Single Person JK Hardtop Removal?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Single Person JK Hardtop Removal??

Labor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comShocktober is here! Get new shocks for your Jeep!!!!

Unread 06-18-2007, 02:08 PM   #1
Corleone
2007 JK Wrangler 

Single Person JK Hardtop Removal??

I want to remove my JK hard top every now and then but my wife cannot help me lift it and I hate to ask people to come over and help me lift off the top. Does anyone know of a product and/or has anyone rigged anything that would enable me to remove the hard top by myself. I do not have a garage so I cannot use the pulley system. I can use a hand truck to move it to my backyard but getting the top off the body and onto the ground is the problem. Any ideas?

Corleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2007, 02:23 PM   #2
MichaelW

I just picked up mine and carried it to the backyard on my 4-door hardtop. But it was a tricky balancing act.

Some ideas,

A tall engine hoist like lift.

A lift system similar to sleeper campers with jacks available at RV stores.

A single large overhead beam with a come-a-long.

There are probably some after market products available as well.
MichaelW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2007, 02:37 PM   #3
CCrew
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Make, or buy one of these.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/12020_1X_A_PG.htm

-Roger
CCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2007, 02:45 PM   #4
JEEP97TJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrew
Make, or buy one of these.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/12020_1X_A_PG.htm

-Roger
He said he doesnt have a grarage, so he cant really do the pulley system
Unread 06-18-2007, 03:39 PM   #5
jprubiconTN

I have the Lange Lift and love it.

Since you do not have a garage - do you have a tree that could hold it?
jprubiconTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2007, 03:49 PM   #6
surfcaster
2006 LJ Wrangler 

If you have cool neighbors they will not mind helping you for 45 seconds in the spring and the fall. Get yourself the hardtop cart and once it's on the ground you can move it anywhere by yourself.
surfcaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2007, 04:46 PM   #7
JEEP97TJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I was thinking, do you have a deck of some sorts? If you have a deck off the normal living level with a walk out basement, could rig something up to the bottom of the deck, back jeep under it, raise the top and store it there.
Then again you might not have a deck........just throwing out ideas

So if you have the hard top, its gotta be the 3 piece freedom top, right?
So I guess you can handle the smaller parts. My TJ has a 2 piece hardtop, front cockpit half can be handled easy, but that dang back part needs 2 people, thought of doing it myself but reconsidered. Haha.

good luck
Unread 06-18-2007, 07:57 PM   #8
BJeepJK

Easy Fix ... get at least 2 cases of beer, call up a few friends and have alittle cook out. After a few beers mention that you were thinking of taking the top off but its too heavy for the wife. Your buddies will have it off in no time.
A few years ago I poured a concrete slab and had a bunch of lumber piled up around it, called over my buddies for a party and drank some beers then one of them asked "what do you have going on over there?" I said come on over and I'll show you, next thing you know I had a garage ... Luckily I have a keg mister cuz it took us 2 full days of drinking to build it. It's still standing, and pretty level too ... LOL
BJeepJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2007, 02:48 PM   #9
Corleone
2007 JK Wrangler 

Thanks

Thanks for all your ideas. I didn't think about the tree idea.....I do have a tree nearby that I could use along with the lange hoist.

Thanks again!
Corleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2007, 03:35 PM   #10
fer328
2007 JK Wrangler 

I tried to build a pulley system this weekend. The top itself is not that heavy, just large and difficult to manage. For those of you who are going to make yourself, the center of gravity is almost to the very back of the roof. With a single hoist (pulley) at the top ( as in attached to a ceiling) it is still very cumbersome for one person to lift and set on roof . I am going to try to add another pulley ( 2 pulley system to see if it will be easier to lift. I knew I should have paid more attention in physics.
fer328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2007, 06:44 PM   #11
Krieglok

Maybe a fellow JK owner in NJ could help you lift it off...Are there any jeep(ing) clubs in North Jersey?

2007 redrock auto JK 4dr(Hers), 2007 rescue green stick JK 4dr (His)

Last edited by Krieglok; 06-26-2007 at 02:02 PM..
Krieglok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2007, 06:17 AM   #12
SaharaBlackNo1
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprubiconTN
I have the Lange Lift and love it.

Since you do not have a garage - do you have a tree that could hold it?
I'm going to assume you got the power winch and not the manual. I decided I didn't need power and got the manual. The winch they provide is garbage. The T is a pretty good design though, but the 6 lousy screws that are supposed to "hold" the parts together are junk as well. I broke 4 out of 6, stripped a 5th and left the 6th looser than I'd have liked. I then drilled out the 4 I broke and drilled holes through the piece and replaced the sub par screws with longer ones. Its now very sturdy and I don't feel like it might fall apart on me.

For 200 bucks though they could have at least provided a better winch I feel. I'm going to Harbor Freight today to pick up a 30 dollar manual winch with hand brake. The one Lange provides is not really designed to lower anything, just pick it up.
SaharaBlackNo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2007, 02:36 PM   #13
catchone
MOD or BUST!!!!

2007 JK Wrangler 

I took mine off by myself. Like MichealW the balancing was a little difficult but it can be done. Just remember to have the window up and the tailgate closed.

It slides off very easy. I am 5'8" so I am vertically challenged.

Once you start you are committed. Taking off by yourself is one thing

Putting on by yourself is a totally different thing.
catchone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2007, 02:39 PM   #14
cadencedad
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I cemented to 4 x4s and the 3rd across the top and put a winch on the top and blasto you have it all for under 100.00
cadencedad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2007, 03:46 PM   #15
squid2004

I first setup a deal with sawhorses and a platform that I would simply back up and slide the top on and off to... worked very well and handled an entire TJ hard top all by myself.

then in my garage I setup four locking ropes and attached to each corner and basically cranked two up at a time an inch or two until it cleared the jeep.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.