Side Rear Window issues on 2012 soft top - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Side Rear Window issues on 2012 soft top

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Oconee Offroad Sales Tech are Available To Help!Zone Offroad Body and Suspension Lift Kits, Brackets, Disc

Unread 06-21-2012, 08:27 AM   #1
NormUNC5
2012 JK Wrangler 

Side Rear Window issues on 2012 soft top

Having some issues with the soft top, side rear windows, and hoping somebody may have any insight...

it's a new, 2012 2dr wrangler sport, have only had it for 1,300 miles. However, the softtop window flaps won't stay secured when i close the doors, and flop around everytime i'm on the highway...

everything looks to be lined up correctly, and it's new so there isn't any structural damage to the frame (I hope.)...

anyone else have this problem, or any ideas what i can do to fix it?

Thanks in advance!!!!

NormUNC5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2012, 08:35 AM   #2
awinski
young & dumb

2012 JK Wrangler 

i have the same problem with my four door 2012, i have no idea how to fix it, but i did notice that it didn't start happening till i took the top down. maybe we both did something wrong putting it back up, although i don't think i did its possible
awinski is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2012, 08:54 AM   #3
SigMtnMan
2011 JK Wrangler 

If the 2012 is the same, you are supposed to put the L into the U channel. It sounds like you are just closing the door onto the L.

Check out starting at 4m:30s.

Unread 06-21-2012, 09:13 AM   #4
smcutter
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormUNC5 View Post
it's a new, 2012 2dr wrangler sport, have only had it for 1,300 miles. However, the softtop window flaps won't stay secured when i close the doors, and flop around everytime i'm on the highway...
Mine flopped around for the first 600 miles or so and I was even thinking of taking it back to the stealership to complain, but then it magically stopped. I'm at 13,000 miles on it now and it's not flapping too much.

More of a Tinkering Thread than a Build Thread (smcutter)

Colorado Jeep Club Member #302
Keep Calm and Chive On!
And for the record, I'm probably judging you for your bad grammar or spelling.
smcutter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2012, 09:50 AM   #5
Crimbshaw188
2012 JK Wrangler 

Are you folding the hard plastic piece on the front of the rear window into the channel in the door frame? Or are you just closing the door onto it.
Crimbshaw188 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2012, 09:57 AM   #6
paul84043
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimbshaw188 View Post
Are you folding the hard plastic piece on the front of the rear window into the channel in the door frame? Or are you just closing the door onto it.
This is my guess too. I think it's one of the most common problems with putting the top back on. I did it the first time myself.
Most people will not roll the attaching portion that hooks into the back of the door frame all the way around, leaving it loose.
paul84043 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2012, 07:34 AM   #7
NormUNC5
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimbshaw188 View Post
I try to fold it into the door frame before i close it, but it either won't stay at all, or slips out when i go above 50mph and have enough wind coming at me... it's driving me nuts haha
NormUNC5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2012, 12:24 PM   #8
ncb

You're not correctly snapping the plastic leading edge of the window into the slot on the door surround. I can cruise at 75 mph with out any window flappage.
ncb is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2012, 12:54 PM   #9
Ruffles
2010 JK Wrangler 

If you're still having trouble, watch the video as posted. I made the same rookie mistake the first few times and was going crazy. It fits nice and snug when properly seated in the frame.
Ruffles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2012, 01:03 PM   #10
Fellstar
2012 JK Wrangler 

Or post a picture of the front edge of your side window.
2012 Rubicon - ACE Eng. Rock Sliders, Rockhard4x4 Full Front Bumper, SmittyBilt XRC8, Level 8 Strike 5 16x8.5's wrapped in 315/75-16 Nitto Terra Grapplers, 3" Teraflex coil lift with shock adapters, Teraflex HD Tire Carrier Hinge, Teraflex Exhaust Spacers. 1/2" coil spacer up front, 3/4" coil spacer in the rear.
Fellstar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2012, 02:25 PM   #11
ncb

Here's what it should look like.
image-548622357.jpg  
Unread 06-23-2012, 10:01 AM   #12
awinski
young & dumb

2012 JK Wrangler 

i fixed it im just an idiot
awinski is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2012, 11:58 AM   #13
ncb

Schweet! No more flappage.
Unread 06-23-2012, 05:22 PM   #14
paul84043
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by awinski View Post
i fixed it im just an idiot
Good job, easy mistake to make.....
paul84043 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2012, 07:17 PM   #15
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormUNC5

I try to fold it into the door frame before i close it, but it either won't stay at all, or slips out when i go above 50mph and have enough wind coming at me... it's driving me nuts haha
If its in the track properly it can't possibly come out of that track with the door shut no matter how fast you drive. You can't even pull it out by hand. The door locks it in.
2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited. Auto, Tow pkg, Dual Tops, MyGig, Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, 35x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on Blackrock Viper Alloys, Flex-o-lite trans cooler, Mr Grille billet grille inserts, AEV Prem Bumper ETC.. AND a Locked and Lifted Honda Foreman for when the trails get real tight
JTPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
issues , problems , soft top problems , window instalation , windows

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.