Side Step Bars - Cheap ones OK? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Side Step Bars - Cheap ones OK?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitIntroducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineKrawlOff-Road.com Jeep Beach Sale

Unread 09-04-2012, 10:08 AM   #1
bradg33

Side Step Bars - Cheap ones OK?

I just bought a 2012 Wrangler Sport S and my (short) wife has insisted that I get step bars for it so she can get in and out easier. I'd like to get chrome tube-style steps. I've been eying these on Quadratec. Anyone have them, know if they are decent, for $190 (Rampage Products)?

Link: http://www.quadratec.com/products/12117_404_07.htm

bradg33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2012, 11:20 AM   #2
Spike6901

If you don't wheel much then OK but if you do, you can toss 'em after the first hard hit.

This is why a lot of us run what is called a 'rock slider' instead. It doubles as a step and protection for the Jeep's body.

I have these and they are really nice. It is the only way my kids can get in the Jeep.

http://www.aceengineeringandfab.com/...Door_p_15.html
2014: Wrangler#1 Father and oldest Son build and teach project
2016: Wrangler#2 Father and youngest Son build and teach project
Spike6901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2012, 11:42 AM   #3
bradg33

I won't be doing any even remotely serious wheeling. Maybe some mild stuff, but nothing that could really require protection like that.
bradg33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2012, 12:09 PM   #4
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

I use these (http://www.mountainoffroad.com/_e/Hi...ide_A_Step.htm) and am more than satisfied. The only complaint I have is that I wish I had bought them sooner.

JK Wrangler dash mount for Cellphones, GPS units, GoPro cameras, Spot devices etc.
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2012, 12:29 PM   #5
hammerstien
2010 JK Wrangler 

Steps don't belong on a jeep. If you hit even a decent trail you can kiss those babies goodbye. Throw some true rock rails on there n pick yourself up one of these

image-3148636749.jpg

I got one for the old lady. Works great an it's a good conversation piece at dinner parties. If you go to those kinda things
hammerstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2012, 12:42 PM   #6
WXman

If you are just using them for steps only, the factory ones are the best ones I have seen. Usually you can find them for sale in the classified section of this forum (or other Jeep forums). Many people take them off as soon as they get the Jeep.
'11 Mango Tango JKU Sport - Mods
'12 Dozer JKU Sport S - 6-speed - ACE rock rails - Max Tow package - Daystar spacers - 33x12.50 Duratracs
WXman is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2012, 10:27 PM   #7
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerstien View Post
Steps don't belong on a jeep. If you hit even a decent trail you can kiss those babies goodbye...
Not true with the ones Iím using.

JK Wrangler dash mount for Cellphones, GPS units, GoPro cameras, Spot devices etc.
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2012, 11:29 PM   #8
COLOUXJ
Web Wheeler
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradg33 View Post
I just bought a 2012 Wrangler Sport S and my (short) wife has insisted that I get step bars for it so she can get in and out easier. I'd like to get chrome tube-style steps. I've been eying these on Quadratec. Anyone have them, know if they are decent, for $190 (Rampage Products)?

Link: http://www.quadratec.com/products/12117_404_07.htm
If you are in my area I have OEM steps that I will be selling. All hardware included.
Mechanical Engineers Build weapons Civil Engineers build targets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberpyrot View Post
is it a plink plink kerrrrdunk? or more of a brrrrrconk doc doc miiiidge pang!!!? or is it a badonk ka donk? if it is the latter its just the normal fat *** of the JK

COLOUXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2012, 12:14 PM   #9
Butterbuddha
Fix it till its Broke!

2010 JK Wrangler 

Hey I actually HAVE the steps you are considering! (Well, mine are the black ones. But still) What are your plans for the Jeep? If you are going to lift it, they don't help too much. They are high and tight, as can be seen on the Quadra ad. Once you get your foot up that high its easier to just bypass the step altogether and put your foot in the heep. Stock height you are probably ok.

I bought mine cause I was putting on the lift and wanted *something* to make it easier to get in, and the black ones were the cheapest I could find. Didn't really help, though I think JKs look weird with nothing there. They do just fine on pavement and I doubt you will regret them.

If you go offroad, expect them to look like this:

By the way, the front comes to a straight end because the 35s totally catch on them and I had to chop them off. Super easy, but another consideration.
Rancho 4" Sport Suspension * Rancho RS9000XL Shocks * Rancho Front LCA Skids * EVO Rear LCA Skids * Yukon 5.13 Gears * Spartan Lockers * Groundpounder Fab Custom Rear Bumper & Tire Carrier * Smittybilt SRC Front Bumper * Warn VR8000 Winch * KC Apollo Series Fog Lights * KC Daylighter driving lights * Rampage Step Bars * Spidertrax 1.5" Wheel Spacers * Synergy D30 Sleeve * Synergy Inner C Gussets * Syngery HD Ball Joints * Synergy High Clearance Chromoly Tie Rod * Synergy High Steer Drag Link * JKS Monster Track bar * JKS Quick Disconnects * Rough Country Track Bar Relocation Bracket * RocKrawler High Clearance Front LCAs * Poison Spyder Bombshell Diff Covers * Reid Racing Knuckles * Black Rock 909s Wheels * Monstalined Interior * Cobra 75wx w/ CoolTech Mounts * Skid Row Engine Skid * Skid Row Evap Canister Skid * B&M Auxiliary Transmission Cooler * Tom Woods Driveshafts * Superchips * Viair 2on2 Onboard Air * Mopar Cruise Control * Ace Tubular Fenders * Fox Racing Steering Stab & Bracket * Bestop Soft Doors * MBRP Rock Crawler Exhaust * WarmSeats
Bright Silver Metallic Clear Coat Exterior Paint Club Member #104
Butterbuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2012, 07:49 PM   #10
JTPhoto
2008 JK Wrangler 

Look for a set of factory Sahara bars. They will suit you fine. Other wise if you're gonna spend $200+ you may as well get the rock slider bars with step. Way better protection for everyday DD as well as trail.
2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited. Auto, Tow pkg, Dual Tops, MyGig, Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, 35x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on Blackrock Viper Alloys, Flex-o-lite trans cooler, Mr Grille billet grille inserts, AEV Prem Bumper ETC.. AND a Locked and Lifted Honda Foreman for when the trails get real tight
JTPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2012, 08:06 PM   #11
JIMBOX
2008 JK Wrangler 

No problemo-

JIMBO
JIMBOX is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2012, 08:14 PM   #12
JTPhoto
2008 JK Wrangler 

Too fun Jim. I have the same little black stool that i keep under my passenger seat for my mother on the odd time I have to take her and my dad somewhere. My wife is too stubborn to use it so she crawls in.
2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited. Auto, Tow pkg, Dual Tops, MyGig, Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, 35x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on Blackrock Viper Alloys, Flex-o-lite trans cooler, Mr Grille billet grille inserts, AEV Prem Bumper ETC.. AND a Locked and Lifted Honda Foreman for when the trails get real tight
JTPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2012, 08:20 PM   #13
hammerstien
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMBOX
No problemo-

JIMBO
Dude I have that. It's awesome
Unread 09-05-2012, 08:37 PM   #14
JIMBOX
2008 JK Wrangler 

Aw shucks-

I thought that I was the only one that ever bought those contraptions !

--Congrads

JIMBO
JIMBOX is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2012, 08:47 PM   #15
hammerstien
2010 JK Wrangler 

I had to for the old lady. It's hysterical.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.