the newer phones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamousJerry View Post
Am i missing something? looks like all you are doing is connecting to your radio via bluetooth and then hitting the home button. I was thinking you would hit the uconect button on the steering wheel and that would trigger it kind of GM's mylink or Siri handsfree. Where was the software update you mentioned and how its it actually working with the uconect? I guess i dont understand what you are showing. I program apps for the iphone and code apps for the mac and im not seeing what the difference is from what i can do right now with blue tooth connected to my uconect radio. Sorry for all the questions.
Unread 10-09-2014, 05:58 AM   #4
xsdbs

I have several people that have done this upgrade and are quite happy with the results. You can read some comments at the link below:

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/io...-906065-3.html
Unread 10-09-2014, 11:26 AM   #5
MrFusion
2012 JK Wrangler 

Sounds interesting. I might be interested in giving this a try. Is it possible to go back to the stock software if you want/need to?
MrFusion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2014, 07:56 AM   #6
MrFusion
2012 JK Wrangler 

I just installed this update last evening and so far it's working pretty well. When my phone is connected to a power source, I just have to say "hey Siri" and Siri activates and uses the uconnect mic and sound system speakers.
Still playing with it. Composing and sending hands free text messages works.
MrFusion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2014, 06:18 AM   #7
xsdbs

Thanks MrFusion for the reply, glad that you're enjoying it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFusion View Post
I just installed this update last evening and so far it's working pretty well. When my phone is connected to a power source, I just have to say "hey Siri" and Siri activates and uses the uconnect mic and sound system speakers.
Still playing with it. Composing and sending hands free text messages works.
Unread 12-22-2014, 05:41 AM   #8
xsdbs

Just to let anyone know that is interested in this patch, I now have over 50 people that have purchased and performed it and are quite pleased with the results on a couple other forums.

Here's where it's been used the most:

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/io...-906065-8.html
Unread 01-10-2015, 08:50 AM   #9
Mcginnessj

I do I buy the download. Just got a 2014 Jeep Wrangler and my Siri will not work. Thanks.
Mcginnessj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2015, 08:51 AM   #10
Mcginnessj

How do I buy
Mcginnessj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2015, 08:08 AM   #11
xsdbs

You can PM me with your email address (I don't want email address's to be out in the open forum) and I'll give you my email for sending the payment. Okay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcginnessj View Post
How do I buy
Unread 01-21-2015, 05:50 PM   #12
LVCapo
The Voice of Reason

2013 JK Wrangler 

I purchased this update last night and installed it this morning, very simple and straightforward, works exactly as advertised. The only issue I've seen is if you use Siri instead of the UConnect button to make phone calls the call quality is pretty poor (there's an echo). Other than that it comes in handy with the Hey Siri feature.
LVCapo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2015, 12:20 PM   #13
xsdbs

Thanks for the report back on the patch. I've noticed that also, I think that you get 2 open inputs and they cross talk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVCapo View Post
I purchased this update last night and installed it this morning, very simple and straightforward, works exactly as advertised. The only issue I've seen is if you use Siri instead of the UConnect button to make phone calls the call quality is pretty poor (there's an echo). Other than that it comes in handy with the Hey Siri feature.
Unread 01-23-2015, 12:39 PM   #14
LVCapo
The Voice of Reason

2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsdbs View Post
Thanks for the report back on the patch. I've noticed that also, I think that you get 2 open inputs and they cross talk.
Yep, but it's a very nice and useful hack none the less...nicely done.
LVCapo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2015, 01:06 PM   #15
xsdbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVCapo View Post
Yep, but it's a very nice and useful hack none the less...nicely done.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.