Shifter Problems Anyone? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Shifter Problems Anyone?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOfficial Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto UnFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 07-10-2010, 06:02 AM   #1
PSYCH0
2009 JK Wrangler 

Shifter Problems Anyone?

Had shifter problems this week... It's an automatic and it won't go into any gear... when you try to put it in park it grinds...

the 4x4 lever just floats back and forth as well...

Anyone have this issue?

Unread 07-10-2010, 06:40 AM   #2
mandalayjim
2008 JK Wrangler 

Sounds like a warranty issue with the transfer case. Had mine replaced because it was very diffulcult to engage the trandfer case after towing with the motorhome.
mandalayjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2010, 07:09 AM   #3
PSYCH0
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandalayjim View Post
Sounds like a warranty issue with the transfer case. Had mine replaced because it was very diffulcult to engage the trandfer case after towing with the motorhome.
Dealer called today and said its a bushing that went bad in the shifter... but why would both the gear shifter and 4x4 shifter not work... are they connected?
Unread 07-10-2010, 07:15 AM   #4
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

With the t-case being stuck in neutral, the transmission is free to spin because it is no longer connected to the drive train. That's why it grinds when you try to put it in park.
ronjenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2010, 07:26 AM   #5
PSYCH0
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjenx View Post
With the t-case being stuck in neutral, the transmission is free to spin because it is no longer connected to the drive train. That's why it grinds when you try to put it in park.
That part I understand... but why the 4x4 shifter is free flowing back and forth I dont...
Unread 07-10-2010, 07:52 AM   #6
azxr
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSYCH0 View Post
That part I understand... but why the 4x4 shifter is free flowing back and forth I dont...
Because the cheap 25 cents plastic piece they use to connect the cable to the transfer case. Very common for it to break; most likely when it is the most inconvenient.

Do a search and you will see it is very common.
Unread 07-10-2010, 07:56 AM   #7
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSYCH0 View Post
OK.

I was answering your question regarding why BOTH shifters don't work.
ronjenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2010, 08:06 AM   #8
PSYCH0
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjenx View Post
OK.

I was answering your question regarding why BOTH shifters don't work.
OK now I understand! Thanks!
Unread 07-10-2010, 08:13 AM   #9
owenswj
2007 JK Wrangler 

Just got mine out of the shop for the same issue. A cheap plastic piece broke. They had to ziptie it for the time being until the connector came in. It worked fine with the ziptie. Maybe you could try that?
owenswj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2010, 08:30 AM   #10
PSYCH0
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenswj View Post
Just got mine out of the shop for the same issue. A cheap plastic piece broke. They had to ziptie it for the time being until the connector came in. It worked fine with the ziptie. Maybe you could try that?
Had it towed to the dealer on Friday... they can have it there til they get the part in... hopefully Monday... let them do the recalls on it too while it's there...

Tags
Wrangler , JK Wrangler , Shifter , Automatic , Transfercase , Malfunction

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.