Show off your JK nut sack - aftermarket and upgraded diff covers - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Show off your JK nut sack - aftermarket and upgraded diff covers

Trailing Arms!JK Vent Covers - NalinMFGComponent speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFG

Unread 04-12-2013, 04:40 PM   #1
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

Show off your JK nut sack - aftermarket and upgraded diff covers

Just got a Poison Spyder D44JK and D30 JK diff cover. In the process of prepping and installing.

Lets see pics and ideas of JK aftermarket diff covers and other diff cover mods! Posting pics as soon as they're done tomorrow!

Cheers!

SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2013, 04:44 PM   #2
Filthy-Beast
2006 LJ Wrangler 

did you paint the Spyder a different color?

[COLOR="red"][B]For Sale:[/B][/COLOR] [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f129/jk-4dr-black-painted-hard-top-1000-a-1541186/"][COLOR="Blue"]2013 4dr JK Painted black Hard Top[/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f127/jkur-18-59-springs-shocks-1557427/"][COLOR="Purple"]JKUR 18/59 springs and shocks[/COLOR][/URL]

[SIZE="1"][B]97 TJ:[/B] daughter 1 - 2.5L, Auto, 2" BB, 31" GY Duratrac
[B]98 TJ:[/B] Daugher 2 - 4.0L, 5spd, D44 rear
[B]06 LJ Rubicon:[/B] mine - Rokmen full up-armor, 8 adjustable CAs, front bumper, sliders, corners, Shrockworks rear bumper, 3" AEV/BDS lift, Currie HD stearing and Antirock, MT/r - k 35x12.5, SuperWinch, MC Overlines, York OBA
[B]13 JKU Rubicon:[/B] Wife's for now, Ace Rock rails & rear bumper tire carrier, Truck Lites, MC Game changer 3.5 lift, RR skids, PSC Brawler front bumper, Warn 9.5cti-s, 35" GY MTRs[/SIZE]
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2013, 08:41 PM   #3
Wavedatya
2010 JK Wrangler 

I thought about painting mine and was thinking of getting a stencil with "jeep" and painting on the dif cover . Cheesy? Yes lol.
OF4WD member #7523. Durham 4x4 member.
Wavedatya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2013, 09:06 PM   #4
HighandLow
Stay Frosty...

2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy-Beast View Post
did you paint the Spyder a different color?
That'd look pretty bad ***.
Unread 04-13-2013, 09:21 PM   #5
cdnroadwarrior
2012 JK Wrangler 

Not the best angle, but here is my rear G2 diff cover:
cdnroadwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2013, 06:43 AM   #6
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

Filling up the diffs, just realized how important it is to make sure that you add extra fluid with aftermarket diff covers on. They take a considerable more amount of oil than stock.
Unread 04-14-2013, 07:52 AM   #7
Silverton34
2012 JK Wrangler 

They don't really take any more than stock. Don't make the mistake of filling them to the bottom of the fill hole. If you want to put a little extra in to ensure the rotated upward pinion bearing is lubed limit the extra amount to four ounces.
Silverton34 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2013, 07:55 AM   #8
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

You definitely want to fill them to the stock level without over-filling that is for sure. However, the riddler-style covers definitely use more volume of oil than just a couple of ounces, even to stock fluid level. Coupled with the fact that the diff cover angle changes with variable lift heights as well.

BTW, no the covers are painted plain red with no 'fancy' spider... lol.
Unread 04-14-2013, 08:02 AM   #9
Silverton34
2012 JK Wrangler 

I can't see how the riddler covers change the lube volume, aren't they the same size?
Unread 04-14-2013, 08:11 AM   #10
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

Unless you're in competition, you don't need any more fluid than the D44/D30 design--

Even knowing that, I increase the volume by filling each diff, using the driveway angle--adds a couple OZs, no biggee

Use a top SYN, the amount is satisfactory anywho !

JIMBO
JIMBOX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2013, 09:19 AM   #11
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverton34 View Post
I can't see how the riddler covers change the lube volume, aren't they the same size?

Nope, stock cover sticks out about an inch-or-so past the flange with a stamped section for clearance for the ring gear. However, the Riddler cover bevels out from the flange along the entire perimeter, making a bowl shape - so I'd say the cover itself could hold a liter of gear oil if you sat it on the floor and filled it up! My concern is that if you put the standard 2.26L gear oil in the D44JK, the fluid level wouldn't be high as stock levels because of the extra volume that the cover takes up, so I'd say that you'd have to add a few more ounces. The biggest concern is as long as the fluid level is getting out to the axle bearings on the rear, I suppose.

- Edit - doing some research and the manufacturers say that stock fluid levels should be OK. I'll have to investigate further!
Unread 04-14-2013, 09:30 AM   #12
Silverton34
2012 JK Wrangler 

So how many extra ounces did you use?
Unread 04-14-2013, 10:08 AM   #13
ncb

Anyone have the Teraflex cover?
ncb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2013, 10:09 AM   #14
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

About 4-6 extra ounces brought me to axle tube level, bringing the total to 2.4 liters or 2.6 quarts (stock requires 2.375 quarts). I'm sure that the stock amount wasn't enough I don't think, especially where the axle is rotated due to the lift. I won't have any problems with being over-filled - I could probably add a wee bit more. My concern would be that the rear axle bearings got some oil. Another consideration is that I now have an ARB locker in the rear, which also takes up more volume than the open carrier I had prior to the re-gear I'd imagine. So many variables have changed, but it is certainly interesting.

Also note that before I got the aftermarket covers, I could not put stock levels of fluid in my diff due to the lift-induced axle rotation (caster) and the fill port being below the fluid level. I had to park on an incline or jack it up to get the stock fluid levels in. While poking around and scratching my head, I got to use my probe-camera for the first time since my middle child clogged the toilet with a tooth-brush. Pretty handy.
Unread 04-14-2013, 12:48 PM   #15
CJsPerson
2008 JK Wrangler 

I off road because I have a Jeep. I don't have a Jeep because I off road. Above all my Jeep is a convertible. That's where my love is for the brand ...convertible overkill
CJsPerson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.