Show us how you trimmed your flairs! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Show us how you trimmed your flairs!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 08-12-2010, 05:39 PM   #1
krutj
2009 JK Wrangler 

Show us how you trimmed your flairs!

New thread for the FAQ....

Post up the pics of your trimmed factory fenders. Add any advice or write up that you feel is appropriate.

We have looked and cannot find any threads dedicated to this subject and the pics are scattered throughout the forum.

Show your handywork, this thread will run for awhile, then be moved to the FAQ section. Thanks for your help.

Unread 08-12-2010, 09:49 PM   #2
JLC08JK
What was I thinking?

2008 JK Wrangler 

Let's see how badly you screwed up your fender flairs
I know that there are allot of you that have trimmed them and we just want to create a gallery of pic's and maybe some how-to pointers for others to use.
What did you do with the inner liner?
At what point do they become trashed?
Thanks
JLC08JK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2010, 10:01 PM   #3
Scooter_Trash
2007 JK Wrangler 

Trimmed with a jig saw with a metal blade. Tape the lines out first to what I thought would look good. Made a paper template of the right flare and flipped it over to do the left side. Finished off the edges with some 60 grit sandpaper and a block to get it smooth then used door edge trim to give it a clean look.

I never really liked the angle and point that some people do on the front so I cut it straight across. I then put an amber LED in the leftover hole as a side marker light.

As for the wheel well liner it just seemed obvious where to cut once I put it in. I drew lines on the liner so I'd know where to cut. The real problem is the back of the front liner near the fender (where the "Wrangler" is). I drilled a hole in the liner and zip tied it to an unused fender clip hole. Can't even tell it's there unless you are looking for it.

Scooter_Trash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2010, 10:07 PM   #4
perryhooah
2008 JK Wrangler 

Kinda like the idea, but would like to see one "finished" with the tires to fit. On stock suspension, after trimming the flares, I would like to see at least 35s (hint hint--more photos pls!)
Unread 08-12-2010, 10:10 PM   #5
JLC08JK
What was I thinking?

2008 JK Wrangler 

That looks great Scooter Trash
This is the first one I've seen on Sahara flairs!
Unread 08-12-2010, 10:15 PM   #6
Scooter_Trash
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by perryhooah View Post
Kinda like the idea, but would like to see one "finished" with the tires to fit. On stock suspension, after trimming the flares, I would like to see at least 35s (hint hint--more photos pls!)

Ummm, that is "finished". It's also on 33's with a leveling kit and is my DD. Why would I put 35's on when the 33's are getting me everywhere I need to on the trails, they weigh less, my MPG's are better and I don't have to re-gear from my 4.10's.

Oh, I know why. Because it "looks" better. I wheel it, I don't sit and stare at it in the driveway.
Unread 08-13-2010, 06:44 AM   #7
krutj
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter_Trash View Post
Ummm, that is "finished". It's also on 33's with a leveling kit and is my DD. Why would I put 35's on when the 33's are getting me everywhere I need to on the trails, they weigh less, my MPG's are better and I don't have to re-gear from my 4.10's.

Oh, I know why. Because it "looks" better. I wheel it, I don't sit and stare at it in the driveway.
Thanks for the post Scooter_Trash, I've been wondering how 33's would look.

Your fenders look great and so does your Jeep!

I imagine that cutting the painted Sahara fenders is a bit more tricky than the black plastic....sweet job

Are you running spacers? 33x12.50x17? Thanks....
Unread 08-13-2010, 04:57 PM   #8
Scooter_Trash
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by krutj View Post
Thanks for the post Scooter_Trash, I've been wondering how 33's would look.

Your fenders look great and so does your Jeep!

