Silly noob question (manual) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Silly noob question (manual)

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 11-02-2011, 09:55 AM   #1
maybles
2007 JK Wrangler 

Silly noob question (manual)

I bought my first jeep the other day (07 JKR) and I decided to get a manual transmission (1st one). So question time. I keep hearing about a shift light indicator, but have not found one. Can anyone confirm this? Also, when I shift, the jeep jerks if I don't let the clutch out slowly. Is this normal? I only thought I had to go that going into first.

I'm sure I'll have some new beginner questions (especially when I try offroading - god help me), but I appreciate any advice whether it's opinion or fact.

maybles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2011, 10:34 AM   #2
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

Rough shifting is something that is hard to coach without riding along. But the most common reason is dropping off the throttle too much. It takes practice but what you want to do is come off the throttle only enough to match RPM - that is if you are at 2500RPM when you shift and the the next gear will put you at 1800 - then you want the engine at 1800 (not 800 idle) as you let out the clutch. One way to practice is to shallow clutch - that is just before you upshift apply a light pressure to the stick - when you clutch do not go all the way to the floor with the clutch - just go down far enough to feel the unload point (plus a tad) - you will feel the unload point (shifter will go) as torque is removed - at THAT point lightly lift the throttle and it will RPM match right into the next gear. Downshifting you don't even have to lift the throttle - the unload will speed the engine up to match - if downshifting with NO throttle (engine braking decel) just "burp" the throttle to match!

Of course I have not driven a stick with the electronic throttle so it may be defeating this. In that case the only way to smooth is to just practice shifting faster (without using more force). I was brutal until I learned to shift without a clutch - but that is brutal on the syncros until you get it right.
Unread 11-02-2011, 11:40 AM   #3
maybles
2007 JK Wrangler 

That is a very good explanation. I think I am letting my RPM's drop too much before I actually engage the next gear. I'll give that a try tonight. Thank you for giving me a well thought out response instead of just making fun of me.
maybles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2011, 12:52 PM   #4
JeepingNet
2008 JK Wrangler 

When I switched back to a manual I was shifting poorly because I thought about it too much.

Go for a driver around an area with a lot of stops and turns. Try things out. Try quick, slow, giving abit of gas, etc see what feels right. Then stop thinking about shifting. After awhile it becomes second nature.

I find Jeep transmissions are ruff but also forgiving. I'm still working on down shifting on this JK.. I've only owned it 2 months and it feels much different From my TJ.
ARB Bumper with Warn 9.5ti / synthetic rope
AEV Pintler wheels with Micky Thompson 315/75/17 MTZs
[url]http://www.jeeping.net[/url]
JeepingNet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2011, 02:42 PM   #5
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybles View Post
Thank you for giving me a well thought out response instead of just making fun of me.
No problem - been there so I understand and after teaching all three of my kids to drive, coaching two rookies in stock cars (one gave me his rookie of the year trophy) as well as several veterans - I have learned to approach it with patience. I am now coaching my 70 year old mother on driving her motorhome - that has tapped that patience to no end.

If you still have problems with a rough shift - just take it to the dealer and complain about the loose nut on the shifter...
Unread 11-02-2011, 03:35 PM   #6
joeyc
2011 JK Wrangler 

Ive been driving my manual 2011 JK for 3-4 months.. In the past I've driven many manual exotics. Maserati, Z06 Vette, CTS-V, etc. no I'm not rich I detail cars... But when I drove those cars they are all very smooth if i want a smooth ride i generally shift the wrangler around 2000rpm not much get up and go and i still bounce around a bit. so its just bouncy lol
2011 2dr Natural Green | 1.5" Teraflex Leveling Kit | Unlimited Springs | SkyJacker Hydro Shocks | 295/70/17 Trail Grapplers | 17" Rubi Rims Painted Carbon | 1.5" Spidertrax Spacer | Bed Lined Tub | RR Mirror Relocations | Manual Transmission | Soft Top | Gutter Guard Grill | Painted Grill | Smoked Turn Signals | Front and Rear diff Covers in Blue | Extended Breather Hoses | Customs Bumper
joeyc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
manual , standard , transmission

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.