Should I install new bumper & new winch together? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Should I install new bumper & new winch together?

Dana 30/ Dana 44 Chromoly shaft Kits- ECGSFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201

Unread 03-04-2014, 09:26 AM   #1
nathanmilsaps
2012 JK Wrangler 

Should I install new bumper & new winch together?

Just getting people's opinions and the reasoning behind it....

Just got my new JCR bumper painted and ready to install. The new Engo winch w/ steel wire is in the box ready to go too.
So what's the easiest way to do this? Should I...
Mount the winch onto the bumper first, then install everything as one?
Or should I install the bumper, then mount the winch?

The bumper isn't the lightest thing. With the winch on it, it's definitely not going to be light!

Any tips on the install?

nathanmilsaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2014, 09:38 AM   #2
MudDuck99
2014 JK Wrangler 

i would mount the winch to the bumper, then set both onto jeep. Any extra hand would make it easier. I had my wife in the garage helping me.

If you mount the bumper to the jeep first, it can make it a real pain trying to get the winch lined up to the mounting holes. Add limited work space in to the equation; You're going to have a bad time.
MudDuck99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2014, 09:41 AM   #3
Lenny7
2008 JK Wrangler 

I did my bumper, then my winch. I bought my bumper a few months before the winch. It's a full sunken winch bumper and it was zero problems.
Lenny7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2014, 09:59 AM   #4
BManz
2011 WK 

Mount the winch to the bumper first; I'd say it's easier to ensure proper spec if you have unfettered access to the underside of the bumper when adding the winch, but not all access is the same for all bumpers. JCR is good stuff -- let's see some pics!
BManz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2014, 10:11 AM   #5
nathanmilsaps
2012 JK Wrangler 

The only pic I have on this phone...
At first I painted it with Rustoleum Hammertone Black (which is more like charcoal grey), you can see this on the brackets. I would have had to repaint a lot of stuff on my jeep to match with the bumper color. No thanks.
So I covered it with Rustoleum Satin Black. I like how it looks now.

I hung it up with my hard top hoist. Worked out perfect.
img_5264.jpg

Unread 03-04-2014, 11:20 AM   #6
XTRyan
ExtremeTerrain.com

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanmilsaps View Post
Just getting people's opinions and the reasoning behind it....

Just got my new JCR bumper painted and ready to install. The new Engo winch w/ steel wire is in the box ready to go too.
So what's the easiest way to do this? Should I...
Mount the winch onto the bumper first, then install everything as one?
Or should I install the bumper, then mount the winch?

The bumper isn't the lightest thing. With the winch on it, it's definitely not going to be light!

Any tips on the install?
I've used an adjustable height stool on casters when installing bumpers in the past. Another option would be an engine hoist, but not everyone has one of those either!

If you can get to the winch bolts with the bumper on, do one at a time, if not you're kind of stuck installing the winch on the bumper and putting them on the Jeep as a package. Good Luck!

-Ryan
EARN UP TO $200 TOWARD YOUR NEXT PURCHASE!
PM me for our JeepForum Discount Code (must have 25 posts) or Price-Matching!
GET YOUR FREE JEEP PARTS CATALOG!
XTRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2014, 03:52 AM   #7
brimy311
Vendor
JeepForum 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate

Install the bumper, then install the winch. That's the easiest way! Be sure to post pics of Mauler when it's installed!
~Brian

Like us on Facebook for up to date product updates and specials!
Follow us on Twitter!
brimy311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2014, 04:13 AM   #8
MyJKU14
14JKUOrange

2014 JK Wrangler 

Having just installed a bumper on the LJ and a separate winch on my JKU, I found it exponentially easier to install the winch on the bumper first. It all comes down to the bumper and winch you have though I guess. It was a PITA to get the winch on the bumper after it was installed because of the way everything lined up. Even with my small girl hands we had a difficult time.

Colorado Jeep Club #281

Past Jeeps: '02 WJ Overland, '02 WJ Limited, '08 KK Sport
MyJKU14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2014, 08:09 AM   #9
nathanmilsaps
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brimy311 View Post
Install the bumper, then install the winch. That's the easiest way!
The instructions on the JCR website say the opposite. Says to install them all together.

