Shock Adapters - How Tall? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Shock Adapters - How Tall?

Engo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 LumYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 09-13-2008, 09:19 PM   #1
scrogg
2007 JK Wrangler 

Shock Adapters - How Tall?

I know that there are several of you out there that have purchased a budget boost that came with adapters for the shocks in lieu of buying new shocks. Does anyon who has them, or even who doesn't, that knows how tall they are?

For example, the 2.5" TeraFlex BB that has them, did they compensate for the full 2.5" of height gain? How sturdy/strong would you say they are? Do you trust them for off roading?

Last edited by scrogg; 09-13-2008 at 09:48 PM..
scrogg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2008, 12:56 PM   #2
SoCalJK
2007 JK Wrangler 

I have the RC budget boost and the shock extenders were the full 2.5 inches. I've done a fair amount of off roading including the Jeep Jamboree with them and had no problems at all. Very happy with the kit. When I've the cash I'll put on other shocks and dump the extensions.
Unread 09-14-2008, 06:41 PM   #3
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

Unless you are on a very tight budget, get better shocks. Look at the size of the stockers compared to any decent aftermarket ones.
Unread 09-14-2008, 06:48 PM   #4
BirdsFanVa
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prot View Post
Unless you are on a very tight budget, get better shocks. Look at the size of the stockers compared to any decent aftermarket ones.
x2.

If there is any week link in the Tera BB, it is the rear shock extenders IMO.
07 Black Sahara Unlimited 2.5" Skyjacker suspension lift, RE quick discos, 3/4" front spacers, 16x8 soft 8's, BFG 33x12.50's MT's, Shrockworks rock rails. Bulldog rock crawler winch bumper, Warn M8000 and lot's of armor! (Mine)

08 Redrock X Unlimited (Hers)

http://www.novajeepers.com
BirdsFanVa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2008, 07:10 PM   #5
scrogg
2007 JK Wrangler 

I am mostly concerned about the front. Allow me to explain (takes a deep breath)...

I have a 4" lift along with a set of ACOS Pros up front that give me an overall 7.5" of suspension lift from the stock height. When one side of the front axle is drooped/extended I have to limit the droop to point where the shock gets pulled into the frame. I could still go another 3.5" until I get limited by the sway bar and link, which is where I wanna be. The further vertically down that one side goes, the further under the vehicle it goes as well. This then pulls the shock body into the frame and would bend it if not limited.

I am thinking that if I can lower the top of the shock, then at the point of droop when the shock body would have hit the frame (prior to being lowered) it would now be lower than the frame and allow me to get that extra 3.5" of available droop before being limited by the sway bar and link.

If that made any sense then tell me what ya'll think. And if you have any other ideas please share. I could always move the lower factory mount outward about 3/4", but I was hoping to not have to pay someone to cut and weld.

(*edit)
Not sure if this will matter but if I remove the shock and disconnect the sway bar, then the axle will droop well beyond what I was able to measure in the driveway using jack stands and removing the tire/wheel. The limit there would be however far the control arms would let it drop. Of course, the brake line and ABS wiring would be ripped apart by then.

Last edited by scrogg; 09-14-2008 at 07:51 PM..
scrogg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.