shocks to long question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > shocks to long question

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-19-2014, 10:18 PM   #1
bikkerdude
2007 JK Wrangler 

shocks to long question

Hey guys

So I recently got a good deal on some used teraflex shocks. I was told they are for a 2-4" lift. Well I got them home and they are for 6" of lift. ( I looked up the part number)

I have a 07 JKU 2.5" teraflex lift with shock extensions.

The 6" shock are significantly longer. 32" when extended.
my shock shocks with extensions are 25.5" when extended.

Can I still use theses or am shiz out of luck??

Thanks for any input.

Unread 01-19-2014, 10:33 PM   #2
JLC08JK
What was I thinking?

2008 JK Wrangler 

The compressed length is what's important to match. You can add bump stop extensions if they are a little longer than your old ones though this is at the price of loosing up travel.
The other problem you may run into is the extra extended length may allow your springs to fall out if allowed to fully extend.
The only real way to know if they will work is with careful measurements of the full travel of your suspension.
Good luck
JLC08JK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2014, 11:04 PM   #3
bikkerdude
2007 JK Wrangler 

Thanks JKC08JK

So the collapsed length is:

Teraflex 6" lift shocks 19"

Stock w/ extensions is 16.5"
Unread 01-20-2014, 09:41 AM   #4
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

those shocks need ay least 3" bump stops. i would think . To much drop can damage the drive shaft as well. BE VERY sure everything works.

Bumps stops are for two reasons:stop the up travel from bottoming out the shock or to keep the tire from rubbing. what ever happens first.

Down travel is stopped by the SHOCKS, unless you have limit straps. so these long shocks will let the suspension drop to a place it my not be happy.

6" lift shocks are for long arm country, just to much drop for Jk arms. especialy the rear
Unread 01-20-2014, 10:16 AM   #5
SLADE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Stock shocks are 14.5" compressed and about a 15.5" compressed shock is all you want on stock bump stops. So you'll need every bit of 3" of bump stop. On top of that, I'm sure your coils are not long enough to support a 32" extended shock.

For the rear, you could relocate your upper mounts to allow for a longer compressed shock without limiting your travel with bump stops. Synergy has a bolt on bracket just for that.
2001 Dodge Ram 2500
SLADE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
shock absorber , shock length , shocks , teraflex

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.