Seem to have got a genuine lemon - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Seem to have got a genuine lemon

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 02-14-2013, 04:43 PM   #1
Tyson0717
2011 JK Wrangler 

Seem to have got a genuine lemon

Now the jeep itself drives great and the engine seems good enough. But the ONLY electronic feature on the jeep, the cruise control, seems to be screwed up beyond repair.

It is still under warranty so this is Chrysler's problem, not mine . But I am extremely curious if I am alone on this problem. So I'll describe what I'm experiencing, and the lengths my local dealership has gone to try to fix it.

Problem: Basically the ON/OFF button is unreliable. Sometimes it works great, other times it don't. When it is in the mood to work the cruise control works fine, except for the cancel button being just as picky. What is most curious is I have never had any problems with the other buttons on my jeeps steering wheel.

Failed Fixes: It has been looked at by a dealership 5 times. Each time they confirmed the problem then replaced a part, suspecting that part is faulty. So if Im not mistaken they have installed:
2 x steering wheel button switch
2 x clockspring
1 x steering wheel wiring harness

They just put the steering wheel harness in after keeping my jeep overnight, I was optimistic that would fix it, but it hasn't.

Of course I'll be seeing the dealership again, I am not letting this go by unfixed. Not sure how because the dealership has admitted to me that they have no clue what the problem is. Any wise folk on here got a suggestion? In Canada here I don't believe there are any actual lemon laws, any idea how I can protect myself from getting stuck with this problem after warranty runs out? Its a paid for feature, and my right to demand that it works.

Tyson0717 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2013, 04:58 PM   #2
Mopar Fan

This may help:

www.camvap.ca
Unread 02-14-2013, 05:00 PM   #3
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

I believe that there is a cruise control bulletin for this. Lee posted Service Bulletin 18-024-11. Mine does this, too.

I've got a screenshot, but no link!
image001.jpg  
SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2013, 10:07 PM   #4
Tyson0717
2011 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for showing that bulletin to me. It sound quite like my problem indeed. On my job sheet the mechanic even noted my jeep had two of the codes mentioned in that bulletin. Thanks that could be my solution, only problem is my jeep already got flashed once when one of the steering button switches were installed.

Also I had no idea about the motor vehicle arbitration thing. I hope I don't end up with a situation where that is necessary though.
Tyson0717 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2013, 11:22 PM   #5
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

Glad I could point you in the right direction. Lee provides us with excellent info all the time! I grabbed that of the site a while ago, I'm experiencing the same issue here and there.

Let us know how you make out with it! Cheers
SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2013, 12:09 AM   #6
djm
2013 JK Wrangler 

My 2012 JKU has been in the shop twice for that, picked it up on Thursday (2/14/2013) after a 2 day stay and it is going back in the morning. Dealer service manager told me when he called me to tell me it was ready to be picked up that it might possibly happen again as there has been a "problem" with the cruise control switch from the day they first shipped the 2012 models. He goes on to say that he does not think that the underlying problem has been identified or corrected, so what he was saying was that even though his shop replaced the clock spring and the cruise control switch assembly (again) the problem could resurface at any point as the replacement parts being shipped to dealers have not been upgraded and therefore are susceptible to the same issues as the original factory installed one.

The area around the cruise control switch gets warm to the touch, actually borderline hot, the steering wheel mounted radio controls stop working, the EVIC controls stopped working. The EVIC suddenly says an oil change is needed, I change the oil every 3,000 miles without fail, and tonight on way home from dealership the CEL came on. I can only assume the CEL is connected to the shorted switch, but only time will tell. Jeep has about 14,500 miles on it right now.

That's my story about the cruise control switch and I'm sticking to it !

Dan

NJ/PA
djm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.