Shock absorber recommendations? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Shock absorber recommendations?

Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!Flowmaster Overstock: Special Holiday Pricing!!!!

Unread 07-25-2010, 09:58 AM   #1
drewster37
2007 JK Wrangler 

Shock absorber recommendations?

Have a 2007 Wrangler unlimited 4 door with what feels like very squishy shocks.

I'm looking to replace the shocks with some that will firm up the ride somewhat but not make it jarring or teeth rattling.

No lift installed and don't plan on installing one any time soon.

Any adjustable versions available?

Thanks!

drewster37 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2010, 10:12 AM   #2
skivviss
2010 JK Wrangler 

OME and Bilstein are usually the most recommended that i've seen.

I got the bilsteins, so much better then the stock ones.
skivviss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2010, 11:45 AM   #3
SoCalJK
2007 JK Wrangler 

I have found the Skyjackers a little too hard for a DD. Like the Rough Country Nitros.
Unread 07-25-2010, 01:43 PM   #4
Purdo

When I ordered my 1988 Sahara, I opted for the "off-road suspension", which came with... Bilstein shocks!
Purdo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2010, 01:51 PM   #5
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Why not just get some Rubi shocks that someone has replaced when they lifted their Jeep? You could get them for next to nothing and too me anyway they’re one of the best-tuned shocks I’ve ever had.
1222 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2010, 01:52 PM   #6
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

My '08 JKU is lifted so I don't know that RS makes shocks for the stock jeep, but

I have the RS9000XL (adj) shocks and they run from medium to STIFF, with the turn of a knob

I had the stock (still have ) rubi shocks and they are very good for all around driving, but not as good as the RS shocks

I'm afraid they are expensive, but they're on sale every now and then, I paid $400 bucks forem !!

JIMBO
JIMBOX is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2010, 08:45 AM   #7
peenkfloeed
2008 JK Wrangler 

I just put on Bilstein 5100's last week and I was really surprised with how the ride quality improved. I highly recommend switching/upgrading to these.
peenkfloeed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2010, 09:01 AM   #8
juiceparn
2007 JK Wrangler 

I just put on the RE 3.5 kit and thought Id save a little by getting the teraflex shocks. Big mistake, they actually let the jeep bounce as I went around corners. They felt very soft and lacked control. I took them off and sent them back and got the Rubicon Express Monotubes and it made all the difference in the world. So that's 1 more vote for Bilsteins as they make the RE shocks. I actually just looked for the best deal on either on of the two as they are the same thing.
Unread 07-26-2010, 03:15 PM   #9
drewster37
2007 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the suggestions folks. I've always liked Bilstein ever since I had them on my VW.

Local tire shop wants to sell me some KYB Monomax shocks. Anyone run these on their 4 door JK?

A side question: this same tire shop essentially refused to install any shocks I did not buy from them. Is this normal? They claim warranty and liability issues. I was thinking I could save quite a bit of money buying them online.
Unread 07-26-2010, 03:23 PM   #10
juiceparn
2007 JK Wrangler 

I wouldn't pay to have someone put them on. This is one of the simplest things you can do. You just need a couple wrenches for the bottom mounts and a little patience for the top mounts in the front. I don't want boots on my shocks so putting on the fronts was easy to do, with the boot I don't know how you would hold the piston from spinning when putting on the nut. In the Bilsteins/Rubicon Express the boot makes it too slick to hold by hand and there is not a flat spot above the threads to hold?
Unread 07-26-2010, 08:23 PM   #11
Warlord2
2007 JK Wrangler 

coilovers!
07 JK 2D X model with 6 speeds. Full Traction 3" ultimate lift kit. 315x75x16 Toyo Open Country M/T on Rock crawler procomp rim. Ruby dana44's front sleeved inside/outside C truss and rear with 5.13's gears. Homemade rock guards, rear bumper w/tire carrier, oilpan/tranny skid, evap canister skid, light bar, switch pod. Riddler diff covers, Cobra 75 w/wilson antenna, Polk speakers, 10" sub, 2x Amps, Lightforce 240 drive light, backup lights, rock lights.
Warlord2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2010, 09:41 PM   #12
fernjack
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewster37 View Post
Thanks for the suggestions folks. I've always liked Bilstein ever since I had them on my VW.

Local tire shop wants to sell me some KYB Monomax shocks. Anyone run these on their 4 door JK?

A side question: this same tire shop essentially refused to install any shocks I did not buy from them. Is this normal? They claim warranty and liability issues. I was thinking I could save quite a bit of money buying them online.
KYB are good if you can get them for a JK . I know lots of people who run them on thier beemers and love em' ....comprable to Bilstein . Although I think the Bilstein are probably better ...... IMO.
07' Rubi Unlimited 6spd. , Rescue green #64 CDN , 35x12.5 mudders
Rick .
fernjack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2010, 02:35 AM   #13
drewster37
2007 JK Wrangler 

Looks like my local tire shop doesn't know what they're selling. They KYB's they quoted me are actually the Gas-A-Just model (based on the part number they gave me) rather than the heavier duty Monomax, but they call them Monomax nonetheless.

I'll probably just pick up the Bilstein heavy duty shocks and steering stabilizer and slap them in myself. Rear installation appears to be a no-brainer and the fronts are just tight quarters around the top mount (unless I'm missing something). Just gotta pay rent for my buddy's garage and tools in the form of beer for the garage-fridge for the next Jeep Wrenchin' Party he's hosting.

Tags
JK Wrangler , recommendation , shock absorber , shocks , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.