Severe Power Loss - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Severe Power Loss

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueBlack Friday SALE! Up to 20% off at Diode Dynamics!

Unread 11-09-2010, 08:16 PM   #16
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

OK, then you obviously flashed the ECM with the 5.13 diff gearsetting, thats what I've done and mine works perfect !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthomp83 View Post
i set the procal module for the appropriate tire size which supposedly fixed the speedo, odo, and adjusted the automatic transmission shift points

i tested the speeds with my gps and they seem to be reading correctly

i think that my next upgrade will be gears....
Sorry, I can't say much more

JIMBO

JIMBOX is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2010, 08:24 PM   #17
MacK
Web Wheeler

2010 JK Wrangler 

Get manual
I don't want your d**n lemons! What the hell are these?! Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN!

Mango Tango 2010 JK Wrangler Rubicon
Silver 2000 TJ Wrangler Sport
---
Quote:
The 2008 Jeep Wrangler is not so much an SUV as it is an experience. It's slow and loud, handles poorly, has crummy interior materials and features doors that provide virtually no crash protection. But when it comes to off-road performance, the Wrangler is simply the best choice available.
MacK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2010, 08:25 PM   #18
mthomp83
2010 JK Wrangler 

ok i didn't change any of the gear ratio's first of all, and i'm pretty sure that would not be beneficial in this situation to change the gear ratio in the computer to something that it is not
2010 JK Rubicon - Flame Red - 3.5" AEV Premium Suspension Lift w/ Bilstein 5100 Shocks, 17" AEV Savegre Wheels, 35x12.50 r17 BFG KM2's - Rugged Ridge XHD Modular Front Bumper w/ 10,500lb Winch - Rugged Ridge XHD Rear Bumper w/ Swing Out Tire Carrier - Poison Spyder JK Evap Skid Plate - KC Slimlite Long Range
mthomp83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2010, 08:25 PM   #19
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Going up steep grades even with 35ís and 5.13ís suck. Itís just a fact of life for the JK. Since you still have 4.10ís itís no wonder you experience what you do. Driving around town will tell you nothing. Itís head winds and moderate to steep grades where youíll learn just how inadequate your combination is. Re-gear if you want to be somewhat happy.
Unread 11-09-2010, 08:31 PM   #20
mthomp83
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1222 View Post
Going up steep grades even with 35ís and 5.13ís suck. Itís just a fact of life for the JK. Since you still have 4.10ís itís no wonder you experience what you do. Driving around town will tell you nothing. Itís head winds and moderate to steep grades where youíll learn just how inadequate your combination is. Re-gear if you want to be somewhat happy.
thank you for the response, the hill grades were about 20-25% so it was pretty steep, not much wind though
2010 JK Rubicon - Flame Red - 3.5" AEV Premium Suspension Lift w/ Bilstein 5100 Shocks, 17" AEV Savegre Wheels, 35x12.50 r17 BFG KM2's - Rugged Ridge XHD Modular Front Bumper w/ 10,500lb Winch - Rugged Ridge XHD Rear Bumper w/ Swing Out Tire Carrier - Poison Spyder JK Evap Skid Plate - KC Slimlite Long Range
Unread 11-09-2010, 08:32 PM   #21
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

Well, this is my last entry, I told you to that I set mine at 5.13 gears-that fools the computer and thats what AEV TELLS YOU TO DO !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthomp83 View Post
ok i didn't change any of the gear ratio's first of all, and i'm pretty sure that would not be beneficial in this situation to change the gear ratio in the computer to something that it is not
My Auto shifts better now with big tires than it did STOCK !!

Good luck

JIMBO
JIMBOX is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2010, 08:41 PM   #22
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMBOX View Post
Well, this is my last entry... JIMBO
Promise.
Unread 11-09-2010, 08:46 PM   #23
mthomp83
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1222 View Post
Promise.
god i hope so
Unread 11-10-2010, 07:22 AM   #24
Charles
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul84043 View Post
I'm in Utah, 4300(ish) ft, so to me high elevation is 11000, to 14000 ft (Guardsmans pass). We have property at 8000 and I've never noticed any loss at all in any injected vehicle driven there, or anywhere up to the approx 10,500 that we encounter hunting.....I really wonder if there's not something else going on....
Well, there aren't any roads at 14,000 ft in Utah. We have one two of them in Colorado. Guardsman is 9,700 ft above sea-lvl and from what I can tell the speed limit there is somewhere around 45 mph. You're not going to notice power loss until you really get the brick moving. The energy required to move the vehicle exponentially increases above 55 MPH.

Fuel injection vs. carbureration has nothing to do with the power loss. Infact, fuel injection may make it worse. Since there is in the neighborhood of 30% less air at 11,000 ft (I'll stick with the math I calculated) the vehicle injects 30% less fuel to keep a good air fuel mixture. This is the whole reason turbo chargers were invented. Albeit on airplanes because of their power loss at altitude.

So, while you may not have noticed the power loss it is certainly there.
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2010, 03:54 PM   #25
Washi
Rockbiter

2009 JK Wrangler 

I NOTICED IT! Or not. After stepping out of my TJ w/3.07's, my Rubi feels like a rocket! Driving the passes here in Utah and Washington.
Washi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2010, 04:20 PM   #26
paul84043
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbloyer81 View Post
Well, there aren't any roads at 14,000 ft in Utah. We have one two of them in Colorado. Guardsman is 9,700 ft above sea-lvl and from what I can tell the speed limit there is somewhere around 45 mph. You're not going to notice power loss until you really get the brick moving. The energy required to move the vehicle exponentially increases above 55 MPH.

Fuel injection vs. carbureration has nothing to do with the power loss. Infact, fuel injection may make it worse. Since there is in the neighborhood of 30% less air at 11,000 ft (I'll stick with the math I calculated) the vehicle injects 30% less fuel to keep a good air fuel mixture. This is the whole reason turbo chargers were invented. Albeit on airplanes because of their power loss at altitude.

So, while you may not have noticed the power loss it is certainly there.
You're right, I whiffed it big time, I think one part of Guardsmans gets to 11,400. I've been over the dirt portion twice on a carbuereted street bike...no picnic.
I've still never personally suffered any noticeable loss of power at even 10,000 ft with an injected vehicle. Maybe just never got into the right circumstances...
paul84043 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2010, 09:18 PM   #27
rirrgang
2007 JK Wrangler 

I've never had power loss, mine been lacking since new. Am I missing something?
Unread 11-10-2010, 09:35 PM   #28
jsebastian
2010 JK Wrangler 

Turn overdrive off. Helps a little. I've gotten used to driving in the truck lane

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/jsebastian/wrangler
jsebastian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2010, 09:50 PM   #29
mthomp83
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rirrgang View Post
I've never had power loss, mine been lacking since new. Am I missing something?
touche my friend, touche
Unread 11-11-2010, 10:36 AM   #30
jpacosta
2011 JK Wrangler 

Mthomp im currently in ATL and been up alot to the National Forest where did you experience these problems?
jpacosta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.