Severe Power Loss - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Severe Power Loss

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 11-09-2010, 03:46 PM   #1
mthomp83
2010 JK Wrangler 

Severe Power Loss

So I have the 2010 rubi with AEV 3.5" premium kit and 35" tires. The transmission is automatic w/ 4.10 gears.

I went camping this weekend in the North GA mountains and I had a severe loss of power when on the hills leading to the camp site. It literally felt like it was going to cut off on me a few times when going up hill.

I know it goes without being said that I will lose some power due to turning larger tires but I didn't expect it to be this much.

Has anyone experienced sever power loss when driving up hills or elevations with 3.5" and 35's?

Any suggestions for a remedy?

2010 JK Rubicon - Flame Red - 3.5" AEV Premium Suspension Lift w/ Bilstein 5100 Shocks, 17" AEV Savegre Wheels, 35x12.50 r17 BFG KM2's - Rugged Ridge XHD Modular Front Bumper w/ 10,500lb Winch - Rugged Ridge XHD Rear Bumper w/ Swing Out Tire Carrier - Poison Spyder JK Evap Skid Plate - KC Slimlite Long Range
mthomp83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2010, 03:57 PM   #2
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

Put 5.13 gears in it. Problem solved. Millions of threads about it.
Unread 11-09-2010, 04:13 PM   #3
paul84043
2012 JK Wrangler 

Was this a step function loss, or was it the first time you'd taken it out with the 35's?
I put 33's on our Wrangler Unlimited Sport and it's no speed demon, but still does okay... I don't want to damage out DD capability, so was thinking about 410's, but if you've got a Rubicon, you already have 410's...hmmmmmmm. ?
paul84043 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2010, 04:15 PM   #4
mthomp83
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul84043 View Post
Was this a step function loss, or was it the first time you'd taken it out with the 35's?
I put 33's on our Wrangler Unlimited Sport and it's no speed demon, but still does okay... I don't want to damage out DD capability, so was thinking about 410's, but if you've got a Rubicon, you already have 410's...hmmmmmmm. ?
this was the first time that i have taken it to higher elevations than my regular driving has taken me with 35's.

i have definitely noticed power loss after putting the 35's on but it really is fine around time

i just wasn't sure it it was the gearing that was the problem or the engine
2010 JK Rubicon - Flame Red - 3.5" AEV Premium Suspension Lift w/ Bilstein 5100 Shocks, 17" AEV Savegre Wheels, 35x12.50 r17 BFG KM2's - Rugged Ridge XHD Modular Front Bumper w/ 10,500lb Winch - Rugged Ridge XHD Rear Bumper w/ Swing Out Tire Carrier - Poison Spyder JK Evap Skid Plate - KC Slimlite Long Range
Unread 11-09-2010, 04:22 PM   #5
paul84043
2012 JK Wrangler 

An injected engine shouldn't suffer too much from altitude sickness, but I guess you never know. What tire/size did you put on?

Also, I have a standard, I hear that it delivers a little more oomph than the auto.

When you got back down did everything feel normal again?
Unread 11-09-2010, 04:30 PM   #6
chickenhawk7
2007 JK Wrangler 

I have 35s the AEV lift and I noticed loss of power, but nothing severe. I trail ride but not in high elevations but have never experienced severe power loss. I think you might have other issues other than having to regear. If you noticed this going up hills on the road then it could just be the gearing.
chickenhawk7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2010, 05:21 PM   #7
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

shoulda done some homework--

3.5" lift TOO-MUCH, soon front driveshaft boot loss, soon universal loss-

Why 35" don't need 35" and with 4.10 gears=speedo off,mileage off, odometer off-

You'll have to either regear/get rid of 35"/ get auto tranny aux cooler and get either AEV Procal Module or "superchip"

Not much else you can do--nothing for the engine !!

JIMBO
JIMBOX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2010, 05:37 PM   #8
Charles
2008 JK Wrangler 

What is a higher elevation? To me that's 11,000 feet. I know GA doesn't have those mtns. You'll loose about 15% of your power for every 5,000 ft.
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2010, 06:28 PM   #9
aristobrat
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMBOX View Post
Why 35" don't need 35" and with 4.10 gears=speedo off,mileage off, odometer off
The lift the OP is running (an AEV Premium) comes with an AEV ProCal included.
aristobrat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2010, 06:30 PM   #10
Doctor7474
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbloyer81 View Post
What is a higher elevation? To me that's 11,000 feet. I know GA doesn't have those mtns. You'll loose about 15% of your power for every 5,000 ft.
Alpharetta GA (Atlanta) 1135 foot elevation.

Highest point in the state = Brasstown Bald 4787 feet.

I agree with everyone else, more than likely gearing.

Modern fuel injection will easily handle a 3k foot elevation difference.

Or you got some not so good gas...
Doctor7474 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2010, 06:35 PM   #11
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

OOPs, however, he probably never utilized it for the reasons it's programed--

Quote:
Originally Posted by aristobrat View Post
The lift the OP is running (an AEV Premium) comes with an AEV ProCal included.
I have and it's made all the difference in the world with my JKU and Auto tranny/power/shifting/speedo-etc

He's gotta say something-otherwise were just wasting our time !!

JIMBO
Unread 11-09-2010, 07:21 PM   #12
paul84043
2012 JK Wrangler 

I'm in Utah, 4300(ish) ft, so to me high elevation is 11000, to 14000 ft (Guardsmans pass). We have property at 8000 and I've never noticed any loss at all in any injected vehicle driven there, or anywhere up to the approx 10,500 that we encounter hunting.....I really wonder if there's not something else going on....
Unread 11-09-2010, 07:50 PM   #13
mthomp83
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul84043 View Post
When you got back down did everything feel normal again?
yea everything was back to normal when i got back to normal elevations,actually there were not any changes unless it was going up a very steep hill

i see that people are questioning the elevations and you are right, there is only about a 3k elevation difference thats why i wasn't sure

and yes, i did use the procal module

for anyone questioning if i did my "homework" or not, trust me...i did
Unread 11-09-2010, 08:06 PM   #14
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

GOOD, don't be offended by my statements, I really expected you to respond--and you did, but

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthomp83 View Post
yea everything was back to normal when i got back to normal elevations,actually there were not any changes unless it was going up a very steep hill

i see that people are questioning the elevations and you are right, there is only about a 3k elevation difference thats why i wasn't sure

and yes, i did use the procal module

for anyone questioning if i did my "homework" or not, trust me...i did
You say you used the Procal Module !!---HOW

I've got a surprise for you if you answer me as I expect, please tell what you did with the Module !!

JIMBO
Unread 11-09-2010, 08:12 PM   #15
mthomp83
2010 JK Wrangler 

i set the procal module for the appropriate tire size which supposedly fixed the speedo, odo, and adjusted the automatic transmission shift points

i tested the speeds with my gps and they seem to be reading correctly

i think that my next upgrade will be gears....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.