Siped (siping?) Tires on 07 Rubicon - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Siped (siping?) Tires on 07 Rubicon

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 11-21-2007, 07:21 PM   #1
dth

Siped (siping?) Tires on 07 Rubicon

I was wondering if anyone has siped their BFG M/T's on their 07 or 08 Rubicon? Does it make a difference in ice and snow and is it worth it? Thanks.

dth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2007, 08:16 PM   #2
dsr

I thought went hunting these with really good looking girls after dark. Just kidding. Don't know if it would help and be worth it.
dsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2007, 10:08 PM   #3
SecondTJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I had my BFG MT's siped, it was cheap (less than $10/tire), and it was definately worth it. Haven't had them in snow yet, but it really helped in the rain.

'99 Z28 M6, some goodies
'94 'Vette, A4 all stock
SecondTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2007, 05:56 AM   #4
dsy
2007 JK Wrangler 

Had mine siped the first week I picked it up over a year ago and it made a huge improvement in the rain, ice, and hard packed snow. Got it done at Discount tire. Charged me $40.00 to sipe all 5 tires, and they also refilled all 5 with nitrogen for free.
Flame red unlimited Rubicon 5 speed 5-45RFE Auto , 35" KM2's, RCV front axles, 3 1/2" AEV premium lift, AEV snorkel, LoD front bumper with Warn powerplant,Full River Raider Alum skids, Marchal E-Code Lamps, 45qt Engel refrigerator / freezer, 09 Mygig w/ipod interface, Katzkin leather, ya its got a Hemi :-)http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/little-upgrade-607325/
dsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2007, 08:26 AM   #5
Fishbulb
2008 JK Wrangler 

Tread siping is a powerful traction tool. That is why ice/snow tires have so much. While you will get that benefit, the increased flex may accelerate tread wear.
Unread 11-22-2007, 08:30 AM   #6
N2rock
2007 JK Wrangler 

Has anyone siped the Wrangler tires that come on the X and Sahara? Any advantage/disadvantage to doing so? Will it give those tires a more aggressive look and more bite?

I want a more aggressive look and also better grab off-road. But I'm a cheapskate that doesn't want to replace the tires until I've worn them out. Obviously accelerating the treadwear would not be a big deal to me- the sooner I could buy some other tires

His: '07 Unlimited X, Jeep Green, Hardtop, auto, 5.13, 2.5" RC lift and too many mods to list

Hers: '08 X Red Rock, soft top, auto. Bunch of mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlgraham View Post
If you made a snuggy out of a Shamwow, ....would you have to get up off the couch to pee?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepskyy View Post
At this point if Obama tried to move a little to the right, he would trip over Stalin's corpse.
N2rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2007, 08:47 AM   #7
McJeepz
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Siping will almost always give great improvements in traction

It usually adds to chunking of the tire if you're in the rocks a lot as well though

Looks is completely in the eye of the beholder ;0)
McJeepz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2007, 08:48 AM   #8
Fishbulb
2008 JK Wrangler 

I doubt anyone will recognize the fact the tires are siped except you. You will benefit from increased traction even on the stock X and Sahara tires.
Unread 12-02-2010, 01:11 PM   #9
jarrod318
2007 JK Wrangler 

Reviving the old thread but I thought it is appropriate for winter. I am considering having my 35 inch Nitto Trail Grapplers siped for improved traction. I am new to having MTs and I have read that they are bad in the snow/ice. My question is should I have the entire tire siped or just the center? Also I have read conflicting views on if siping will increase or decrease the tread life. I am mostly a DD and wheel about 2-4 times per year.
jarrod318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2010, 01:23 PM   #10
1AAdam
2000 WJ 

it has been said siping is "magical" in snow and ice. if i had mud tires on a vehicle i would get them siped for the winter/rain. unless u have a really 'solid/chunky' tread pattern extra siping usually is not needed. even the BFG A/T's have plenty of siping in them for snow and rain.
1AAdam is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.