Seemingly simple gas cap question - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 06-16-2010, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
2010Wrangler
2010 JK Wrangler 

Seemingly simple gas cap question

I think I read about a locking gas cap that sets itself to your Jeep key the first time you insert it. Anyone know who makes it and where to get one? Did I dream it?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-16-2010, 10:19 PM
doliss
2009 JK Wrangler 

You can get them from mopar directly, I don't have any experience with the cap though. I have thought about getting one also
post #3 of 6 Old 06-16-2010, 10:24 PM
JLC08JK
What was I thinking?

2008 JK Wrangler 

It's out there but I don't know where!
Not a dream

Jim

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 Old 06-16-2010, 11:01 PM
mrsig
2007 JK Wrangler 

You buy it from the dealer and they set your key to it!! Works great!! And you don't need to keep extra keys with you!

07 JKU To see mods & my Jeep in Action @

CEO of Black Sheep 4x4s

Member of CCJ, White Jeep Club Member #137.
post #5 of 6 Old 06-17-2010, 03:30 AM
Heywoz

I've got one. It does not set it's self when you use it. I brought it to a locksmith and they had it keyed in less than 10 minutes and it was $15 (I didn't even bother to ask how much it would be at the dealership). I had originally bought the $15 dollar gas cap at pepboys and I was able to open it, while locked, with very little trouble. The MOPAR one I have not been able to open while locked. Here is the part number- 05015636AB- It's a little spendy, but the quality is much better and it's nice not having 100 keys for every accessory.
post #6 of 6 Old 06-17-2010, 06:37 AM
Vin
2012 JK Wrangler 

I have the Mopar gas cap and had the service department set my key. $120 later and I have a locking gas cap. I have no complaints. Still on that New Jeep high. Just wanted you to know how expensive it is strait from the dealer.

The accessory that you can set to your ignition key is the hood lock. The gas cap needs a locksmith to do.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.