Should I install new bumper & new winch together? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Should I install new bumper & new winch together?

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.c

Unread 05-10-2014, 10:34 AM   #16
JohnnyWhitehead
2011 JK Wrangler 

I was actually looking at the mid length crusader.

Rubicons have an electronic sway bar disconnect.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

Unread 05-10-2014, 12:05 PM   #17
nathanmilsaps
2012 JK Wrangler 

The pictures on the jcr website show a recessed bumper.
I have a rubicon and mine works fine.
I bought the JCR lower skid plate also though to protect the disconnect.
nathanmilsaps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2014, 08:58 AM   #18
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanmilsaps View Post
The instructions on the JCR website say the opposite. Says to install them all together.

I'm sure it's just a matter of preference with this bumper.
The people who make the bumper also make the instructions. SO it quite likely the instructions they provide are the correct method.

I have a novel idea. Rather than ask a forum and wade through a huge debate - by the time the forum has cooled, the bumper could have been installed taken off and reinstalled twice - by following the directions.

But direction following is a matter of preference...
Unread 05-11-2014, 09:50 PM   #19
wilgeno
Bug-Out!

2013 JK Wrangler 

I just installed my Warn Elite bumper last weekend. If it were not for my ATV/Motorcycle lift I would not have got it mounted on my own. Using an ATV lift or floor jack of some type (with wood blocking) can help with holding the bumper up while you get the first bolts in place.

Bug-Out! http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/b...build-1568531/

I don't always go topless, but when I do I go Commando!
wilgeno is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2014, 09:19 AM   #20
nathanmilsaps
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmbishop View Post
The people who make the bumper also make the instructions. SO it quite likely the instructions they provide are the correct method.

I have a novel idea. Rather than ask a forum and wade through a huge debate - by the time the forum has cooled, the bumper could have been installed taken off and reinstalled twice - by following the directions.

But direction following is a matter of preference...
Wow. Thanks for the input.

Actually, since you are posting on my old thread from back in March. I could have installed per directions from the manufacturer's website, taken it off, installed per directions from the manufacturer's rep, taken it off, installed per directions in my own head, taken it off, had you come over and installed it for me.

I guess assuming is a matter of preference for you...

No matter, it's INSTALLED by now.
nathanmilsaps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2014, 04:33 PM   #21
67alecto
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanmilsaps View Post
The instructions on the JCR website say the opposite. Says to install them all together.
The instructions for the Rugged Ridge XHD say the same, and it's lies. LIES! I tell you.

Installed together, you're looking at around 170 lbs to man-handle onto the frame. I did that, and managed to get it on by myself (thanks farmer's carry/deadlifts!).

However, I later found out that the ground wire - conveniently located on the bottom of the winch between the bumper and the winch itself (/sarcasm) - came loose.

Resigned to taking it off again, I got under the jeep and then noticed that all of the bolts for the winch were easily accessible. As a result, I loosened all of the bolts, and then I had my 11-year old son hold up a corner while I reattached the ground wire.

Long story short, walk through the instructions without actually installing it and decide if you have to attach it before or if it would be easier to do it after - especially if you're working solo.
TF Leveling kit, Rugged Ridge XHD front bumper, Rugged Ridge 8,500lb winch, Rugged Ridge Dual Tube Bumper (rear), 16x8 Procomp 7069 with 305/70R16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, Windshield KC HiLites, ACE Rock Sliders, ARB compressor, Yukon Zip locker (rear)
67alecto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.