I'm sure it's just a matter of preference with this bumper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTRyan View Post
I've used an adjustable height stool on casters when installing bumpers in the past. Another option would be an engine hoist, but not everyone has one of those either!
I could use my hard top hoist to suspend it in the position it needs to be, then just slide it in and bolt it up. I may just try that if all else fails.

I talked to another member who installed the Crusader. He said without the lower skid plate it was easy enough to get underneath to mount the winch.

Thanks to everyone who commented and offered advice. And Lenny7, hopefully I will only hit rocks with this bumper.
Unread 03-05-2014, 08:16 AM   #10
awinski
2012 JK Wrangler 

IT DEPENDS ON THE BUMPER! some are easier one way, some are easier the other.... if you're going to have room to move a wrench around after the install, don't bother with putting the winch on first. if you won't, then attach the winch first. simple as that
Unread 03-05-2014, 11:58 AM   #11
DesertPete
2010 JK Wrangler 

When I changed out the stock bumper on my 2010 JK for a high clearance model from Best Top, I liked the fact that the bumper instructions said to mate the winch to the bumper before installing it on the Jeep. That told me it wouldn't be easy for someone to steal the winch later. As you probably know, once you remove your stock bumper there are eight pins at the factory attach points--four on each side. The lightweight bumper gets pretty heavy with the winch on board (I used a 10k winch) and you will need to hold it in place against the pins while adding the nuts. Three people could do it. But the easy way is to use a motorcycle or ATV lift. Assemble the bumper and winch on the two rails of the lift, then gently raise it into position and slide the bumper mounting holes over the pins. Lock the lift in place (so it can't lower on its own), then take your time installing the nuts. I think my lift cost around $80 at Harbor Freight. You can later put a piece of plywood on it and use it as an adjustable table for all sorts of projects. They are handy things to have.
DesertPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2014, 06:39 PM   #12
MudDuck99
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertPete View Post
When I changed out the stock bumper on my 2010 JK for a high clearance model from Best Top, I liked the fact that the bumper instructions said to mate the winch to the bumper before installing it on the Jeep. That told me it wouldn't be easy for someone to steal the winch later. As you probably know, once you remove your stock bumper there are eight pins at the factory attach points--four on each side. The lightweight bumper gets pretty heavy with the winch on board (I used a 10k winch) and you will need to hold it in place against the pins while adding the nuts. Three people could do it. But the easy way is to use a motorcycle or ATV lift. Assemble the bumper and winch on the two rails of the lift, then gently raise it into position and slide the bumper mounting holes over the pins. Lock the lift in place (so it can't lower on its own), then take your time installing the nuts. I think my lift cost around $80 at Harbor Freight. You can later put a piece of plywood on it and use it as an adjustable table for all sorts of projects. They are handy things to have.
I would think it would still take the same amount of effort.
MudDuck99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2014, 06:54 PM   #13
nathanmilsaps
2012 JK Wrangler 

I decided to do them separately. Bumper first, winch second, skid plate third. Pretty simple and manageable by myself. JCR's bumper system makes it easy.
I would have needed help with lifting of some sort if I mounted the winch first.
The only thing I would of done different is connecting the negative/black wire before mounting the winch. Mine was between the winch plate and the winch, about 1/2" of room.
Unread 05-10-2014, 05:57 AM   #14
JohnnyWhitehead
2011 JK Wrangler 

Does the winch mount down into the bumper or does it sit on top? I considering either the JCR or a Metal Cloak bumper. The MC bumper allows winch to sit down lower and also allows to adjust Edisconnect up higher than stock location. Do you know if this can be done with the JCR?

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Unread 05-10-2014, 06:17 AM   #15
nathanmilsaps
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyWhitehead View Post
Does the winch mount down into the bumper or does it sit on top? I considering either the JCR or a Metal Cloak bumper. The MC bumper allows winch to sit down lower and also allows to adjust Edisconnect up higher than stock location. Do you know if this can be done with the JCR?

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Just depends on which JCR bumper you choose. I have the mauler and yes, it does have a recessed winch plate. But some JCR bumpers aren't recessed.
I'm not sure what you mean by Edisconnect.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.