I imagine that cutting the painted Sahara fenders is a bit more tricky than the black plastic....sweet job

Are you running spacers? 33x12.50x17? Thanks....
Thanks. The painted flares aren't any harder to trim than the black ones. The paint never chipped once. Yeah, I've got spacers. My tires are a little over 11 1/2" wide and they rubbed on the sway bar.
Unread 08-13-2010, 05:36 PM   #9
krutj
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Thanks. The painted flares aren't any harder to trim than the black ones. The paint never chipped once. Yeah, I've got spacers. My tires are a little over 11 1/2" wide and they rubbed on the sway bar.
Heck, I'm used to that kinda stuff. You ain't a wheeler if something doesn't rub a little.

How's the rear bumper line up? I'm thinking that I'll bob mine a little bit.
Unread 08-13-2010, 05:50 PM   #10
fernjack
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Trimmed with a jig saw with a metal blade. Tape the lines out first to what I thought would look good. Made a paper template of the right flare and flipped it over to do the left side. Finished off the edges with some 60 grit sandpaper and a block to get it smooth then used door edge trim to give it a clean look.

I never really liked the angle and point that some people do on the front so I cut it straight across. I then put an amber LED in the leftover hole as a side marker light.

As for the wheel well liner it just seemed obvious where to cut once I put it in. I drew lines on the liner so I'd know where to cut. The real problem is the back of the front liner near the fender (where the "Wrangler" is). I drilled a hole in the liner and zip tied it to an unused fender clip hole. Can't even tell it's there unless you are looking for it.

That looks like it came out very nicely .....Kudos !
Any chance you could take a shot kinda inside and up to get a better look at the cut fender & inner ?
Thanks Scooter_Trash .... Looks great ....
07' Rubi Unlimited 6spd. , Rescue green #64 CDN , 35x12.5 mudders
Rick .
fernjack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2010, 05:59 PM   #11
djkbooth
2010 JK Wrangler 

trim them off all the way, go with tubes!, if you keep the factories and trim them you need to support them (fronts) or they are easily ripped/blown/knocked off being they are held on by plastic snaps, had one buddy have one fly off going down the highway and another fell off on the trail
djkbooth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2010, 06:12 PM   #12
JLC08JK
What was I thinking?

2008 JK Wrangler 

Those look good (djkbooth)
I like the rounded shape better than some of the others!
Warrior Products right?
How is the quality?
Unread 08-13-2010, 06:25 PM   #13
krutj
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by djkbooth View Post
trim them off all the way, go with tubes!, if you keep the factories and trim them you need to support them (fronts) or they are easily ripped/blown/knocked off being they are held on by plastic snaps, had one buddy have one fly off going down the highway and another fell off on the trail

Great Looking rig!

Good advice, I know that eventually, I may go w/tubes. The only thing about my JK that I kinda don't like is all the plastic.

However, since they are there, I'm going to try my hand at trimming first. I think that I may even get the nerve to bob off some of the rear bumper. I've been thinking on how to plug the hole....

If the weather holds, there's a good chance that I'll get my jigsaw and other butchering devices out tomorrow and go to it...

And when I'm done... Stay Tuned
Unread 08-13-2010, 07:41 PM   #14
SlvrJK08
2008 JK Wrangler 

Not the best pics of my trimmed flares but you get the idea. I did a very mild chop, just enough to clear my 33's at full flex. I used 1.5" painters tape to mark how much I wanted to cut off, used a set of tin snips to cut the fenders themselves and cut the inner fenders with a razor knife. The whole process was very straightforward, once you start tearing everything apart it's very easy to see where to cut. Finished of the edges with some black door edge trim that's available at most auto part stores. I will be installing full tube fenders in the future, when I make the jump to 35's...but for the time being the chopped stockers work great.

Unread 08-13-2010, 10:57 PM   #15
djkbooth
2010 JK Wrangler 

the warriors are very nice, and for the price I got all 4 for like 700 from rdmoffroad.com see link Warrior Products Rear Tube Flares (2007+ Jeep Wrangler JK)
I am very happy with the look and they are very stought!!! They added alot of clearance for 35s! I wasnt too fond of the powder coat (too shiny for me) so I did bedline them.

that sahara up top is the first cut painted fender I have seen it looks good, all my buddy put the door trim stuff on the edge of his plastic ones and they look good
djkbooth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.